Does anyone know?

Rhino

Ex-22 stone unit!
Why is it that some people look their weight and others do not?

On the scales I'm huge but physically and bodywise I'm not.......odd eh?

This is an issue for checks (health and careerwise) of the BMI scale but
I'm just curious why the scales say these large numbers but the numbers in my clothes don't match someone of that weight.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Yes i've noticed that too. Particularly in slimming magazine articles one person can be considerably heavier than another yet look far fitter/firmer even when they're the same height. Bone structure would be my guess or perhaps they just have unfeasibly heavy internal organs !!...... Well it is late

I think body proportions play a part. Also, beware! For a long time, I didn't accept how fat I'd got - just didn't see it until I saw a photo. That woke me up! Also, some clothes are made larger than others called the same size.
Weight stays weight!

A bit off topic but I read somewhere that with the BMI measurement the scale reading went up one leg and down the other so if you had large thighs out of proportion to your upper body then the reading would be higher than if you had skinny legs and carried the same excess weight in the top half.... don't know if there's any truth in that but I sometimes take comfort from remembering it!! But most of the time I'm still being realistic though. Really. :)

I thought this when I was reading WW mag yesterday. The cover girl started at 10st 6 but a 12-14, but im 12st7 and I'm a 14! If I was 10st6 I'd easily be a 10. Shes also a similar height to me! Then the girl on the next page, her end Weight was 10st6 and she's a 10 as well. It's weird!

i was in hospital a while ago and the nurse came to take my details.
"weight?" she said.
"oh, about 18, 18 and a half stone".
"You won't be anything like that" she said "have you lost weight lately?"
"No, not at all"
So she wanders off and then comes back with the special weighing chair, and presents it with a flourish. I hop on and lo and behold, it's at the upper end of what i said.
"Where on earth is it all?" she said.
and not for the first time I said "I must be a bit dense".

Truthfully, I dunno. I have enormoboobs, and not just big, but they're really heavy. but I have small hands and tiny feet - and I'm short with short legs so my skeleton is unlikely to be especially heavy. who knows. I do know that i'll be stopping this diet a little under 12 stone and BMI 30 - because I look slim at that weight.

Enormoboobs! Ha ha. Sorry that made me laugh Spangles.
You could be a Ben 10 character!
Apologies, this is not remotely helpful in terms of the thread..... x

My body measurements are surprisingly close to a lot of my male friends. I am usually slightly smaller than most guys but others I'm larger! My shoulders especially are broad and I was not given the gift of very big breasts either lol. I joke that if I took what breasts I have off I could pass as a guy. hehe. Even my muscles form more like a guys build than a woman's... very strange. I do however have the problem of needing bigger pants. I cannot buy low-cut for the life of me! Any low-cut jeans I try on end up being extra low-cut jeans... -_- Jeans are the most annoying thing to pick out so when I find some I like I work 'em!

To get an accurate reading of what you really should "weigh" or whatever you call it, it is actually fat percentages. When you weigh yourself you need to take into account your bone structure, your muscle mass and water. Athletes have BMI that are off the roof however they are low in body fat and very high in muscle. Muscles also weigh more than fat. Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of fat that is hiding in between the organs - that is very dangerous.
Bloating also causes havoc (I personally bloat like nobody's business, I can easily gain a dress size and a half), hence measuring the fat percentage is much more accurate.
I am starting off weighing myself because despite I am don't look heavy and "carry it well" I do feel it. When I have hit 12 stone, I'll start taking measurements more into account, because in the end of the day, it's about how you look and want to look, not what the scales say. The more muscle you have the leaner you look. A lot of the ladies in the SW magazines are definitely smaller than what they used to be, but you wouldn't called them lean and ripped - hence sizes are all over the place - fat, water and muscle and bone structure - the weird and wonderful world of sizes.

RedOwl said:
I thought this when I was reading WW mag yesterday. The cover girl started at 10st 6 but a 12-14, but im 12st7 and I'm a 14! If I was 10st6 I'd easily be a 10. Shes also a similar height to me! Then the girl on the next page, her end Weight was 10st6 and she's a 10 as well. It's weird!

Don't forget to take height into account. If I went down to 10st6 I'd probably be a size 6 because I'm tall. My target weight is 11st 7

Back