Christiana's "persistence not perfection" food diary

quicky flicky through all diaries i am subscribed to (well, the first couple of pages anyway! not enough time to do this properly before xfactor starts!)

if you want, if you would like to, please join in the october flabfighters challenge! i know some of you have done it already and it's been lovely talking to you on the thread! anyone else who wants to join up for a teeny bit of extra support, please feel free :) link below, just pick a colour, add your name and the amount you wish to lose, and update weekly with any changes! good luck to everyone, and hope you're having a brilliant weekend :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-teams/170932-flabfighters-october-challenge.html#post2868579

Sunday, 3rd October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
Boiled potatoes fried in frylight with Bovril, chilli, onions, veggies and baked beans
2 Boiled eggs (more like brunch...)

Lunch
Boiled rice, stew (9 syns)
Chicken with skin (3 syns)
Mixed veggies

Dinner
Leftovers from lunch

Snacks
2 Alpen lights (b)

Healthy Extras
2 Alpen lights (above)

Drinks
Tesco sparkling flavoured water
Ribena

Total syns

The wedding was fantastic! Being MOH, didn't have too many opportunites for food - definitely got some sort of body magic in! I had a little champagne and Moet to toast the bride and groom (and I rarely drink), a couple of non-diet drinks and one plate of food (which I didn't even get to finish!) - I didn't even get cake! But I did get a few sugared almonds...:D

I was sooooooo tired and slept in today, I still hurt a little but, they're on honeymoon, and it's over! Whew!!

Wedding sounds amazing and well done on resisting the food!
You deserve a nice rest now!!
Where did they go on honeymoon? Somewhere far away from our yucky weather hopefully!!

They're spending it in London due to money constraints (luxury hotel away from the kids for a week), but they plan to go away once they've saved. It's looking like Egypt!

Gah, I need a rest! I've decided to revisit the plan from the beginning and try and get into some more exciting meals. I've been watching Nigella (I love her...how is she not fat????) and decided to try my hand at reworking some of her recipes and make them a bit more SW friendly. I'll try and post some pics once I have the ingredients etc.

I'm still at 2st 1lb lost, but I need a real push this week as it's a * week, which usually means pain AND munchies!

Monday, 4th October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
2 Boiled eggs
3 Pagen wholegrain krisprolls (b)

Lunch
Tesco mushroom couscous (0.5 syns)
Cooked as directed (no oil or butter), then fried in frylight with chilli, onion, mixed veggies and a little liquid chicken stock
Served with skinless roast chicken

Dinner
Boiled potatoes
Baked beans
Mixed veggies
Skinless roast chicken (leftovers from lunch)

Snacks
5 Custard creams (15 syns)

Healthy Extras
Krisprolls (above)
Semi skimmed milk for tea/hot choc (a)

Drinks
Ribena
Tea
2 x 11g Sachets of Options cracking hazelnut hot choc (3 syns)

Total syns

Last edited:
Like your plan - I LOVE Nigella too, she just makes everything look so effortless. My fave book of hers is Nigella Express, although most of the recipes are most definitely not SW friendly, although probably adaptable.
Reminds me, I need to nab it back off my SIL - I lent it to her ages ago so she could try some of the recipes!

Valentine Warner I've been watching a lot of recently - he just loves his food and it's so refreshing to see someone so passionate about what they're eating

I've never seen Valentine Warner, might look out for it on the food network. Ina Garten is another one I watch (Barefoot Contessa), but 99.9% of her creations are definitely NOT SW friendly!

I've seen two Nigella recipes that could possibly be reworked. The first is "donut french toast" (5.5 syns) and the second is "chicken pot pie" (it serves 2 and I've worked out it comes to 18.5 syns for the whole thing, without pastry it's 11.5 syns, I'm thinking it could serve well topped with mashed potato, swede or butternut squash instead).

I didn't go to class today, I hardly ate yesterday and have been glued to my hot water bottle for 48 hours. I need to go shopping too, but I should be alright to go in a few days (fingers crossed!)

Ah I really feel for you, definitely stay stuck to your hot water bottle and stay away from chocolate!!
I LOVE the look of the doughnut french toast, but I think I'd want to make a real version, can't see the SW version being quite the same!

Another lovely recipe is the cheddar cheese risotto - quite easy to adapt, especially on a green day where you can use a HEXB for cheese as well!
I love Ina as well, she's fab - but I agree I can't see many of her recipes being adaptable to SW, with all the cream, mayonnaise, sour cream etc she uses!

Hope you feel better soon xx

Thanks Sarah! I'm feeling much better today and I'm pleased to say my house is completely junk food free!

The syn value is for the 'real' one, but with a few changes - using wholemeal bread as a b choice (or if you're lucky enough to find a supermarket that sells nimble white - I haven't found one yet, it's like looking for treasure), and replacing the full fat butter with Flora extra light. You could use sweetener instead of caster sugar to lower the syn value, but I'd keep that and just reduce the amount - maybe a couple of tsp instead of 25g.

The cheddar cheese risotto sounds good, I may just have to raid her website for more adaptable ideas.

Thursday, 7th October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
2 Boiled eggs
3 Pagen wholegrain krisprolls (b)

Lunch
Pasta with mackerel sauce and stew (9 syns)
Mixed veggies

Dinner
Leftovers from lunch

Snacks
SW crisps made in the microwave

Healthy Extras
Krisprolls (above)

Drinks

Total syns

Last edited:
Friday, 8th October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
Pancakes!
1 Egg
2 tbsp of plain flour (6 syns)
Almond flavouring
Sweetener
A little SS milk from allowance
Fried in frylight

They came out more like crepes, but still nice and didn't taste eggy!

Lunch
3 Pagen wholemeal krisprolls (b)
3-egg omelette with onion
Baked beans

Dinner
Boiled rice, fried in frylight with:
Onion
Mixed veggies
Liquid stock
2 Maggi cubes
Chilli
Black pepper
A tin of mackerel

Snacks
SW crisps made in the microwave
More pancakes (6 syns)

Healthy Extras
SS milk and krisprolls (above)

Drinks
Tesco diet cola with almond

Total syns

Last edited:
Yum proper pancakes !!
How many did that mix make?
I don't mind the syn free ones but would love some real ones!!

It made 3 decent sized ones. I think I'd add less milk next time - try having two thick ones. The almond flavouring made them taste lovely though! I don't normally like that tinny aftertaste of sweetener, but the flavouring disguised it very well.

Yum I might have to try that, think I'll add vanilla extract yummy!

Saturday, 9th October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
2 Boiled eggs

Lunch
Leftovers from last night's dinner

Dinner
Bovril roast potatoes
Mixed veggies
Baked beans
Roast chicken

Snacks
None

Healthy Extras
krisprolls (above)

Drinks
Tesco diet cola with almond

Total syns

Check you out having no syns yesterday!! Was that deliberate or did you just not fancy anything else?
Hope you're having a good weekend

I know, I totally shocked myself! It was a mixture of being full and not having any temptations in the house!

Sunday, 10th October 2010: EE day

Breakfast
2 Boiled eggs

Lunch
Rice with stew (9 syns)
Chicken with skin (3 syns)

Dinner
Leftovers from lunch

Snacks
None

Healthy Extras
krisprolls (above)

Drinks

Total syns

Still feeling a bit under the weather....my * week seems to not want to end! I'm hoping my weight loss isn't negatively affected this week, but I suddenly feel bloaty and heavy again....ugggghhhhhh!

Ah hun I'm sure you'll be fine - you've had a good week so if it's not reflected in your next WI it certainly will the week after.
Hope you're feeling better today

Back