Coca cola, Mars & Subway to cut calories

it could just mean them making them smaller lol .. i don't see how subway can make anything lower in calories as everything is fresh, unless they do something to the bread..

will wait and see

it could just mean them making them smaller lol .. i don't see how subway can make anything lower in calories as everything is fresh, unless they do something to the bread..

will wait and see

Maybe they will use leaner meats etc? Or use weight watchers bread instead lol

I wonder if they'll be using sweeteners in coke..but surely that'd just make it diet :confused:

I agree with Malc, it'll be a smaller portion for the same price to rake in the ££££ whilst looking ethical :sigh: Still, we live in hope :rolleyes:

I would have thought there was quite a few things that Subway could do to make their products more friendly to SW followers and those looking for a healthy alternative.

Subway is generally good food. If you arent counting calories, you get a mix of meat, bread and salad, pretty much a good range of food groups, all freshly prepared.

For followers of SW the bread is the killer.

The easiest solution is wholemeal bread. A six inch subway bread roll is about 75g of bread, only about 18g above the healthy extra allowance. So maybe a couple of syns at most for the bread if they offered a wholemeal option. But considering all the other stuff in there like the salad, i would have thought it could be syn free (as long as you pile in the salad and dont sauce it up).

Subway already offer low fat mayo, replace the low fat option with the extra low fat mayo, 1/10th of the calories of the normal stuff, and you cant tell the difference in a sandwich.

The salad is all free/superfree, and the meats if prepared properly could also be free, especially the chicken. There are plenty of cooked sliced meat options out there that are syn free, its just up to Subway if they want to use them.

A virtually syn free six inch subway is easily obtainable on most of their range. I am surprised that Subway havent taken the opportunity to take advantage of it in the UK. There counters would be full of SW users..

In the USA Subway, got itself (not entirely justified) the reputation as practically diet food, when it is certainly better than a big mac, it isnt diet food.

Well I think thats really why its NOT going to be all that easy for them to reduce calories. :confused: Bread is bread is bread really - you cant reduce the calories in it by much. I guess they could put more yeast in so theres more air in it and less actual bread ie calories, or they could use reduced fat in the bread recipes, or omit the seeds but its not going ot make a massive difference. Think of WW bread compared to normal bread - its lighter, airier, thinner but not massively different in calories, weight for weight.

Salad is salad is salad. Its already healthy and extremely low calorie so there nothing they can do there tp reduce calories further. Maybe they'll use smaller/less bread and stuff it with more veg?

The only thing I can see is to cut the fats and sugars in the mayo and other sauces. Other than that its really a case of less bread and meat, more salad and veg. Which IMO is till going the way of £££££££ rather than ethical reasons. :confused:

Well I think thats really why its NOT going to be all that easy for them to reduce calories. :confused: Bread is bread is bread really - you cant reduce the calories in it by much. I guess they could put more yeast in so theres more air in it and less actual bread ie calories, or they could use reduced fat in the bread recipes, or omit the seeds but its not going ot make a massive difference. Think of WW bread compared to normal bread - its lighter, airier, thinner but not massively different in calories, weight for weight.

Salad is salad is salad. Its already healthy and extremely low calorie so there nothing they can do there tp reduce calories further. Maybe they'll use smaller/less bread and stuff it with more veg?

The only thing I can see is to cut the fats and sugars in the mayo and other sauces. Other than that its really a case of less bread and meat, more salad and veg. Which IMO is till going the way of £££££££ rather than ethical reasons. :confused:

But in SW we dont count calories. Food isnt 'food'. The calories in the food arent that important if, we use the healthy extra allowance.

The rest of the ingredients are near syn free. Subway dont need to reduce their portions, just make a commercial decision to source meat that is syn free friendly, offer high fibre wholemeal bread and an extra low mayo option.

All commercially possible. A SW follower could have one of those sandwiches every day of the week for lunch and no where near hit their syn limits. The super free content is easily the third as well, as it should be.

Malc-D said:

will wait and see

Sounds most likely... Reduce calories by making smaller portions! I suppose I don't have to worry as it's about 200 miles to my nearest subway!

Sounds most likely... Reduce calories by making smaller portions! I suppose I don't have to worry as it's about 200 miles to my nearest subway!

By the time you've walked there and back, you could of burned off the subway :rolleyes: lol

Maybe smaller portions. I guess we will see in a few years..until then, i'll stick to Subway salad bowls!

Penguin_Hell said:
By the time you've walked there and back, you could of burned off the subway :rolleyes: lol

Maybe smaller portions. I guess we will see in a few years..until then, i'll stick to Subway salad bowls!

:) might be a good idea! The walk would certainly help!

all it says subway is going to do is include their 5 healthy subs in the three pound lunch deal....

all it says subway is going to do is include their 5 healthy subs in the three pound lunch deal....

I did notice there were healthy subs that are less than 500 calories. One of them is Veggie delite (which is salad, cheese and bread). But it said something like it's only less than 500 calories if you don't have the cheese on. So basically, it's a salad sandwich!

It'd be nice to put healthier ones on the £3 deal though..or nice if they made the salads on the deal too, which i don't think they do right now.

Just read the article again, and it mentions walkers cutting calories by 78 calories in the grab bags!

I've recently heard.that since being sponsers of 'the biggest loser uk' subway are happy to scoop out the centre of your sub, taking out the majority of the bread quota and lowering syns.

We thought this sounded too good to be true so my friend tried it asked and was met with a smile and 'no problem' she had the syn free meats and,loaded it up with lots of salad. She was stuffed and said it was lovely to be able to.grab.a low syn lunch when out and about and feel completely satisfied! In fact, she has a sweet tooth but turned down cake with her coffee later that afternoon as she was still full!

I think this's fantastic and shall be heading straight to subway next time i'm in town at lunchtime :)

Problem is if you do that you then have no idea what to syn it as. At least if you go with the full 6 inch sub you know what the syns are and 9 syns is perfectly do-able from your daily allowance :)

I've recently heard.that since being sponsers of 'the biggest loser uk' subway are happy to scoop out the centre of your sub, taking out the majority of the bread quota and lowering syns.

We thought this sounded too good to be true so my friend tried it asked and was met with a smile and 'no problem' she had the syn free meats and,loaded it up with lots of salad. She was stuffed and said it was lovely to be able to.grab.a low syn lunch when out and about and feel completely satisfied! In fact, she has a sweet tooth but turned down cake with her coffee later that afternoon as she was still full!

I think this's fantastic and shall be heading straight to subway next time i'm in town at lunchtime :)

But if they scoop out all the bread, you might as well have a salad? lol

Lol yeah I get that point totally but you still have the shell of the roll and that being at least a 6"sub it's still considerable bread! .....much more satisfying than 'just a salad' :)

PatchworkPuss said:
Problem is if you do that you then have no idea what to syn it as. At least if you go with the full 6 inch sub you know what the syns are and 9 syns is perfectly do-able from your daily allowance :)

I'd syn it as 6 or a HEB if having wholemeal..suppose it depends how rigid you are. Very fair point tho

Back