Stabilization CONSOSTAB (shared diary)

ONE YEAR LATER - NEARLY DID IT

Here I am, one year from embarking on Conso and I'm NEARLY the same (this morning first WI for weeks: 65kg). Not surprising after the last couple of weeks I've had, but you have to live your life too: I had never made a birthday cake for my mum before so I was going to share it too!

So - am I allowed my badge now despite being 2lb up :eek::D

Another run last night and it was ~okay~ pant pant, as I finished some way from home I ended up listening to the start of the next week and that sounds decidedly scary! (3 mins - 5 mins - 3 mins - 5mins running, I think!). Luckily I have another on of my current week's run to complete first.

So - a year later, what has Dukan shown me?

I have changed my food 'base', and I know roughly what I need to eat in a day to stay the same or lose - without counting calories or the like. I have very much upped my veg intake - whereas I might have had a sandwich for lunch (wm bread margarine, cheese, ham), I now have a salad of leaves & tomatoes, no oil dressing topped with fish or egg. today I am having my famous beetroot and pickled herring salad :) Prep time in the morning is just the same as a sandwich.

I do still have snacks, just not every day.

The negative things about living post-DDConso: I *can* display the symptoms of not being able to stop at Gala-times - something that Brownie referred to elsewhere. So as well as a nice meal and dessert I may have a snack in the afternoon and one at night etc. At least I'm aware that I'm doing it but still working on dealing with it. Anyway the name and concept of 'Galas' is now banned unless I am going out / eating with friends or we're having a takeaway (about one in 3 months). I no longer plan weekly galas to be the things I can't have - they come in as incidentals (potatoes, cheese, sausages, fatty cuts of meat).
What I am allowing is one nice dessert a week (at the moment apple and blackberry crumble/tart is high on the list), and about one or two 'normal' healthy meals *with* carbs a week, and for example some of the previously banned veg (sweetcorn fresh from the garden at the moment!) - tonight it's greek pitta pockets but that's my small carb portion used, and on Sunday it's Mediterranean beef stew with chickpeas in it - all of it cooked in the lean manner I am now used to. Or I might have one sausage or a small piece of quiche when everyone else is having full portions.

Monday is DD2s birthday and we're having 'make your own' pizzas again and the obligatory chocolate cake, of course I will join in. The rest of the week I am still sticking to strict conso until I am closer to target, ie IN the 64s. With the running that should not be so hard :D

What has also happened, and that's not DD specific but diet-specific. The things I should not eat are more tempting. The bags of dried fruit are beckoning to me just to dip into between meal times are the worst... ok so I am deflecting the urge to reach for a biscuit but even so.... As Jo calls it, the 'head hunger' can be quite strong and it didn't use to bother me at all when I was living the 'I eat what I like' mantra that meant I was 'maintaining' at 76kg... but having a good attitude to food. Now I have a more over-sensitive attitude to food which I KNEW was going to happen as soon as I started any diet. Give it another year and I may have grown out of it (or be back to 76!)

Anyway - better do some work now - have a good weekend everyone!

Happy Dukan-conso-stab anniversary, Anja and a huge well done to you.:D

Yes, very well done Anja, and food for thought, too! It's the realisation that watching the weight is not just temporary that is a bit of a glum moment, but also how well this diet equips us to do that. If you've been on a powder mix then all that is still to learn when you come off them.
Your point about gala meals is good, as long as one doesn't let gala food creep in too often. That will be my problem I think.

Good luck for the next year, and keep on inspiring those of us coming after!

Still around and still alive :)

Hello,

just a quick sign-in, I can see this diary will soon go to sleep as Laura and I go our post-dieting ways, confident and armed with the knowledge of how to stay where we are - even if there are fluctuations. I even forgot to weigh myself on Friday a couple of weeks ago.

After my two weeks of nice food and a relaxed attitude the repercussions were plain to see (to myself and the scales at least) so I returned to a stricter regime - I called it 'nearly Cruise' in Jo's diary but really it is Conso minus Galas or Carb meals, as I'm having fruit and small carbs - lots of leaving do's at work so I even had a small chocolate bite last Friday. I don't want to get back into ketosis or put my body through it as it's such a big deal coming back from it ;) And while I was nearly 2kg :eek::eek: over target on the Sunday when I did remember to weigh myself, I have since returned to being 'in the' 64s (64.7) last Friday (post PP) and the feeling is good for this week too. Then I'll return to proper ConsoStab, the home-made Pizza is already planned for Sunday :eat: :D

And yes (I hear you yawn) I am still running (in week 5 now) - last Monday I did 8minutes non-stop, twice, with 5 mins walking in between (and amazingly, survived!). Now as I had some extra time to walk home I let the next podcast run on - the one I am supposed to do tomorrow night: I am meant to run for 20mins non-stop. Now that is SUCH a scary concept that I think I will repeat the previous run, also because Thursday runs are in the evening and in the dark, but then I will tackle the 20mins on Sat morning. :eek::eek:

So I think I am sort of going to hereby admit that I probably won't keep up with this diary any more - there is nothing to report for starters! You had already worked that out I'm sure.

When I do get back to the proper 64 I'll award myself the maintainer badge :D and you may still see me pop up in the forums here and there as I do now but I'm not making any promises :rolleyes:

Well done, Anja both on eating and exercise. I don't have much to add except to thank you for your inspiration and leading the way for me (and others). Looking forward to seeing your Maintainer badge.:D

I'll be weighing on Friday, hope the scales will show my weight down a little (before going back up during holiday;)) but I think I have things sussed. I know how to compensate for weekends away, etc (I tend to do conso-style eating without galas the week before if it's a whole weekend and a strict PP day sorts out just one gala day) and the cravings for chocolate are now firmly in the past.

So, not much in the way of musings from me either as I'd just be repeating myself, but I'll try and revive the daily chat thread now and again!

A big thank you from me. I really enjoy reading how you are doing in conso/stab and hope you do keep popping in to let us know how you are. It always gives me hope that I will succeed this time around when I read about someone that has kept it up (and off) for so long.

Take care! :)

Perhaps you'll pop up in friend's diaries to keep in touch. While you might think you've nothing (new) to say - and the same goes for Laura - reading at how the two of you face various hurdles, holidays, etc., and get through them intact, gives many of us (well me for a start) hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel...

I hope you'll keep in touch!
x

I know I've said this before, but you two are such an incredible inspiration to me. Many times when I've wavered, I've either remembered your words or re-read your diaries and they've given me the courage and strength to continue onwards.

I owe you both big time! Thank you so much! :)

63.5 kilos, so after a year or so on conso I am at the same weight (roughly) as this time last year (having had a few fluctuations throughout the year). Very happy with that.:D

So, lessons learnt (for me, at least) one gala meal/day is fine and the scales are kind after a PP day, one gala week is less-so. Conso-style during the week is the way to go to prepare for a whole weekend of indulgence. Whether that's the proper way of doing it or not, it works for me.

Will absolutely keep the oatbran for life, I'm sure it's saved me from disaster on more than one occasion and saves dire PP days from being even more dire.

Great post Laura,

and I agree on all counts. Well done you!!

My two weeks of stricter Conso with fruit earlier this month put me back in the 64s zone so I've gone back to normal consostab which means a normal healthy meal with carbs at the weekend (this week was fish curry with a small naan bread; and chilli con carne including beans and rice, last week it was home made pizza) with a glass of wine, and I am allowed the odd family dessert (a scoop ice-cream or a slice of apple pie) too.

Overall I'm being a bit more lax so that I can say yes to a small piece of cake etc at work - we seem to have endless rounds of leaving do's and coffee mornings. But I steadfastly stuck to my guns on a Thursday :p and had the biscuit the next day :D. they must think I'm crazy but on the other hand they all know what I've achieved.

Last Friday I had STS after a normal week.

I do eat a lot more fruit than the 1 piece a day. We have of course a glut of apples and recently been making apple crisps (just apple, sliced and dried in the oven, no additions). They get munched by everyone within 10 minutes of being ready, which is fine as they soften soon after. I should make some vegetable crisps at the same time... I have fruit at breakfast (with DD porridge or pancake) and take at least one piece to work with me for my afternoon snack too.

I do still have the tendency to 'sneak' eat biscuits at times, especially when I'm alone at home (like today, but been good so far), or late at night, so I'm tempted to move my PP to a Monday as I know I can stick to strict rules. I will see.
It's the "I can't have it tomorrow so better have one today" mindset I so desperately need to shake off :eek::eek:. Definitely nothing to do with hunger or otherwise. In my case it's a diet side-effect, it's not something I used to have a problem with 'before', when something is not freely allowed, it starts calling out to me!

On the running front, I am sticking with it - I'm in week 7 of the plan now and have just run 25 mins non-stop for the second time this morning. It is still very hard work, but I have stuck with it...

I may have been having a few more treats this week: I badly cut my finger (completely sliced off the tip :eek: sorry TMI) on Tuesday evening, meant 3+ hours wait in A&E (I was prepared and took a book, big bottle of water and some biltong), but I was in pain for 3 days before it subsided. Better now, but still mustn't get the finger wet, and the bandage still won't fit into a household glove, which makes life quite challenging!

Anyway, better get on with some housework, hope everyone has a good week!

Lovely to see you Anja, and I was sorry to read about your finger (ouch!!).

Reading how attentive and strict you still have to be is a good reminder for those of us who thought things would just click into place once the weight was lost! Thank you for the reminders!

As for the running, I bet that helps you too. I know my walking helps.

x

Thanks both for posting. I really enjoy reading about how you are eating now, I feel much more aware of what I will realistically need to do for life rather than "eat normally except for protein Thursdays one day a week". It is a huge help and very much appreciated.

Just a quick catch-up, have been visiting family/friends for a week. Totally non-Dukan :eek: (but got in plenty exercise the day I was tidying/sorting my Mum's house) but I didn't overeat, so should be fine.

Glad to be home.:)

Hi Laura, welcome back and nice to see you’re really ‘settled’ now. I wish I was :) I still can't quite keep QUITE on track all the time :eek:

Time for a rambling update from me too. Apologies, just noticed how long it’s become!

Interesting point made elsewhere on the PP day and Friday WI: on Friday morning I was 65.8 which is what I was the week before. then on Sat- mid morning, after a relaxed Friday with a carby evening meal and Sat breakfast but after a run (I had just showered, so thought I’d step on the scales to see my ‘real’ weight), I was only 66.1. And this morning (Monday) 65.8. Despite:
(non-stab people please look away!)
I need to add that I usually get my Oatbran in the morning porridge or in bread at lunch time. The third TB is mostly added to yogurt.

Friday – home baking with two pre-schoolers, made lots of buttery vanilla cookies with icing and decorations and I had more than one for sure. Evening meal was DD friendly (Eggs baked with spinach and tomato) but with a helping of Quinoa and a glass of Belgian Beer.

Sat – AM: another iced biscuit or two! Lunch normal (tinned mackerel and carrot salad, yoghurt). PM attended a talk and had a very chocolatey biscuit in the break. Evening meal was spaghetti Bolognese cooked by the kids (lean ingredient though and no olive oil!) with a medium helping of Spaghetti and a sprinkling of cheese. Dessert small dollop of home-made rice pudding (full fat milk but low on sugar as the kids add their own toppings).

Sun: extras: one small pancake (no fat for frying) at I was making them for the kids. Normal Oatbran porridge breakfast. Lunch: Tortilla wrap with lean filling (lettuce, cottage cheese, a TS of grated cheese, lean ham) and a carrot & cucumber salad.
Evening meal: slow roasted lamb shoulder with lentils and s small dollop of mashed potato (a family compromise, made with some full fat milk and fromage frais) and a glass of Wine. This was definitely a ‘Gala’ meal! No dessert but some chocolate biscuits and coffee later.

Phew (or maybe YUM)! Portion control is okay, just frequency control for the extras is not always. We have visitors all week.

Talking about cooking: it is amazing how much Oil/Fat you can leave out of some recipes. Some of it just seems to be in there ‘by default’. For example yesterday the Lamb Shoulder: this is a very fatty cut. The recipe called for you to pour over it: red wine, lemon juice AND TWO TABLESPOONS of Olive oil! It was not missed not did it ruin the dish to leave it out. Ok so it would not have made much difference to the overall richness of the dish had I left it in either, but it was just not necessary….

Today I’m back at work so no temptation here, but tonight we’ve got some nice pies waiting to go into the oven, and tomorrow will be a healthy slow-cooked venison stew and I can pass on the carbs, but my MIL has brought one of her delicious apple&blackberry tarts which I certainly shall be having a piece of!

As far as clothes and belts are concerned I can see no difference, not of that visible bloating round the middle I used to get at the beginning. At least as far as my view of my stomach from above is concerned. So I’ll just put these two kilos down to ‘life’ and hopefully they will disappear once I cut out the Galas and extras.
Now I have been thinking about this – I am careful not to go ‘too low’ when I follow a stricter day. Of course I still do the one strict PP, but any other day I will make sure there is a small portion of carbs in there somewhere, and at least a tiny portion of cheese/fat as I don’t want to go back to the point where my body holds onto every carb calorie it gets hold of. So it would appear that I can now get away with quite a lot and still STS. Well I always knew it’s easier and there is more leeway to achieve a STS without gaining than to achieve a loss.

Confession time: I HAVE been sneaking food again. I really must try harder to strike a better balance, and not give in to the hidden extras. The annoying part is that I didn’t use to do this pre-diet. But I supposed I just joined in ‘more’ when DH was having a late night snack, biscuits with a cup of tea etc. Now I try not to, only to crack other times when I’m alone, esp when trying to do some work. Grrrr. It tends not to be really ‘bad’ things, just half-way like: slice of wholemeal bread (I have to sample my latest experiment of course), a cracker with quark or low-fat philly, dried fruit (“it’s only fruit” - I've stopped buying it now!), but it can also be a chocolate biscuit or two or a dollop of rice pudding (I do have a weakness for this!) if easily available. I do have a (gift) box of chocolates that’s quite happily sitting there unscathed though…

However, the result is not as disastrous as it could be (I am not calorie counting so I can’t tell you exactly what I consume) as I seem to STS at the upper 65s where I've been of a few weeks now. I am not bingeing but I need to get some moderation back! Obviously the running is helping offset this but that’s not the point!

I am still running – I think I managed to jog about 5K this morning – not quite non-stop as on the route this morning I have a big busy road to cross about 4 min into the run and again on the way home about 1 minute from the end. I have to use a traffic light that takes ages to stop the busy traffic, so that is an enforced breather for 15-20 seconds at least. It’s nice for me as it really helps but it’s not helping build up my stamina ;). Last Thursday night, for the first time I was not able to complete my program (25 mins) despite already having done that much every run that week. I just felt really exhausted and gave in after barely 20 mins. So I might finally be seeing the side-effects of a PP day on my energy levels – watch this space. Overall I still struggle and find it quite hard going a lot of the time – after all I’ve only been doing this for about 2 months now. But this morning (beautiful sunrise!) for the first time I noticed my thoughts wandering to other subjects for some of the time instead of focussing on the completing the run! I see people running in pairs and having a conversation –I do envy them at the moment ;);)

But the overall outcome of taking up C25K is great :D:D – DD2 just learnt to cycle with not stabilisers, so last weekend I was running up and down the road steadying her – no problem! Then she sussed it and I had to jog along when we were going to school because she would just have disappeared – again NO PROBLEM :D. I was barely out of breath.

After this week I’m back onto stricter conso and without galas I’m sure I’ll get back down without resorting to cruise. I think in my mind I am putting most of November down as the pre-holidays season catch-up period! Two work Christmas lunches booked already…. But as explained above – I don’t want to put myself into the position that I need to do proper conso again because I have withheld too many carbs. I also don’t want to be too strict because it makes me stray further when I do crack (as above). All of this is probably completely the wrong reasoning and I certainly have no scientific knowledge but that’s how it looks to me / seems to work for me.

Watch this space I might pipe up again when I'm finally back in the 64s.

Run run run!

Just a quick note - I have definitely broken the 5K barrier running this morning (in 28 minutes). No traffic lights breathers and no short-cuts either ;-)

I can definitely recommend the Couch to 5K programme!

Well done you!! I am very tempted to give it a try too, you are doubly inspiring to me now ;)

Last edited:
Hi anjuschka,

Just a quick note to say you have inspired me to start the c25k programme! I have ordered some trainers and downloaded the app. Now all I have to do is actually run.... ;) hope I can do as well as you have!

Ohh Couteaux - that is BRILLIANT! Shame the weather is not so nice now, but the start is very gentle, and if I can do the whole programme, ANYONE can! I still run 3 times a week now, mostly fitting it in before my proper breakfast or in the evening - so lots of running in the dark, when I have to stick to roads. I'm still working on 'getting comfortable' with the 30mins, but it did feel much better last night, and I manage just over 5K in that time now, so 15K in total per week. I am getting a GPS sports watch for Christmas so I can track my distance properly! I can also *feel* that I am speeding up at times, lenghtening my stride = new aches in my hips ;-)

Anyway - GO GO GO - and good luck!!

Wow Anja... you've done brilliantly! It's true that the cooler weather is less motivating at the outset to go out and walk/jog/run(?!!), but once in the rhythm and doing it, I actually prefer it as I hate getting hot and sweaty! For my early morning power walk to work, I leave home snuggled in thick scarf and gloves, and usually before the 2Km mark, I'm unwrapped and feeling good :) I'm saving the yeti hat for cooler days yet many earlybirds are already wearing woolly hats I see!

As for you Couteaux, I'm VERY impressed (and not just because I wouldn't even know how to download the "app"...)

I have been known to break into a gentle trot, in the country where no one can see me, but ... it's very uncomfortable for me with my excess skin. It's almost as if everything is jumping around - I sorted myself a decent bra, so it's not that, but it's a horrid feeling - almost as if my skin "lands" a second after my foot...

Anyway... keep it up!

Anja - have you started preparing for Christmas fodder yet? I'll see if I can find the general chat thread and bring it up

Back