Stabilization CONSOSTAB (shared diary)

mmmm STAB, cannot wait!

Really just cannot wait for CONSO. Roll on bread and cheese.

Bren
X

After my long post yesterday I thought some more about what foods to eat: what about the 'forbidden' fruit and veg? I guess they'll gradually come back - maybe on a scheme of 'max twice a week' and not twice a day. And use the 'portion' as a measure too.

On an aside - I have switched the whole family to wholemeal pasta and nobody batted an eyelid! It just reduces the choice of shapes somewhat. Obviously this does not work for Chinese noodles... And we've always been having brown rice anyway.

Good idea about the forbidden fruits. Will you be adding dried fruit? That's one thing I really miss. Not that I ever ate a lot of it, but I enjoyed adding raisins or dried apricots to savoury dishes. I also miss being able to pop some toasted almonds or cashew nuts into meals.

Great menus. They are definitely much more like "normal meals" now, rather than Dukan ones - the kind of things we'd eat each week.

I'm enjoying the wholemeal pasta and have even persuaded my husband to try it and like it. Must admit that I'd love to find some WM Chinese noodles as I love them so much! If you ever track any down, please let me know.

Ah yes the dried fruit. Well *whispers* I've been having those too so I have probably been past conso longer than I'd like to admit to myself... Mostly small amounts of dried Apricots (in my head 2 dried apricots = 1 portion of fruit), occasionally the odd dried prune or sliced apple. I was adding the apricots to the muffins for a while.
NOT any dried banana chips though - a favourite with the kids but coated in sugar and/or fat I think.
And all of those regardless of Gala or non-gala occasions.

Seeds: minimal amounts in my bread - I routinely add about two handfuls of any of the following to my (2lb size) wholemeal bread: linseed, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame. And I have been having that type of bread (in the right amounts) since Phase II conso.

Nuts: only for 'gala' occasions, and not many. We're quite nut-free as DH hates them except pistacios.

Normal menus - yes they 'read' normal but they are mostly still cooked with 0% fat and extra-lean cuts. I suppose that is one of my lifestyle changes that I can effortlessly keep - as long as I have a good non-stick pan! Fat free baking however, is not really possible...

I was also wondering when to add non-diet (but low fat) yoghurt (mmh Onken Raspberry). I think I'll wait for a while for that one, enough to be getting on with for now, and that type of added sugar is easier to avoid!

I love pumpkin seeds in bread. Am looking forward to trying to add them into my loaves and maybe lightening them a bit with the addition of a bit of strong white flour when I (hopefully) get onto Stab (or even Consostab!)

Yes, I think I shall also be keeping to lower fat and healthier food prep methods once on Stab, too. A good habit to hold onto.

BTW, I developed the most beautiful bread recipe years ago, based on the Turkestan loaves my aunt's fiancé used to make in his bakery. Wish I could eat those, but they're probably horribly anti-Dukan. They contained, amongst other things, toasted almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and honey and were topped with a brushing of diluted honey syrup and sesame seeds. Unbelievably wonderful with cheese.

Oh seeds - healthy fats = good. I bought linseed and sunflower seeds this week, so thought I'd have a tsp each day as I'll probably have less smoked salmon now. I presume they're lowish in carbs.

Thought out a plan of action re my non-PP day (again). So my week will go like this (normal week with no weekend entertaining).

All days except Tuesday and Thursday -
PV conso base with extra fruit and carbs (mainly pulses/grains) and will have a biscuit/extra cheese/chocolate/whatever if I feel the urge (while limiting the quantities)
Tuesday - PV (any veg on cruise list) with cheese but no bread so still lowish carb but higher in fat
Thursday - PV with 'white' protein and low-carb veg (greens) and no cheese

I've been having dried fruit too (on a fairly regular basis). I'm not overly fussed on puddings, etc but I do love dried fruit so have had a fair bit on gala days and in the last 10 days or so since completing conso officially. Don't like dried banana though so no temptation there!

If we have a weekend with friends (with alcohol and high-carb food) then I'll do a PP day on Thursday.

I, too, will stick to Dukan cooking methods.:D

Right, I had typed a long contribution this lunchtime and then the system ‘ate’ it, so I abandoned the whole thing, let’s see if I can get it together again!

Had a good weekend, a Nice Friday Evening adults-only meal with a beer, crackers a cheese and a very indulgent chocolate pud – made the mistake of reading the nutrition label after I got it home this is going to haunt me when it all goes pear-shaped on Friday!
Sat and sun went as planned, I was restrained on the snacks front, had a mulled wine and a Lebkuchen on Sat night. Sunday a bit of home baking – first there were some blackberry scones that DD2 made and of course we all had to have one (yum, yes only one!) and later in the evening I did an experiment bake of a special German type of bread roll (Laugenstangen) so I HAD TO try one I’m afraid. Apart from that, I had the usual odd spoon of things here and there and crusts of bread (it’s really hard for me to throw away any food, especially German bread!). But today I threw away all the breakfast leftovers and kid’s uneaten bread.
Sat PV+C (Spaghetti Bolognese), Sun PV: chicken and parsnips. – bit of a carby veg day: lunch consisted of beetroot & herring salad!
Today: apple granola and yoghurt brekkie (as yesterday), cucumber slices after swimming, and a bite of banana offered by DD. Another home-made roll with Philly EL for lunch, and a little dukan ‘prawn cocktail’. ‘Normal’ Dinner (swapped days round) Kievs, broccoli, pasta (but very little), sprinkled with a bit of cheese. Diet Hot choc and a biscuit when I came home from choir just now.

Anyway, I feel like it’s going all wrong already, feeling / looking bloated round the middle etc…. Not sure maybe I’m just panicking for nothing, and that makes me be really strict for the rest of the week hence pulling back from weekend-related disasters… But really I can’t live like this for the rest of my life. I have to find a BALANCE! And I'm nowhere near eating normal food either (re: extra-low fat stuff and sugar-free things)

Don't worry, Anja. It's natural to panic when you're starting a new stage. Remember how it felt to be going onto Conso initially - I certainly felt at panic stations then! Once you get into the swing of things and are able to relax a bit, then you'll be absolutely fine.

As for the choc pud, I'm having one very indulgent, homemade choc pud per week at the moment (I can't avoid the very naughty ingredients list as I put them in there! ;-) ), and it hasn't had any adverse affects yet.

I think with people like us (who can get a little bit carried away with those sweet snacks), it's a question of moderation. As long as we don't slip back into our old habits and only have a little taster of things (resisting demolishing the whole box), we can retain control. Being able to prevent yourself from gobbling up with left-overs is a sign that you do have more self-control now. You have definitely learnt from your diet.

I feel that we may never return to quite the way things were pre-Dukan. Some permanent changes will probably need to be made. However, we can certainly work towards making our meals as normal as possible - even if we do need to keep using at least some extra low fat/sugar-free ingredients. Hopefully, we've learnt to cook using less fat and in a healthier way, in any case, which should help.

At the moment, it must seem that you're still feeling your way in the dark. I'm sure it will get much easier once you've learnt what works best for you.

It sounds fine to me, Anja. Certainly no more food than if you'd had 2 gala meals, so I'm sure the WI on Friday will be just fine.

I am lucky in that I'm not a 'snacky' person (although I did have some sunflower seeds last night) and if I do have something it will be a yogurt or fruit when the kids have their snack after school.

I also remember the bloated feeling when overdoing carbs and don't really want to have that (I'll make an exception for tartiflette or similar :D but that's not an everyday occurence).

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine though, it's first week nerves!

Oh and DD, one of my best memories of childhood was cheese with caraway seeds. My Dad was the village GP and a lady used to give him a home-made round of cheese with caraways seeds coating it if ever he did a home visit for her or her family. It really was the best cheese, we all loved it (and wished she needed a home visit more often:eek:).

PV day yesterday was fine, normal food today then a stricter PV day tomorrow. If Friday's WI is still good, next week I'll drop the Tuesday PV. 3 tbs of OB is too much at once, I can't manage it all, so will continue as on conso and have a muffin or two as snack.

So cold and windy outside, the walk is not happening today!

HI,

time for me to pipe up again. Yes I found the 3Tb too much, at least in the usual breakfast context, when I was adding other things into the mix, such as maybe 2Tb of yoghurt and some sliced fruit.

So how to deal with the 3TB:

First option - drop the wheat bran and just have 3tb of oatbran. I'd rather not I still feel I need the fibre.

Second option - work out a split (yesterday I had 2TB in the muffins during the day and one Tb in the breakfast pancake)

Third option: have all of if for breakfast but with less additions: today I had a bowl of 3tb-granola, but just added some milk and maybe 1ts of yoghurt for a bit of 'creaminess', and 1Tb of dried goji berries (well, I had to try them). That balanced quantities nicely and kept me going till 10.30+

Now I will see what this week brings, but I am still trying to work out what makes us be in Stab and not in Conso (as 'eat what you like' is not going to be happening). I suppose (should I stick with the 1PP day), it means we now can have a carb portion with every main meal. I am definitely gravitating towards the 1/2 veg, 1/4 carb 1/4 protein plate.
So every day: one small 60gr bread/carbs ration and one larger (but not 200gr in my case!) with a meal.

Now if I can get a handle on the 'leftovers' and 'treats/snacks' issues I should be fine with that! Maybe the rule should be 'no picking of carby or other leftovers off kids plates!' Veg are allowed :)

Great points there, Anja.

As for the snacking, I think I will probably try to stick to the no snacking at all outside of mealtimes scenario for Stab. Desserts will mostly be healthy - a yoghurt or Dukan-friendly pud, with one or two indulgences a week only. That way, I get to have my treats but don't let them get out of control. It's much safer for me this way!

Yes thanks DD I obviously had to find out the hard way! It just *hurts* to see the beautiful Rye bread crusts going in the bin... other bread is fine...
My day is going /has gone well. Off to do the weekly shop when the kids are in bed....

So here I am - and recorded a STS (+200gr) for the week.

After my panic earlier, I now 'look' normal again, the potbelly has shrunk (that happened on Weds), and I am wearing my 'I feel slim' dress today :D Must have been the beetroot and parsnips combo on top of the extra weekend carbs!

I have also tried to use a meal tracker, of course quite hard when cooking from scratch and I am not prepared to enter very meal in all it's minutiae. However it told me:
Weds (PV as I was worried): 1600
Thu (PP): 1200
Today I could clock up as much as 2000, but really the accounting is tricky: I am having leftovers for lunch (leeks & pork) plus some peppers and cherry tomatoes, and I am also planning to have a glass of wine with the Venison Stew that's already cooking in the slow cooker. Plus a small baked potato.

BECAUSE: I have decided - for THIS WEEK :eek: at least:

It's Stab for a reason - Stab is different from Conso. Hence a small portion of Carbs with every evening meal every day. No more PVs - except on Panic Wednesdays :eek:. I think I am repeating myself - apologies! this effectively means two explicit carb portions a day.

What I am (still) learning:

Stop the snacking on leftovers. Done I think. The crusts went in the bin today! If I am going to have something like that I need to make it part of a meal - Ie have a slice of bread OR a bowl of rice pudding and account for it!

You don't have to finish your packed lunch / what's on your plate! Sometimes I still end up with largish portions (of dukan friendly food I have to add), yesterday I actually took a yoghurt and some cottage cheese back home as I was not hungry and had it at dinnertime instead.

Ok enough rambling, back to work!

Excellent ramblings Anja... It's true that the websites where you input your food intake get tiresome when you're cooking from scratch!

I like to read your new rules to yourself. I remember, on "healthy eating" having a rule that I had to sit down, with a knife and fork, at a table to eat. (Hardly appropriate with most snacks, and definitely not with your crusts, hence they weren't ok!)

Keep arambling... :D

Ah yes - well I manage the sit down rule for all main meals including breakfast. Snacks with the kids are different of course, sitting down yes, but not at a table! But then I should not have those unless they are oatbran muffins or fruit anyway....

The other rule is 1/2 veg, 1/4 protein 1/4 carbs (optional) on a medium dinner plate. I think I just did that for lunch minus the carbs ;-)

The other rule is 1/2 veg, 1/4 protein 1/4 carbs (optional) on a medium dinner plate. I think I just did that for lunch minus the carbs ;-)

Do you have a height restriction on that one? ;) I used to construct mountains of veg in Cruise until Vicky in Atkins made me more aware of those carbs!

Funnily enough while, off diet, I have many many bad habits, none of those seem to apply to me... (and those iced cookies look delicious!)

Back