Dangers Of Alcohol When In Ketosis

Can I just ask a stupid question? I know you shouldn't drink any alcohol at all during the SS part of the diet, but when would you consider it safe to start drinking again? I don't drink a massive amount, but it's going to be difficult on the odd occasion when I'm out with friends - especially if it's going to take 4 months to lose 4 stone!

Wow that would definately put me off drinking if the CDC gave that out in handout!

Thanks for that info!

What a fantastic site this is! I have just started and on my 2nd week, have just come to terms with ketosis but hadn't realised the dangers of drinking while on ketosis and If I hadn't read this today, I would have been in big problems on Wednesday as I was planning on having a gin and tonic thinking that I would be fine, having read all the above, i will def be sticking to sparkling water. Thanks to all of you who have enlightened me!

Went to the theatre last night to see David Essex, re-living my youth:cupid:

While in the bar my willpower lapsed and had another G&T:eek:

It felt like I was drinking acid, I could feel it trickling down my intestine. I don't even like the stuff, only drank it coz it is lower in calories than JD:eek:

Did I suffer! terrible stomach pains all night, heartburn and a horrible taste in my mouth.

I realise now that it is not a good idea to drink on this diet:rolleyes:

All sounds a bit dramatic to me...I know you should'nt but on the weekend since I started I have had a few glasses of wine each day and a sensible meal. Wish I hadn't but if I don't have something to look forward I wouldn't be able to stick to the diet. Sorry for all those that have been able to stick 100% I'm just not as strong as you. Not a good idea to go out and get Mullered, not a good idea to drink at all, but ho hum!

I did AAM week last week and on the Saturday night had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, I was terribly ill when I went to bed and was in bed most of Sunday, my head was spinning and I felt sick.. I will never ever drink alcohol again whilst in ketosis, it scared me :(

I know loads of people who are in this stage with weight loss but continue to drink heavily. Probably blissfully unaware of the increased danger!

I have been on the ss for 1 week and last night i had more than a few beers, i have been feeling ill allday but am shocked to be reading this thread, i was hoping to be able to go out once in a while but this seems to be quite dangerous?? Does anyone else binge drink on the ss and if so are you still alive??

I wonder if the alcohol danger here is the fact people are in ketosis or the very low calorie nature of the diet when people are SSing.

The reason i ask is i am on a diet that puts me into ketosis and after the first two weeks we are allowed a glass of red wine or a clear spirit and are still "on plan"

I've not heard of people having side effects but can't comment personally as I have decided to steer clear of alcohol in order to lose weight as quick as possible.

I also remember from Atkins which puts you into ketosis that you could drink G and T

Not suggesting for a moment that people drink when SSing but am proposing that it could be the very low calorie nature of the diet that makes alcohol a problem not the ketosis element.

i like the fact that i cant drink on this diet but i was told on here that if i eat a meal it will bring me out of ketosis and that i could drink ..... i found this very worrying
liz x

hi guys.. so how long does it take your body to come out of ketosis so that you can have a drink at events? im planning on a girlie weekend in march for my 30th so when is best to start introducing food?

"hypothetical" question....what about drugs? Ie: Coke, Esctasy....
x

I don't know about this one. I know they can make you feel mighty odd when eating.

Probably not recommended. Would have to ask your CDC to contact the medical department at Cambridge...just so you know...hyperthetically and all that :D

Back