Citric acid in bars.....

The whole citric acid debate is something of a myth. It came about because children can be treated for epilepsy with a ketogenic diet, but kids are apt to want to drink large quantities of diet sodas which can contain high amounts of citric acid, which affects the 'citric acid chain' in getting into ketosis. Too much was found to possibly stop them getting into ketosis, but once you are in ketosis, its highly unlikey that consuming citric acid will take you out of it.

Are we right to just assume though?

Maybe not :) But im just going on the fact that we all seem to get into ketosis and it seems to work. Im not in any way arguing that its right lol, just dont want people worrying to the point that they stop having the bars because theres a bit of citric acid in them:) Have we had a reply yet? Be interesting to hear there take on this xx

I agree with Cybills comment,we all know it works if you stick to it so is it really worth worrying about a tiny bit of citric acid???

aktrs said:
I agree with Cybills comment,we all know it works if you stick to it so is it really worth worrying about a tiny bit of citric acid???

I think so yes. Personally I like to know the reason behind something. I've never been one of these people who accepts something 'because we say so' If there's logical explanation then brilliant but I want to know what it is.

It would be interesting to find out if citric acid is a no no in a diet why it is in the bars. Ie, i dont have the bars so would i be right in saying i could have a small amount of citric acid and stay in ketosis. (i wouldnt, but i guess some might think like this and it might have an effect on there diet so best it gets cleared up) x

The reason they say no citric acid is because it can knock you out of ketosis - as it is a componenet of thw ay your body breaks down glucose for energy.

As has been mentioned we still consume glucose on a VLCD but in controlled quantities so that our bodies stay in ketosis. This will work the same way for citric acid - therfore will be perfectly acceptable to have a small amount in bars.

I would imagine that VLCD's diest say no to citric acid as its hard to quantify how much you are actually consuming especially with drinks - you would have to find out how much citric acid is in each different drink - manufactures don't list these figures so its a pain for diet companies to draw up a guide.

I heard that 100g of carbs or less is fine to keep most people in ketosis however these numbers will vary depending on individual metabolisms.

So I don't think anyone should be worried about the bars - and exante do no recomened more than one a day due to higher carb content.

I would think if they haven't answered by now, they wont!

I like the bars, I love the diet, I love the weight loss I am having after years of maintaining!

I do like to know how stuff works though, which is why I could never trust slimming world enough to lose weight on it.

Oh yeah i totally agree with that. Slimming world always worked for me but i couldnt get my head around how u could consume so many calories (and carbs on green days) and lose weight and keep it off. Its mad. I like to know where i stand with things haha x

I did SW too! The first time I got to target after I had my kids I just maintained. I think the trick is to recognise when you are full and not be greedy, unfortunately I am a comfort eater and would eat when I wasn't hungry because it was 'free' and save up my syns for wine which lead to snacking I would forget about. The first time round I wasn't as greedy, went to the gym and had my wedding to aim for! After the kids I was tired continually and ate continually! In fact I have tried them all WW, Scottish slimmers etc etc. Even tried the Hypnoband. VLCD was the first to work for me in years!

Back