Dangers Of Alcohol When In Ketosis

People, can we remember the rules we signed up for when we joined Minimins - basically if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

5. Trolling/Flaming is not allowed on this forum. If you cannot say something nice do not say anything at all. This means you agree not to flame, taunt, insult, harass or disrespect any user of this forum.

The purpose of this thread is to warn people of the dangers of alcohol when in ketosis, not to argue the rights and wrongs of drug use.

DQ
Admin

Back to the topic in hand.

I spoke to my CDC on Saturday, who by the way uses the diet and is partial to a G&T. She says that if you eat a normal balanced meal you will come out of ketosis anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. She did suggest that I should make sure I had breakfast on the morning of any functions just to get the ball rolling.
She has quite happily fitted the ocasional night of alcohol consumption in with the diet and never had any adverse effects.

I suppose we need to remember though that if we have not indulged for some time it may go to our heads a bit quicker.

Hi Angy :)

Alcohol would definitely go to your head a bit quicker , as you say. If you've not had any alcohol for a while then you have no tolerance to it. Increases the risk of alcohol poisioning and possible overdose.

Many people don't realise that "binge drinking" is classed as drinking anything over 6 units of alcohol at any one time. Not hard to do when you think that the average bottle of 75cl wine contains approx 9 units :)

Bloomin eck - here goes, I bought an Atkins book years ago about 9 years i think and in that he said that it was ok to drink red wine and if i remember rightly there was a photo of him sat in a chair with a glass of red in his hand.

Last year i joined Tesco online and decided that i would low carb because i'dhad good results 9 years earlier but I hadn't drunk any alcohol back then.

I decided to buy the Atkins book again (no idea where the first one had gone) anyway no mention of alcohol in this book and it is quite different.

Anyway over the years I have started to drink more and so when i read that vodka and diet tonic was ok because it contained no carbs, I incorporated the vodka into my diet. And now after reading that I am feeling incredibly lucky that I am ok.

I go into ketosis really quickly and I didn't drop out of ketosis when i had a drink which, was most nights some weeks ( depending on how much stress i was dealing with) and now I am actually scared reading that.

Just thinking backand I had some quite bad side effects last time i low carbed and usually in the evening when I'd had a drink, usually my legs would twitch really badly and it was the most awful feeling - oh and i was exhausted allthe time too,would fall alseep on the sofa sometimes even before I'd got the kids in bed.

Thank you for adding this warning because I was going to do a red week as from tomorrow and it had been my intention to keep carbs low but I would have had a drink :-o

anne

WARNING

Hi all x

If one peson reads this & takes it onboard i'd be happy...

Basically, I WISH I had read this before last saturday... I went out & met new people as in a new area. To ease the confidence & be polite I drank some rose wine. I must have had about 4 glasses & BANG the rest is history... I blacked out!

I lost the people I was with & was alone in a new City. I got home which was a bonus... But lost over 8hrs of my life.

Yeah, I felt ill, actually beyond sick for 2 days after. But that is nothing in comparison to the thought of where I had been...

I thought, its ok, im on Soul Source, but a few wines to be polite will not harm anyone. It did, I feel dreadful, have no recolection & covered head to toe in deep bruises...

So sorry to bring the mood down a little, but please be careful, feeling ill is one thing... the blacking out doesn't bare thinking about. Its not safe.

Maybe if you do drink, stagger a cheeky soda water in there now & then, and stick with friends, maybe tell them you may be fine one minute & out of it the next, so they keep an eye on you, as there are definately some scum bags out there, who could harm you.

I do not want any of you to feel how I do now, for the sake of a polite few glasses of wine.

Just enjoy yourself, but have your wits about you.

Ok, preach over. So all I have to say is, good luck with your goals everyone, hope you get there & keep it off too x

Rhy what an awful experiance for you. Maybe I was OK because I had planned ahead for my special occasion and made sure that I was out of ketosis before I had a drink, I wouldn't chance it other wise. We all have special occaisions when we know we intend to drink, its just a matter of knowing how to do it safely. I can only say that the way I did it worked for me and now I am back on track.

Last edited:
Everyone needs the odd treat - it'd drive you round the twist sticking to CD non-stop! I stuck to it last summer, and lost 3 stone, then took the winter "off" and pretty much ate/drank what I liked (being sensible, of course) and when I went back to my CDC 3 weeks ago I'd actually lost 2lbs since I saw her in October :) I've now lost another stone and 3lbs in the last 3 weeks, but intend to have a little treat along the way to my target. It might slow the weight loss a little, but at least I'll still have a life :D

Good luck to all!!

x

Everyone needs the odd treat - it'd drive you round the twist sticking to CD non-stop! I stuck to it last summer, and lost 3 stone, then took the winter "off" and pretty much ate/drank what I liked (being sensible, of course) and when I went back to my CDC 3 weeks ago I'd actually lost 2lbs since I saw her in October :) I've now lost another stone and 3lbs in the last 3 weeks, but intend to have a little treat along the way to my target. It might slow the weight loss a little, but at least I'll still have a life :D

Good luck to all!!

x

Yes but there's a difference between the odd treat and potentially damaging yourself, ending up in hospital etc

Its not about the slower weight loss isnt about the dangers of drinking alcohol whilst in a ketotic state. You are in a ketotic state whilst on SS, SS+ and 810.

I appreciate that you took the winter "off" as you say, which would have meant that you were no longer in a ketotic state, thus rendering this danger of drinking whilst in ketosis invalid.

The big concern is that people thinking "oh just a few Vodkas and cokes" will be fine, thinking its all about the calories, and they can take the calorie hit, but its not, its about the ill health. The brain/glucose connection.

I'm not on the Cambridge Diet but thought I had something to add to this thread.

Ketosis is always something that has concerned me....let me explain.

My baby son has MCAD disease. It is a disease you cannot see and would not neccesarily know you have. Basically he survives on his last meal and cannot break down stored fats effectively. If he was to not eat regularly enough each day he would start to rapidly go into ketosis (he does not produce ketones), become hypoglycaemic and comatise.

ketosis when it is allowed to become hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) by not eating regularly enough or by consuming alcohol when on a vlc diet can cause instant death. There is little warning, so please don't try drinking while in ketosis thinking you can get away from it because you'll only know it's gone wrong when you're not here tomorrow.

Sorry for the stark warning. It is also another reason I think all people on a diet such as sole source should be checked by a doctor in particular for metabolic disease as they are silent killers prevalent in society and unique in the way most people don't know they have a condition until they don't eat regularly/well enough, and then it can be too late.

My son was thankfully tested using the guthrie (heel prick) test but this is not offered everywhere and wasn't offered anywhere until four years ago.

Hi Mum,

Thanks for the info about that test being released so soon! My doctor has always suggested getting a full blood chemistry and electrolyte panel every year just to check for anomalies that may be explained by some of these asymptomatic diseases. I'm actually due for my panels so thanks for the extra push!

Can someone please tell me what ketosis actually is and how you know whether you're in or out of it?

Ketosis is when you have a build up of ketones in your body. When you use up your glycogen stores in your liver, your body turns to fat for it's energy stores. The fat breakdown and is converted in the liver which produces ketones. Your body can use these ketones as it's primary source of energy.

How do you know whether your in or out?
To be honest, you really don't need to know, but for interest sake, many people report various side effects when they are in ketosis.

Reduced hunger
Reduced cravings
Bad breath
Some have more energy.
Funny taste in the mouth.

But as I say, it really doesn't matter that much. Do the lower plans 100% and you will be in ketosis. Either way, reduce calories and you burn fat.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your response.

I've lost 5lbs since Tuesday and am less hungry now than I was, but I would kill for a slice of Pizza and a glass of wine!

I bought some ketostix and I am losing moderate amounts of ketone... every day I do a full day I wake up feeling really proud of myself.

It's interesting reading other people's stories on here too.. keeps me going :)

Thank you for this info, i have a party on the 29th of this month a big family do, i will deffo be staying away from the alchol!

All sounds a bit dramatic to me...I know you should'nt but on the weekend since I started I have had a few glasses of wine each day and a sensible meal. Wish I hadn't but if I don't have something to look forward I wouldn't be able to stick to the diet. Sorry for all those that have been able to stick 100% I'm just not as strong as you. Not a good idea to go out and get Mullered, not a good idea to drink at all, but ho hum!
Hi Percy greenfingers, I'm with you on this one! Though I have been quite a heavy drinker in the past so cutting down on the alcohol has been very difficult for me, I am struggling with it, particularly at weekends-so therefore, I do give in and have a little cheat (well a whole bottle of wine sized cheat!)sometimes at the weekend...weekends are always the hardest times for me, but I've been absolutely fine...of course I don't want to make myself ill, but I do want to be able to have a drink every now and then when I really fancy it!!!
Remember, Teetotalers don't live longer...it just feels like it!!!!;)

I am so glad I read this article, I am going out on Friday and was planning on have one drink. But I now I will be sticking to water!!

Back