cholesterol question

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by dehli, 29 March 2009 Social URL.

1. dehli

dehli Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.47%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I had my cholesterol checked the other day and the doctor told me my good cholesterol was too low. The LDL cholesterol was 2.6 and the HDL was less than 1.1

He said it was probably nothing to worry about, which of course means I'm worring now. Do you think doing sw would have affected my good cholesterol? It's not like I can start guzzling olive oil and eating benecol stuff.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. eternity

eternity Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(42.61%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    SW
    You can raise your hdl cholesterol levels by eating certain foods and having some exercise.
    Raw onions, omega3 in fish, citrus fruits/apples/grapes, oats and wholegrains are all effective. The SW plan allows all of these to be included in your day.

Why not Google 'raising HDL cholesterol' for info.
    Ithink though that it's the ratio between good/bad cholesterol that's key, not the numbers taken singly.
    If you're worried go back to your doctor for advice.

4. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Any chance of using some syns for those important healthy fats ie oily fish, seeds and nuts? Or take some fish oil supplements, though I don't know how they are syned. Can you have oats? They'll be good

If not, regular aerobic exercise will help and of course a glass of wine in the evenings :D (That'll be one glass, not one bottle :D) Also increasing fruits and veggies helps raise HDL :clap:

If you can bear to eat 1/2 a raw onion a day, that'll raise HDL. Not sure I fancy that idea though :D

5. dehli

dehli Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.47%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks for your replies, I'll get some fish oil supplements. Surely they'll count as medicine and by syn free? The wine sounds a good idea too - any excuse!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.