Couch to 5k

Cailin Maith

C25K - A friend of mine mentioned this website, so yesterday I downloaded the (free) podcasts.

I dragged my ass out of bed this morning and did the first 30 minute session (in the rain I might add!!) It's intervals of running for 60 seconds and walking (recovering, in my case!!) for 90 seconds.

The music changes for when you have to speed up or slow down!

Ok- so I didn't finish it - got to about 25 minutes in and was exhausted but... close enough. I'm going togive it a blast 3 times a week which is whats reccomended and see how it helps my weight loss.

There are 9 Podcasts to download - so it's a 9 week programme designed to get you running the 5k by the end of it all!

Sorry if this has already been covered before but it was soooooo good, I just had to share! :party0011:

Last edited:
Running is great for weight loss, well done! I can't say that I like it now any better than I did when I started, but it IS easier, and has really made a big difference in weight loss and health!

xx

Sounds like just what I need! I might have to give it a go! What kind of music is it?

It's a mix of fast and slowish stuff - kind of dancey/electronic pop - which sounds random but the beats are good for keeping you going in the running bit!

I just downloaded week 9 and it's techno

I've only listened to the first one :eek:

I guess that at week 9 they expect you to be running the whole 5k so a "techno" beat would be fairly apt.

To be honest when I'm walking or running, I tend not to really hear the music - just the beats to help my stride.

When I first started running, it was so painful that i never heard the music LOL, what a great thing to have though, these podcasts, thanks for the link!! x

I downloaded these a while ago, but shamedly admit that I havent gone any further than listening to them! oopps!
Once my thighs have recovered from climbing Scafel Pike this weekend, I will give it a go.

This sounds like a really good idea - could you clarify where I can find these "podcasts", as I'm a "more mature" person and need everything explained I'm afraid! lol

I've been doing the 10wk plan to running a 5k from the SW magazine and I'm covering the 5k with no problems at all now, so I might be looking for the later weeks from the podcast ........ I suppose? If anyone can clarify, I'd be really grateful!

I used to do loads of running (about 30 years ago!) but hadn't attempted any until the last few months, and I'm loving it! I've run along side Lyndsey McDonald and Liz McColgan ....... when I was in my teens - I'm not looking to do any competitive running nowadays but I just want to up my fitness level, and the running has helped a great deal!

Best o'luck'n'stuff to everyone out there trying running!

This sounds like a really good idea - could you clarify where I can find these "podcasts", as I'm a "more mature" person and need everything explained I'm afraid! lol

I've been doing the 10wk plan to running a 5k from the SW magazine and I'm covering the 5k with no problems at all now, so I might be looking for the later weeks from the podcast ........ I suppose? If anyone can clarify, I'd be really grateful!

I used to do loads of running (about 30 years ago!) but hadn't attempted any until the last few months, and I'm loving it! I've run along side Lyndsey McDonald and Liz McColgan ....... when I was in my teens - I'm not looking to do any competitive running nowadays but I just want to up my fitness level, and the running has helped a great deal!

Best o'luck'n'stuff to everyone out there trying running!

Have a look on the website www.c25k.com There are loads of podcasts to download into your iTunes (with full explainations of how to do it!) I only did the initial 5k one but they have 5 -10k and beyond.... justpick which ever is suitable for you :)

Good Luck with it!

Thanks for the link - I've just had a quick look - I'm sure I'll find something to suit - Cheers!

Presumably you can just follow the plan they set out but do it to your own music as well. I'm quite fussy about what I exercise to!

Absolutly - I guess you could pick your fave music and organise a playlist on iTunes for intervals to suit your training.... I think I'm not quite technically able to work that out yet, lol!!

Just thought I'd update you on those downloads - I love them! Used two separate ones this morning - hubby and I like different music to run to - so we found something to suit both of us! Thanks again for the link! Good luck to you all with your body magic!

Just thought I'd update you on those downloads - I love them! Used two separate ones this morning - hubby and I like different music to run to - so we found something to suit both of us! Thanks again for the link! Good luck to you all with your body magic!

So glad I posted about these - so many people have said how good they are!

I did it again this morning with my o/h & feel so much better for it :)

BUMPing this thread!!!

I have been wanting 'learn' to jog as a free form of exercise and found this thread. I can't run at all at the moment as I find it too uncomfortable with all my chubby bits bouncing around. However, no pain, no gain. I need to do something to boost my weight loss regime and I thought that others may be interested too...

Ooh, good thread, glad I found it. I've wanted to try running for ages-my friend has started running and his backside has really slimmed down and firmed up :drool:
My SW group are intending on doing the Shine half marathon in April so this gives me plenty of time to get ready-even though most of us have agreed to stroll!

Running Made Easy is a fab book if you want to get started with running xxx

Back