Coke Vs Orange Juice

Konvictz

as some of you may or maynot know, ive startd weight loss. and i went tesco's the other day and i brought 8 1 litre cartons of orange juice (from concentrate?) for £5.

i got home and i saw that it has 26.3 grams of sugar per 250ml, when coke has 26.5 grams per 250ml.

i mean all my life i heard orange juice was great and coke was bad because of the sugar (and thats why i probably got so fat right now).

should i stop drinking orange juice now? because it appears as though its as bad as coke. can someone clarify this for me? thanks u.

could it perhaps be that the orange juice sugar is fructose whereas the coke sugar is sucrose. Sucrose raises your blood sugar level quicker than fructose, therefore resulting in sugar crash---> hunger cycle.
Also remember coca cola contains caffine aswell which you should try to reduce.

I don't know if any of that is right as i'm no dietician but to be honest I don't think any other those pre-packed fruit juices are particulary good for you due to all the sugar added.
How about trying to juice your own fruit or swapping some of those glasses with water?:)

You could try watering some of that orange juice down a little, or drink a glass as part of your 5-a-day? Don't be scared, at least it's not all chemicals in a bottle! Just try not to drink too much of the juice, but do enjoy it on a daily basis in small quantities. :)

lol i cant believe i wasted all that money on juice. shows how stupid i am lol.

hmm wat do with 7 cartons of orange juice. let me think....

i guess il just leave it for everyone else to drink in the house.

can anyone recomend a juice or drink which is actually healthy for me?

yes i been trying to drink water, but omg the taste is soo awful after a while.

by the way, u know recently a friend of mine has been telling me that caffiene is aparantly good for weight loss. aparantly it burns more fat, do u know anything about that? personally its only about cardio, weight training and eating slightly less for me.

brought 8 1 litre cartons of orange juice (from concentrate?) for £5.

Whoops. Everything in moderation my dear man. Even the healthy stuff :D In other words. Healthy stuff = very good, too much of the same healthy stuff = not quite so good.

Certainly better than coke from a health point of view. Try diluting it with sparkling water. Makes a nice drink.

Do you drink hot drinks? If so, some/most/all of your fluid intake could be some of the great herbal teas such as green tea, peppermint tea or redbush. All of course, there's always normal tea and coffee :clap:

by the way, u know recently a friend of mine has been telling me that caffiene is aparantly good for weight loss. aparantly it burns more fat, do u know anything about that? personally its only about cardio, weight training and eating slightly less for me.

Yes, caffeine gets a bad rap. It's no where near as bad for you as people seem to think. It's rich in antioxtidants, and reduce the risk of certain cancers. Plus other benefits.

But again in moderation. 150 strong cups of coffee in a couple of hours could possibly kill you ;)

2-3 cups a day is good :)

As for bodybuilders using caffeine. Yep, though they tend to get it in much larger doses than coffee normally delivers. So don't think of it in terms of a weight reduction drink, just another drink that will help towards your fluid intake :clap:

Oh, and it's not a diuretic as some people seem to think

Don't buy loads of anything. Go for variety as two different veggies (for example) is a whole lot better for you than 2 lots of the same (different antioxidants).

Keeps things interesting aswell:)

OJ vs Coke? No contest! They both have the same calorie content and similar sugar content but OJ is rich in vitamin C which is good for you. Check the date on the cartons, you will probably find it will last a while. A glass or 2 a day is absolutely fine and there are health benefits. Coke is just chemicals and corrodes your teeth. TBH, since i started drinking flavoured sparkling water I don't really care too much for the taste of coke anymore

I usually drink cups of tea and green tea and sometimes fruit juices.

well i dont drink any tea or cofee or any other drinks (no alcohol as well). i did drink alot of coke until recently though.

infact i really dont like drinking cofee or red bull. it makes me very very tired, i have no idea why. soon as i drink it, i feel so sleepy - i thought it was meant to keep you up all night. i only drink red bull if i want a really good nights sleep, i have to admit a sleep after red bull is amazing, i sleep for 6 hours and it feels like i slept for 12 hours.

but flavoured sparking water sounds very intresting, i must go and buy some.

the hardest part of this new dieting has been the coke. in the first week i went without coke, and then when it got to saturday night i drank 2 litre bottle in a few hours. i wouldnt describe my self as a coke addict ever, but i certainly do get the urges. so i drink just a little bit of coke every few days to keep that desperate feeling down.

im kind of glad i dont have to drink all that orange juice, the taste was sort of getting on my nerves.

i brought some oranges and bananas. it took me ages to open the first orange, i just cudnt get the skin of lol.

Orange juice is very rarely any better than coke. As most of these juices actually don't have much vitamin C. Because they only contain a small amount of actual orange juice and the rest is added water and sugar. Pure orange juice would be healthier but the majority sold in the supermarket are not pure juice. Neither are most served in restaraunts, cafes etc. You can tell the difference by the taste. So simply buying any orange juice or ordering it when you don't know what type it is, believing it to be the healthier choice is wrong. The majority of the time it won't be any healthier than Coke.

The only way drinking OJ would be any healthier than drinking coke. Is if you always make sure you buy Pure orange juice like Tropicana and limit it to only one glass a day. As it has alot of vitamin C as that is all it is. Just orange juice and no water or extra sugar added. Also it is healthier because while still being high in sugar it is fruit sugar that occurs naturally in the orange juice and is not as bad for you as the type in coca cola. You still shouldn't drink more than one glass a day though as then the negatives start to outweigh the benefits. You can get all the vitamin C you need from just one glass so you are not getting anymore nutritional benefit by drinking more. Your five fruit and veg a day has to come from different sources so two glasses will still only count towards one of your five fruit and veg. And while fruit sugar is not as bad as the type in coke etc that does not mean it is good for you. It is sugar and still has alot of the associated problems for instance will still rot your teeth. And drinking more than one glass a day will result in you consuming alot of it. When it's not worth it as you will get no more nutritional benefit than from just having one glass.

Last edited:
Hi
I had a really interesting conversation about coke, OJ and wine with a friend who is a naturopath and nutrionist.

She would agree with the poster who says that overloading on orange juice isn't necessarily any healthier than coke. The sugar (natural) content is high and whilst yes it will count to 1 of your 5 a day you're not getting as much of the fibre content. The reaction in your stomach can actually also stimulate your appetite hence you're more hungry - not always a good thing when you're trying to lose weight! With coke she says from a calorie point of view if you're drinking the diet kind then fine but it's the toxins which are the real problem. As soon as it hits your insides, your liver gets to work on dealing with the toxins / chemicals and fat burning (the other thing your liver does!) takes second place. With wine apparently it's a similar thing and it's been clinically proven that after drinking wine (alcohol of any kind I guess) your body's ability to burn fat is reduced by something like 75% for 8 hours or more.....

you can get cartons of freshly squezed orange juice, that is what i buy, we all drink it, its very good for you, but not too often or it can give you the squits! :D

Hi there, steer clear of fruit juices, they are high in calories, it is far, far better to eat a real orange with all the fibre, (that's why juices have to be counted as Syns in Slimming World) It is best to stick to water, still or sparkling.....a wonderful habit for your body and skin. I might have a diet coke about 5 times a YEAR as the acids and additives in it, I feel, are toxic to my body!!!

Hi there, steer clear of fruit juices, they are high in calories, it is far, far better to eat a real orange with all the fibre, (that's why juices have to be counted as Syns in Slimming World) It is best to stick to water, still or sparkling.....a wonderful habit for your body and skin. I might have a diet coke about 5 times a YEAR as the acids and additives in it, I feel, are toxic to my body!!!
Whilst all that is true the original debate was 'Which is better, OJ or full fat Coke'.

Back