Dangers Of Alcohol When In Ketosis

I have found that any wine etc tasts foul whilst in ketosis! So that's
helped me stay off the booze.
Although, was really ill all New Years day when I indulged a little too much ughhhhh!

I have my sisters wedding coming up and was thinking of sticking with the diet, but maybe joining in the toasts. I'll definitely stick with the fizzy water now. Thank you for the advice.

Wow, I wouldn't drink as I'd then want a kebab but that's a massive reason not to. It's frightening and I'm pleased you found this and posted it. You could have saved someone's life (sorry for being dramatic but people just think of putting on weight not this)
Just started the diet and came across your posting. You have done so well to get so much weight off in just 26 weeks. I hope it keeps me inspired. I have at least 15 stone to get rid of.

My son is getting married mid June in Cyprus and I am going on the hen night on the 6th June. I am 100% on SS but definately intend to eat and drink on both occasions. I am willing to undo the good I am doing now for these very special occasions and will return to CD on my return. I could really do with a bit of clarification about when itwill be safe to drink. Will i just need to be out of ketosis and how long will this take? If I eat normally the day before will this be sufficient?

Last edited:
Hi

Yes a bit of clarification would be good on this as we are all here for a goal and mine is also a wedding so can anyone give us a guideline as to how we enjoy these special occasions safely and then get back on track after?????

S
X

"hypothetical" question....what about drugs? Ie: Coke, Esctasy....
x

Hiya.. been looking for info on VLCD and coke/mdma etc... ..main info's about hydration and drinking enough water (and remembering to care about drinking water when you're busy dancing/having fun etc)

here's a bit more info from talktofrank.com:

• After a big night on cocaine, it's not unusual for people to feel like they've got the flu.
  • Some people are over-confident on it and so may take very careless risks.
  • The hit from coke doesn't last long and from ‘crack’ lasts even less. When the effects start to wear off there can be a very strong temptation to take more, particularly with the long ‘come down’, the crash period can happen days later.
  • Crack and cocaine powder users have died from overdoses. High doses can raise the body's temperature, cause convulsions and respiratory or heart failure. Risk of overdosing increases if crack is mixed with heroin, barbiturates (sedatives) or alcohol.
  • Cocaine is highly risky for anybody with high blood pressure or a heart condition. Perfectly healthy, young people can have a fit or heart attack after taking too much coke and you may not know you’ve got a pre-existing heart condition.
  • Those who get into cocaine very often find they begin to crave it more. And because the effects wear off so quickly, cocaine and crack can become an expensive habit to keep.
  • Using cocaine a lot makes people feel depressed and run down.
  • People who use crack or coke regularly often develop serious problems with anxiety and paranoia. It's a known cause of panic attacks.
  • Large or frequent use of coke tends to knock sexual desire on the head.
  • Cocaine can bring previous mental health problems to the surface. If a close relative of yours has had serious mental health problems, it’s possible there might be an increased risk for you in taking cocaine.

• Ecstasy affects the body's temperature control. Dancing for long periods in a hot atmosphere increases the chances of overheating and dehydration. Take regular breaks from the dance floor to cool down.
  • And watch out for your mates – sometimes they mightn’t realise they're in danger of overheating or getting dehydrated.
  • Be careful with fluids though, as drinking too much can also be dangerous or even fatal. Ecstasy can cause the body to release a hormone which prevents the production of urine. Drink too quickly and it interferes with your body's salt balance, which can be as deadly as not drinking enough water. Reduce the risks by sipping no more than a pint of water or non-alcoholic fluid every hour.
  • Using Ecstasy has been linked to liver, kidney and heart problems. Anyone using too much can become paranoid and depressed.
  • Some long-term users report getting colds, flu and sore throats more often. This may be attributed to staying awake for 24 hours, which puts your immune system under pressure.
  • There’s research to suggest that the exhaustion and dehydration associated with Ecstasy can activate urine infections like cystitis in women.
  • Anyone with a heart condition, blood pressure problems, epilepsy or asthma can have a very dangerous reaction to the drug.

I can not believe that anyone foolish enough to use such substance is using such a forum to seeking advise about dehydration. Short answer: Drugs can kill you so just don't use them.

Back to the topic in hand.

I spoke to my CDC on Saturday, who by the way uses the diet and is partial to a G&T. She says that if you eat a normal balanced meal you will come out of ketosis anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. She did suggest that I should make sure I had breakfast on the morning of any functions just to get the ball rolling.
She has quite happily fitted the ocasional night of alcohol consumption in with the diet and never had any adverse effects.

I suppose we need to remember though that if we have not indulged for some time it may go to our heads a bit quicker.

This is handy to know as we all have functions to go to at some time or other but I believe it is hard to get back on track after so a bit nervous about it all. I have a wedding in Ireland first wk in june which is what prompted me to start CD in first place and I am soo scared I am going to mess up that weekend it terrifies me. The packs prevent me from cheating but can hardly have one at my brothers wedding ........will just have to be sensible and get back on track on the monday I come home and hope for the best..............x

Lets face it, we never got to have weight problems over night and we aren't going to put back on everything we have lost after a few days of excess.

I intend to stand proudly next to my son on his wedding day knowing that I will be looking the best I can and felling great. I am not going to spend a moment of that time worrying about my diet. When it is all over I will get stuck in again and if it take a couple of weeks to get back on track so be it. I will how ever have wonderful memories that will last me the rest of my life.

And I will definately be toasting the happy couple with champagne.

Good for you Angy...............I will also be toasting my brother and enjoy the day and get right back on track on Monday. I am planning to bring tetras and bars to work around the wedding with the wedding meal being the only one I have so I know I can do it......................x

I've only just started on CD (first WI tomorrow) but it is my birthday and family are coming to celebrate at the end of the month (a milestone they wont let me pass by quietly) so I intend to celebrate with a meal out and a drink. But I will get guidance from my CDC. And if I put a few pounds on, well, I intend to get straight back onto CD when its over, so I'm not worried. CD is too expensive to waste.

I can not believe that anyone foolish enough to use such substance is using such a forum to seeking advise about dehydration. Short answer: Drugs can kill you so just don't use them.

Whoah, Alcohol actually kills more people a year than ecstacy, cocaine combined

"How many people die from using ecstasy? Isn't it very risky?

The UK figures suggest seven ecstasy-related deaths per million users. This compares to 625 alcohol-related deaths per million drinkers."

We should remember then Alcohol is a very potent drug,causing not only short term judgement problems but leading to long term organ problems - such as Korsakoffs Disease,, Liver Cirrhosis, Pancreatic disease etc

So on that note - Since Alcohol can kill you, don't use it, and don't ask the forum for advice?

Smoking can kill you, so don't ask the forum for advice?

I think too, that if you would read back the person posing the question was asking about hypothetical drug use, in no way did she condone drug use or advocate it. It was a hypothetical question, and until proven otherwise I'm willing to take her word on that.

I appreciate that you may have strong views on this, but at the end of the day deaths from drugs mentioned are actually less than the deaths from alcohol, so the knee jerk reaction to stop people taking drugs by telling them they are going to die is not one proven to work. Especially telling people that they can't ask for advice for fear of a flame war is also perhaps not the best method of drug education.

A weekend off

Hello,

I went to my friend's leaving party last week and I drank and I also had a meal and I still managed to lose 4lbs. If you stick to the diet for the week and have a weekend off you're still going to lose weight because you'll still be consuming less calories. It's just slows it down.

I see what you are saying Loubie, but the thing about drinking alcohol when in ketosis/on lower CD plans, isn't that its the calorie content people are worried about its the fact that you could make yourself very very ill.

Right, ok I see now! Well alcohol doesn't generally agree with me anyway but when I drank at the party I wasn't actually ill where as I usually am!

Whoah, Alcohol actually kills more people a year than ecstacy, cocaine combined

"How many people die from using ecstasy? Isn't it very risky?

The UK figures suggest seven ecstasy-related deaths per million users. This compares to 625 alcohol-related deaths per million drinkers."

We should remember then Alcohol is a very potent drug,causing not only short term judgement problems but leading to long term organ problems - such as Korsakoffs Disease,, Liver Cirrhosis, Pancreatic disease etc

So on that note - Since Alcohol can kill you, don't use it, and don't ask the forum for advice?

Smoking can kill you, so don't ask the forum for advice?

I think too, that if you would read back the person posing the question was asking about hypothetical drug use, in no way did she condone drug use or advocate it. It was a hypothetical question, and until proven otherwise I'm willing to take her word on that.

I appreciate that you may have strong views on this, but at the end of the day deaths from drugs mentioned are actually less than the deaths from alcohol, so the knee jerk reaction to stop people taking drugs by telling them they are going to die is not one proven to work. Especially telling people that they can't ask for advice for fear of a flame war is also perhaps not the best method of drug education.

Lexie dog, I am not instigating a flame war, my point which I may not have made to clearly, is that the last heard the two substances mentioned were both class A drugs and illegal. Alcohol may not be good for you and it may lead to more deaths per 1000 but you won't get arrested for buyng it. At the end of the day this is a diet support forum, those wanting advise hypothetical or not about class A drug use should maybe look on another type of site.

Lexie dog, I am not instigating a flame war, my point which I may not have made to clearly, is that the last heard the two substances mentioned were both class A drugs and illegal. Alcohol may not be good for you and it may lead to more deaths per 1000 but you won't get arrested for buyng it. At the end of the day this is a diet support forum, those wanting advise hypothetical or not about class A drug use should maybe look on another type of site.

No that point wasn't made clearly what was said was "people foolish enough to take drugs"

Now I could get into the argument backed up with facts and figures, as to how those "dangerous" class A drugs kill less people a year than those drinking, and how you can actually be arrested for buying alcohol, but this is a diet website, People ask for advise in relation to the diet.

The OP asked for info relating to hypothetical drug use whilst on the diet, I fail to see how simply calling her foolish and telling her "no, drugs are bad M'kay?" is going to help.

If we were adopting that hardline maybe the whole thread on drinking at all on CD should be discarded, as after all, doing something potentially harmful could have those posters labelled as foolish and just redirected to another site.

I saw nothing wrong with providing factual information in response to a question but slapping value loaded judgements on people just because you (in the broad sense) don't agree with thier choices isn't going to help with education its just going to make them not ask, indulge in the behaviour anyway but without any sort of firm knowledge behind it.

E.G I have recently posted on someones message about her appraoch to her own VLCD, now I know its dangerous, I know she'll make herself ill, and Yes I may think she is a bit "foolish" but going in guns blazing telling her "No! Thats bad stop it" isn't going to help. Expaining why whats she's doing is potentially harmful and how to remedy it is.

Just to up date everyone, It was the hen night this weekend so to get prepared I had a high carb meal on Friday followed by cereal for breakfast on Saturday, a light lunch and a two course meal on the night washed down with a galic coffee (too full for proper desert, damn!) and several G&T's and felt fine. I put on one pound, which as I went straight back on to CD on Sunday I have now lost.

I hope to reach my goal weigh of 12st. before we fly out for the wedding on 17th June. When we get back I think I will go for 11st which will give me a BMI of 25.

I initially read that as "Garlic coffee" and thought right, now I've really heard it all. ;)

Back