Stabilization CONSOSTAB (shared diary)

Right, another WI and time for an update.

Well the news is good - I have apparently lost a little on last week, so the trend is going the right way and this is how I did it:
Stuck to conso rules, but with 3Tb oatbran and 1TB linseed every day (except PP day).

To keep things even, I had my small portion of carbs, plus the cheese (sometimes in the form of hummus, pate, salami...)
1 small glass of fresh fruit juice at breakfast and one portion of fruit (I did pay attention this time!), no dried fruit.

I had some near-Galas:
Friday: Baked Trout in white wine (in a foil parcel) plus a glass of wine to go with it, but no extra carbs, just lots of Veg & Salad
Sat (or was it Sun?): Moroccan chicken stew with a normal helping of Couscous (with dried apricots), plus full-fat coconut yoghurt for dessert, and another helping of that the next day (as nobody else liked it of course!)
And Wednesday night we had (fat-reduced) German Nuremberg sausages, so I had three small ones (=1 'normal sized')!

Generally with a very light hand in the carbs portion department....

Extras:
One day the family had pizza, and I had a sliver (1/12th maybe), to go with my mushroom and pepper omelette.

One small handful of Japanese rice crackers on Weds.

But really really really no chocolate, no biscuits etc :sigh:

However I did make that no-tolerateds cheesecake (see recipes), and a large batch of Oatbran biscuits portioned in 1 biscuit = 1/2 Tb oatbran for ease of dosage. And of course I made muffins on some days too.

So I hope to carry on like this till the end of the month, although I may just have to allow myself a little treat this weekend, or a proper Gala dessert (we have some nice mini-Magnums in the freezer...), otherwise I will crack. Our cupboards are, of course, still filled with (carby) goodies from Belgium that my parents brought, even though they were a lot more restrained than they used to be!

My achievement this week was Wednesday where I was alone at home all day (washing machine repair), those days are hardest to resist the tempation to switch to a 'gala' lunch / afternoon / evening (you know what I mean). So I spent the day cooking dukan friendly food: a conso-quiche (which I am having today +has gone into the freezer), a cheesecake, a huge pot of stewed Rhubarb and the rest of the fresh Rhubarb also went into the freezer...
And I did not stray - Phew :)

Sorry Jo, no detailed breakdown this time!

Soooo - onwards and downwards have a good week everyone!

It's reassuring to know that any gains can still be lost during Stab, Anja, and it's very helpful to read about how you did it. Well done. I'm sure you'll be back to normal Stab soon; I guess it's just a question of making up for any excessive periods, such as holidays, Easter, Christmas, etc. As long as that's possible, then there's no reason why we can't maintain forever. :)

BTW, I tried the Conso version of your quiche and it was most delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

Hello fellow Dukaneers,

Time for a long update as usual. Well I have STS +200gr. Which is OKAY I guess, I had a nice weekend – but knowing that I could have achieved that same outcome by actually having a treat every other day doesn’t help… STS is obviously much easier than losing, and my PPs are also not as white or lean as they could be (salmon, herring).

But hey, I’ll just plod on like this till the holiday now, allow the weekends to be relaxed without being OTT (lots of events and distractions coming up that all involve picnics and BBQs). I hoped to go below 64 again before we left but maybe it’s not to be. It’s hard on my mind though, leaving me to reach for the treats because ‘it won’t make a difference anyway’. Well, one too many and it will, again. This morning making breakfast for the kids, temptation lurks everywhere - I had a spoonful of Oatibix (no sugar) and a sip of home made banana smoothie (no *added* sugar…).Must snap out of that...

This week I had a more relaxed weekend and then fairly strict weekdays, but of course I *do* have a TB linseed a day, a couple of fruit (one juiced every morning) and lots of Veg so I should not expect losses at all, even if I hope for them in my heart of hearts. I do turn down offers of food / cake at work etc. and had no sneaky extras during the week.

The breakdown (as good as I can remember) especially for Jo:

Fri (lax)
B: Oatbran pancake with quark and fruit
S: Piece of cake at work
L: Piece of Dukan Quiche, carrot salad. Tofu lemon cream
S: Oatbran biscuits
D: Grissini with hummus, Pork medallions (no fat) in a creamy leek and mushroom sauce (made with philly extra-light). Belgian beer :D, Chocolate biscuit, small Easter Egg

Sat (lax)
B: Oatbran linseed porridge with yoghurt & fruit
S: Oatbran biscuits
L: Asparagus, Bread with Philly EL, salad (cucumber, tomatoes…), roast beef
S: 2 yummy biscuits from the stash ;-)
D: Chicken meatballs in tomato sauce with small helping (total 2TB) of couscous with Peas, Yoghurt with pear

Sun (very lax)
B: Muesli (inc fruit & nut, no sugar) with Oatbran and linseed & plain yoghurt

S: Licking the spoon during baking :eek::eek:; half a home made (=less fat, less sugar) choc chip muffin
L: Smoked Salmon, Dukan bread, quark and salad
S: Piece of baked Cheesecake (recipe with crust but made with quark).
L: Moussaka – Dukan friendly but including potatoes, Mini Magnum ice cream

Mon (strict from now onwards)
B Dukan pancake inc linseed with quark
S Oatbran muffins
L Roast beef & peppers salad with quark, small slice of bread with pate
D Chicken Stirfry with peppers & carrots + spring greens, Tofu lemon cream

Tue
B: ? Dukan porridge or Pancake
S: Apple
L: Grilled Aubergine and roast beef’salad, Dukan bread sandwich with breasola, Yoghurt
D: Broccoli Pasta bake including 80gr cooked pasta and 40gr cheese, 2 lowfat sausages. I did not finish it (>see Thu), Yoghurt
S: After yoga: Tofu lemon cream

Wed
B: Oat bran linseed porridge with fruit yoghurt
S: Apple & babybel
L: Leftovers (pasta bake + chicken stirfry), Yoghurt with oat bran
D: Butternut chicken curry with extra spring greens and a palm-sized piece of naan
Rhubarb and (homemade, diet) custard
Treat after weekly shop: Muller orange yogurt with choc sprinkles

Fishy Thursday:
B Oat bran pancake with cottage cheese
S Dukan bread with vanilla quark
L Dukan bread with bresaola, Herring Salad (dill & fromfrais), 100gr smoked salmon, Sweetened yoghurt
D Omelette with fish, FF jelly & yoghurt

The plan for the coming weekend, in broad strokes, as I can’t recall the rest, is

Tonight dinner: Grilled turkey steaks and Halloumi cheese (10%fat), steamed asparagus or cauli. Glass of White Wine. Maybe some mashed or baked potato (no butter)
Sat dinner: home made Pizzas and chocolate dessert. Maybe another glass of wine as the bottle will probably not have been finished.
Sun: lunchtime picknic with Dukan quiche, D: Dukan beef stroganoff, no carbs, but we still have some butternut squash in the fridge, yum!

The rest of today I should be able to not stray again. Lunch was:
Carrot, tomato & lettuce salad with roast beef. Dukan bread with quark and turkey slices. yoghurt.
2 plums at 10.30.
Cup of tea when making the kid's tea, maybe have a few tomatoes.

Ok now I wanted to air something different: exercise. I don't do enough of it. My relatively active lifestyle (daily cycling and walking) is clearly not enough.

I have recently stumbled across the ‘Couch to 5K’ programme, and it sounds do-able to me.
Get running with Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

You download the podcasts and go off running with a trainer in your ear. I’m very very tempted by the idea and have actually got myself new running shoes the other day, because they were on offer.

At the moment I’m going to find it hard to make 3 half hours (plus changing and showering etc) in my week / evening, spaced a day apart, but I can see this as something to try in the summer holidays when I have no evening commitments. Once I reach the goal of being able to run I can then adjust the schedule to suit my lifestyle. If I can pull this off, maintaining will be a doddle … I'm not scared at the prospect as I just ran up two big flights of stairs and I wasn't even out of breath. The other day I jogged home from school (because no kids in tow, a rare occasion), walking once to cross a road and while I was out of breath, I was able not to stop all the way home. Ok ok it's only 500m :D:D but I would not have been able to do this pre-weightloss!

Right, now I've aired the idea I might actually have to stick to it!

I downloaded the app for it a while ago with the thought of trying on the treadmill if not brave enough to go outside. But havnt motivated myself to start.

Your lax days dont sound that lax to me, but agree you have to stop picking at the kids stuff - you've said thats been an issue before. Think of Jo's phrase, wasting calories on that, rather than choosing something (or going without).

Thanks jaqys - the picking, I can honestly say that it's under control - EXCEPT this morning, I really really wanted a taste of it.

The running idea appealed as it's summer, it's flexible, I decide when I do it (getting DD2 to bed on time is always a struggle with my current two evening things) and I can even 'take it on holiday', I just need a bit of commitment (and a suitable MP3 player).

I think it's a question of focusing on an approximate figure, rather than trying to worry about a particular, strict target weight. You seem to be getting there, though, and aren't stressing out about it so much anymore, which is wonderful! I think I shall probably end up with choosing an ideal weight range so that I can keep an eye on things and try and remedy things if I go over or under that range, instead of fixating on a certain figure (which is what I would normally tend to do).

I'm so glad that you finally got your lovely Belgian beer. Did it taste absolutely fantastic? :)

Very impressed with your new exercise plan. You must keep us updated with news of your progress.

Just a quick update to note a few permanent changes.

No longer have 0% yogurt as the kids were eating them and too confusing to make different ones without us eating the wrong ones, so everyone is on semi-skimmed milk yogurts now. Still keeping the sweetner though as I don't like the sugar 'crunch'.

Have eaten mainly conso without the galas this past week, so feeling much better with less carbs in me - think I'll stay like this (invitations aside) throughout the summer and keep wholegrain carbs only (and the odd potato) for salads, etc.

Not weighed (and husband says scales aren't working) but stomach less bloated, definitely.:D

On a 'boo hiss' aside, we have a leaky pipe (and the kitchen floor has been drilled through/dug up to detect it) so that's a pain and although we were planning on rejigging the kitchen and changing the flooring, it wasn't on the agenda for a year or more, so we will have to rethink. Kitchen floor has boards over it just now to stop us breaking limbs:(. Plumber coming back tonight to repair - he said we were really unlucky as it's very, very rare. Lucky that we caught it in time before the leaky pipe turned into a burst one though *trying to find the positives*.

Oh no, Laura, how awful about the leaking pipe! Hope it gets sorted soon. Could you put down some temporary cheaper flooring in the meantime until you get around to the complete re-jig?

As you say, it's best to look on the bright side if possible - a burst pipe would have been even more horrendous. Not much fun as it is, though.

Are you changing back to less galas specifically because of the bloating? I've noticed a little evening-time bloating recently. I'd been enjoying having a flat tum so it was a bit disappointing.

DD, cut out galas because we had no guests or invitations this week! Bright side - no PP day:D.

I did feel bloated though, maybe been having more bread than usual, not sure but I've cut back a little and I feel better for it - maybe bread (yeast?) just doesn't like me and I need to alternate more with rice cakes as I did when I started conso.

Kitchen floor - once repaired (and a new plastic pipe in place to take over should this happen again:mad:) it will be filled in with sand - as it was before - then cemented to be in line with what's left of the tiles. Not a big deal really, just cosmetic - we've lived with far worse! Just felt bad for husband as he hacked/drilled the whole thing and it was really painful for him as he's still got a broken backside!

It will no doubt hasten our refurbishment plans though, so we'll start thinking about that seriously (will be nice to have another project to mull over:eek:).

ooooh I missed this Robin. How awful for you all, and glad you've got it sorted!! (Sorry too that your husband's ailment always makes me smile! :D). I watched Taggart last night, by the way - an old episode but from the new series. I understood every word but one sentence. I'm getting better ;)

ANJA... reference has been made to a sun, sea and caravan (camping?) holiday in a week? Please elaborate? I love reading about other people's holidays!!

ANJA... reference has been made to a sun, sea and caravan (camping?) holiday in a week? Please elaborate? I love reading about other people's holidays!!

Hello here I am popping up in the thread I should be contributing to!

Yes holiday indeed!! during half-term which is the first week of June. 1 week villa with private pool in Andalucia (or the hinterland of the Costa del Sol, depending on how you see it:D). Going with my in-laws, SIL and family = total 6 adults and 4 kids (mine and 2 young teenagers). It will be great - we've done this once before to Mallorca 2 years ago and it was a really successful holiday. We think this is the last time we can do this as the teenagers won't want to be seen holidaying with their parents soon!

It's not far from the coast so I expect *someone* will be spending time on the beach and I hope to get some culture too (sans kids, as we've brought our babysitters...) and the teenagers can go clubbing in Torremolinos or whatever is closest!

I've not really had a break since January (except the two long weekends recently) so I'm definitely ready for it!

I think I'll take a leaf out of Brownies book and make sure I have dukan-perfect breakfasts and lunches where possible and then join everyone in the evenings, hopefully without going overboard! Last time we found a Lidl and managed to do most of our shopping there so I think this time the plan is to do the same (plus markets for fresh produce etc).

So now I need to get on with packing soon.

On a different note - today I was reminded how very nice it is to receive a compliment: bumped into someone I used to meet at baby swimming until maybe 3 years ago. She said "you've lost loads of weight and you look great - congratulations" Now I never thought of it as LOADS and I wonder how big I looked before :eek::eek: but she's a GP so she kind of knows what she's talking about ;) Anyway, it made me feel very good.

The other thing is that lots people have commented (positively) on the shirt I'm wearing. Now it's not the first time I've got it on, I've had it for a couple of years and I like it very much: it's a nice strong dark turquoise that (apparently!) suits me well (and it's still a size 16 so nothing's changed). But nobody commented before. Very odd.

Sounds like a lovely holiday, Anja, and good idea about the food planning. I'm already starting to wonder about what to do when we go away, although it will be complicated by the fact that we'll be in the middle of nowhere with all meals prepared for us (country home cooking in Canada isn't perhaps the healthiest, even though it can be delicious).

Great compliment! I'm sure that she didn't mean it to sound derogatory. She is most likely just commenting on the fact that you look so different.

Oh Laura what a shame re: the leaking pipe and broken floor! Hope you get it all refurbished soon!

RE: bloating - yes now you two mention it I can probably agree. Having small carb portions every day is probably what does it to me too. Obviously today was PP, but Tue and Wed were carb-light too, and today I've felt better about my tummy than I have for a little while (post-Easter).
Hmm now how to get a long-term view / approach for this one.

Sounds like a lovely holiday, Anja, and good idea about the food planning. I'm already starting to wonder about what to do when we go away, although it will be complicated by the fact that we'll be in the middle of nowhere with all meals prepared for us (country home cooking in Canada isn't perhaps the healthiest, even though it can be delicious).

Great compliment! I'm sure that she didn't mean it to sound derogatory. She is most likely just commenting on the fact that you look so different.

Thanks DD no - there was nothing derogatory in it and I certainly didn't take it that way, it was only afterwards when I thought about it :D:D

Yes I'm not sure I could even agree to a holiday where I have no control over the food whatsoever. Eat less? Who will you be staying with - can you ASK for things to be tweaked for you?

Yes I'm carefully planning my oatbran rations etc, and wondering about taking the linseed too. In any case I'll have to do some swimming before breakfast or something to keep on top of things :eek:

Just a quick update - I plodded on this week on being relatively strict after a careful but relaxed weekend and I squeezed in just below the 64kg mark - yay, progress in the right directions. I knwe the news shoudl be good as the tummy wrinkles are back :eek::eek::eek:(sorry TMI!)

I've generally avoided big carb meals, but at the weekend had two (home made - makes 4) chocolate puds on subsequent evenings and some wine too. Nice home made Pizza (not dripping in fat though!) on Saturday, about 125gr flour in the base, and some salami on top :Dyum!

Maybe a biscuit here and there on Sat/sun. A piece of Cake on Fri. the rest of the week I was very restrained, kept an eye on the fruit (~2 a day), had a small handful of pumpkin seeds and dried blueberries on Weds and a small apple pastry on Weds evening.
I don't want to go back to carb-free land and the resulting re-introduction afterwards so I make sure I have my bread and cheese (or equivalent) every day though.

So by applying the Dukan principles I seem to manage to follow a lower-cal diet resulting in small slow losses, which is what I need to do right now. But no calorie counting or logging of food in take. No hunger either.

this weekend I'll start planning or preparing for the holiday: I'll take a loaf of 'bread' that's 6 days worth of breakfasts or picknic lunches sorted, and for the first 2 days (including a very early departure form Heathrow) I'll pack 2 days worth of muffins. As long as the bread (which will be packed straight from the freezer on departure day) goes in the fridge on arrival it will all keep no problem. Once there I hope to be involved with the shopping and make sure we get as low fat dairy as poss and lots of eggs of course ;-) and then try to steer the cooking towards barbecues and things :D:D

Anybody here can fill me in on what you might / might not be able to get in Spain? I'm pinning my hopes on Lidl but they're not so good in low-fat dairy. plain yoghurt if I'm lucky but that's a start. Of course I will go to the market and as well as buying gorgeous veg I want to sample local bread and meats and I probably will :cool: I just need to remind myself to SAMPLE and not PIG OUT :eek::eek:
Oh and I'm taking my splenda :p

Hey Anja, great news on the below 64 kilos - I'm about there too (I think - well I was last time I weighed).

As for your holiday (exciting!) - we had loads of fish/seafood when in Spain - so nice! Unfortunately, in restaurants it's often served with chips but you can ask for salad on the side instead, I'm sure (I don't like chips, so never have them and ask for an alternative).

I went to the Lidl near my Auntie's house when we were visiting her (she's in South Spain) and I think there are the basic staples that we have in Lidl here, plus a few Spanish variations, as you'd expect. I have no idea of low-fat things though as I never used to use them:eek: and I know my Auntie certainly doesn't.

I'm sure it will be fine re your weight, I think you've mastered cutting back slightly after any indulging, so even if you have a wee gain after your holidays, you'll be back on track in no time! If it's any consolation, I've never come back from Spain feeling that my clothes are tighter, so I'd imagine that the extra walking/swimming burns off any excesses:D.

As for the carbs/bread, I've naturally cut down this week and last - it's hotter out, so I'm not as hungry and don't really want them. My tum feels much better on the inside (and wrinkles on the outside here too - not sure if I should be pleased about that;)).

Yes I'm not sure I could even agree to a holiday where I have no control over the food whatsoever. Eat less? Who will you be staying with - can you ASK for things to be tweaked for you?

Yes I'm carefully planning my oatbran rations etc, and wondering about taking the linseed too. In any case I'll have to do some swimming before breakfast or something to keep on top of things :eek:

Unfortunately, we will, very literally, be in the middle of nowhere. In fact, in one place where we'll be staying, they have to use a pontoon boat and then drive for quite some distance in order to fetch supplies. Makes it a little difficult for me to be as picky as I would like at the moment. They are also commercial businesses, rather than friends or family.

As much as I adore pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast, I shall endeavour to be strong enough to ask for simply cooked eggs instead (maybe have a couple of special breakfasts during the fortnight, though). Perhaps I can also feign not being hungry enough to eat a dessert - or else share one with my husband. Otherwise, I shall just have to do as best I can.

The good thing is that there will be a large amount of hiking and some canoeing. That should help, with any luck.

Fantastic news about being back on track, weight-wise. It must give you great confidence that you can maintain, even if it takes a little tweaking every now and again. What you're doing (particularly in not returning to no carbs/fat) sounds eminently sensible.

As for Spain, I haven't been there for many, many years, but as Laura says, I'm sure that there'll be plenty of seafood, meat and salads. I think you may able be able to buy a rotisserie chicken for creating your own easy meals, rather than slaving over a hot oven during your hols.

Back