chip shop - beware!!!

Gillbob

hello! Dont be fooled!! Got a chippy (regular size!!) on saturday night and weighed it out of curiosity! It was 460g!!!!! Turned out to be like 30 Pro points!! beware!!!!!!!
Although youre weekly allowance is for this kinda thing, just be careful as the portion size guide is way wrong!!

400g = 26/27pp, the standard bag that ww say is a portion is a cone, which tbh is a good portion and thats 210g = 14pp

it's not ww's fault tbh on this one it's what we perceive to be portions in the real world a portion is a cone if you think about it, a standard bag is usually shared between a family etc it's just about limiting your portions and controlling them :) i have a cone now and even that's too much fills me up let alone a whole standard bag to myself lol

well maybe my stomach is just bigger than yours.. wasnt having a go at WW by any means, but some people may not realise what a standard portion is until they get into the plan a bit....

relax!!

it's not ww's fault tbh on this one it's what we perceive to be portions in the real world a portion is a cone if you think about it, a standard bag is usually shared between a family etc it's just about limiting your portions and controlling them :) i have a cone now and even that's too much fills me up let alone a whole standard bag to myself lol

I agree - it's definitely made me realise part of why I'm fat is because I consider a portion to be about twice the size they really are. Chips are a perfect example lol. I was properly shocked the first time I weighed my chippie chips!! :eek:

haha, I had the same reaction Auburn! News to me that a standard portion is for a family..... could explain alot or maybe some people have tinny tiny stomachs!!

well maybe my stomach is just bigger than yours.. wasnt having a go at WW by any means, but some people may not realise what a standard portion is until they get into the plan a bit....

relax!!

think your the one that needs to relax tbh and not flip when someone tries to help you learn about portion control.

Is it?! Oops...
:D

LOL Jen yep afraid so ;) :D xxx

hehe Sally. Very good. Im being told off by Smirky so I better not write anymore about portion control... if only we were all so disiplined so stop eating at the right amount of grams....

Where I grew up a SMALL chips could feed 3 people easily :rolleyes: I actually took a picture of it last time, it's immense (attached). For £1.20 too! I got a big shock when I moved daaahn south. Chip shops are not chains with standardised portions like McDs etc and will be completely different depending on which chippy you're in. The portion size guide is not wrong, your chippy is. People shouldn't be eating that much, that's why we're the 4th fattest country in the world. The eating out guide has Harry Ramsden's in which is 23pp for fish and chips so I use that as a guide as it's the same in every HR. It's a tray of chips, not a bag.

Attachments

• SNC15027.jpg
    SNC15027.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 14,425
Last edited:
Youre totally right. Its shocking at what the different chippys think a portion is. I didnt mean that ww was wrong just that a 'standard' portion to them is not necessarily what your own chippy considers a portion. I found that out first hand!! The thing with chips is, that when they are there the smell drive me mad and I keep picking at them! Its the smell, I swear they put something on them! Thanks for your info though. Probably the same with all eating out chains - even with the likes of chinese, a sit in portion is very rarely the same as some of the mamoth takeout portions you get... its just learning to ensure you dont take everything in the WW guide as gospel for every restaurant, take out etc..

I wish that weight watchers would put how many grams roughly their portion values are within the eating out book so I could weigh my takeaways and feel at ease with what I am eating, such as the great chow mein debate lol.

I'm so glad that we have this forum for extra support as I would have not known that 210grams of chippy chips is 14 points from the eating out book so thank you Smirky for providing this information thats super :) I can now weigh my portion of chips and be clear of how many points im using when eating my chips. :)

i think it's common sense really,,the reason we are at ww is because we've been tricking our trying to trick our bodies into thinking that a huge portion is really only a normal portion,,well i have anyway:D

Yeah to be honest I knew it wernt a normal portion too.. and I knew that I would put on weight by eating too much unhealthy but yummy junk food eeek, I just thank weight watchers that it still allows me to eat a little bit of the yummy unhealthy stuff if I feel like it, so this losing weight thing is actually ok and bearable :) I love being positive its great fun hehehe

Where I grew up a SMALL chips could feed 3 people easily :rolleyes: I actually took a picture of it last time, it's immense (attached). For £1.20 too! I got a big shock when I moved daaahn south. Chip shops are not chains with standardised portions like McDs etc and will be completely different depending on which chippy you're in. The portion size guide is not wrong, your chippy is. People shouldn't be eating that much, that's why we're the 4th fattest country in the world. The eating out guide has Harry Ramsden's in which is 23pp for fish and chips so I use that as a guide as it's the same in every HR. It's a tray of chips, not a bag.

Actually the chippy next to my home here in Bishop's Stortford (Hertfordshire) must have moved from the place you grew up because their small portion of chips is EXACTLY like that! last time we got them My fiancé's mum and dad, his little nephew, HIM and ME also managed to have ENOUGH chips to fill our stomach with just ONE £1.20 portion of chips from the chippy! And the single portion of cod we got was also enough to feed us all, it looked like a wrapped full french baguette... LOL

I get a junior box with a breast every Friday, I point it at 16 or so depending on how many chips I get in it, if it is more than it will be taken from my 49 that I generally don't use each week so I'm not gonna stress to much over the points in it.
Though, in saying that ,It's a pity that we cannot get the weights for a standard portion, that would be brill to know exactly what is what!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back