Cruise in December - Tipping advice needed!

Never been on one but friends go on them all the time - think it is usually about 10 per cent but don't quote me. ;)

Our friend said that he goes to the Purser and tells them that he will not be paying the stipulated amount but will tip who he wants to tip and they make a note then do not add the percentage to his final bill.
He then tips the people who service the room and the waiter. Don't know if it is only him that does it or if he is the only one who has the cheek to do it but he does.

I'm going on my first ever cruise in December. Really looking forward to it but am a bit worried about the tipping aspect. I want to make sure I have enough money to cover all those sorts of expenses so wondered what other peoples experiences were.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated...:)
I went on a 2 week cruise 18th march this year to the caribbean... now the tipping part when u leave the ship u have a money wallet and you can tip any cabin crew on the ship.. it's opitional tho me and my friend only left £15 for our room cleaner cuz she was so helpful and always did extra for us..

but you get a long detailed letter the night before you leave explaining this to you.. dont worry but do keep some money behind.. i was with P&O x

Back