Does lots of exercise lead to no losses??

One of the things I like about SW is that you don't have to set yourself a 'weight target' as it were. I try to exercise quite a bit, and am doing mostly running at the moment. I am aiming to be a size 10/12 rather than a specific weight, as I would rather be toned and the size I am comfortable with, rather than a specific number on the scales.

I actually find that my losses are more sporadic when I am running alot - some weeks I can have nothing off, and others maybe 2-3lbs.

Everyone is different, but one thing that can't be disputed are the benefits of exericse - and not just for weight loss - so keep it up!

thanks chick, i did feel like some people were having a go at me:( so thanks for sticking up for me there.

its the couch potato to 5k that im doing too but ive hurt my knee (it happened before taking up running but ive aggrevated it somehow) so ive not done it since tuesday:( its really good to hear that doing that form of exercise has had a noticeable change on your body shape - well done you for sticking with it :)

running fits in best with my life i dont have the money to join a gym of anything like that so to be told that its basically no good for losing weight was really discouraging:confused: but after reading what you have said then im going to stick with it after my knee recovers that is lol

thank you for your kind words and being so encouraging ((hugs))

You're welcome :) Sorry to hear about your knee - hope it heals soon (((hugs)))

I know reading the other post would have really put me off if I was just starting out so I wanted to share my experience to show you that it *really* does make a difference.

The point about it not helping with weight loss - my brother does c25k and is on about week 6; I think he has approx a stone and a half to lose and loses every week. A few weeks ago he lost 4lb in one week! (Hes not doing SW though). I don't lose weight cos I'm at target plus I use my calories burned for treats that evening - if I haven't exercised I don't have any extra treats! Even if I didn't notice a difference in my body/weight I would still do it because it makes a massive difference to how I feel about myself. I just feel a zillion times more positive when I've been running.

I've never been to a slimming club because I don't want to focus on my weight anymore (or at least try not - some weeks I still obsess!). I've had days in the past where I've felt 'thin' and marvellous only to step on the scales and realise I've put on a few pounds and thats it - I feel fat and rubbish!

Whether you lose weight or not running will make you feel so much better so keep it up (once your knees better that is :))

Good luck :)

To OP - is your swimming pool a funny size?? Because 64 lengths of a 25m pool is 1 mile, 40 would be 1km :)

Any activity which raises your pulse sufficiently will lead to fat burning which when combined with calorie-reducing diet (e.g. SW) WILL help to lose weight.

For a person of average fitness, walking does not really raise your pulse as it is not much physical exercion. However, if you are overweight and / or unfit, then to say

You have to build up the mileage for it to be any good at helping to loose weight

is a load of baloney.
5km of walking or running at a pace at which an individual is pushing themself WILL HELP WEIGHT LOSS ceteris paribus (i.e. if calorie intake does not increase ;) ) in the long run.

It will also improve your body shape and mental wellbeing, so lots of positives.
It can take a lot of willpower and motivation to start an exercise regime so very well done to all the slimmers out there who are making these positive changes to their lifestyles :) :)

reading the last post, I feel very motivated to get off my lazy ass and go do some exercise thanks

I think all exercise no matter how big or small is good because it will all add up and benefit us in the long run

To OP - is your swimming pool a funny size?? Because 64 lengths of a 25m pool is 1 mile, 40 would be 1km :)

Any activity which raises your pulse sufficiently will lead to fat burning which when combined with calorie-reducing diet (e.g. SW) WILL help to lose weight.

For a person of average fitness, walking does not really raise your pulse as it is not much physical exercion. However, if you are overweight and / or unfit, then to say

is a load of baloney.
5km of walking or running at a pace at which an individual is pushing themself WILL HELP WEIGHT LOSS ceteris paribus (i.e. if calorie intake does not increase ;) ) in the long run.

It will also improve your body shape and mental wellbeing, so lots of positives.
It can take a lot of willpower and motivation to start an exercise regime so very well done to all the slimmers out there who are making these positive changes to their lifestyles :) :)

At least... bloody well said Prawny. Of course exercise is good for you, any. We cant all start out and be able to do 10k. Well done OP, keep on trucking!

is a load of baloney.

I think we need to make a distinction between feeling like you are pushing yourself, and physically pushing yourself. Middle/Long distance running at a recreational level is mental exertion and feels worse than the calories burnt suggests.

Back to the original poster who was complaining 1lb weight loss was not enough when she had been walking and running 3 times that week. If you burn 300 calories running 5k, running and walking you loose slightly less, doing that 3 times in a week won't help weight loss. Nothing to do with the exercise impeding weight loss, it just doesn't aid it when not done on large enough scale.

You are preaching to the converted about body shape and mental well being. By all means run, just don't complain the weight isn't coming off as fast as you like when the mileage just isn't high enough.

I don't really understand what people are saying about running not really helping weight loss..? I lost a stone in a month about 2 years ago when I started running 45 mins a day. I hadn't been sedentary beforehand either, I was already walking 1.5 hours daily (to/from work). Running has always been the fastest way for me to lose weight.

Oh, and I didn't run very fast either. Slow and steady wins the race for me!

There's a lot of literature on the interweb if you type in a query about exercise and weight loss. I'm sticking with my hour of pink cheekedness and profuse sweating as an indicator of exertion. It's the exertion which seems to be key if you want a loss - I've gone from a light stroll with the dog for 2 hours a day to a brisk hours walk and a class or 2 of dance. I've picked up the pace to get the heart racing as that's when all the benefits of exercise kicks in. But then there's all the other aspects of it, like taking a day of rest for the muscles, drinking water so that your body doesn't feel madly dehydrated, the psychology of just getting up and out. I was chatting to a dietician and she said that exercise can be just as much of a minefield as trying to lose weight, if you really start looking into it.

I think we need to make a distinction between feeling like you are pushing yourself, and physically pushing yourself. Middle/Long distance running at a recreational level is mental exertion and feels worse than the calories burnt suggests.

Back to the original poster who was complaining 1lb weight loss was not enough when she had been walking and running 3 times that week. If you burn 300 calories running 5k, running and walking you loose slightly less, doing that 3 times in a week won't help weight loss. Nothing to do with the exercise impeding weight loss, it just doesn't aid it when not done on large enough scale.

You are preaching to the converted about body shape and mental well being. By all means run, just don't complain the weight isn't coming off as fast as you like when the mileage just isn't high enough.

Gawd Jemma do you really have to be so negative? There are plenty of people who lose weight in the early weeks of c25k - my brother being one of them! We get you can run really-really long distances, well done - not back to supporting others.....

I agree wholeheartedly that any exercise is good for you, a brisk walk, a steady jog or a fast run. Anything which raises the heart rate but please do not expect it to rapidly increase your weight losses.
I'm not getting into the calories burnt bit, just going to quote SW who say in the body magic book then exercise can help and you may lose 1-2lb extra per month on top of your normal weight loss. Not the dramatic increase people expect and it is only a maybe.

Exercise because it is good for you and not for the extra pounds. The benefit is to your heart and body shape as well as feeling good.

Keep on going!

I agree with theose who posted DO the exercise... It is so impoartnt for a healthy life.

The main advantage of exercise is the toning aspect. By doing exercise you avoid losing muscle mass, so you tone up as they are being exercised helping them build and as the fat on top decreases you look better overall... It will also stop you becoming a "skinny fat person" with little definition and flabby bits but within the healthy weight range.

I agree wholeheartedly that any exercise is good for you, a brisk walk, a steady jog or a fast run. Anything which raises the heart rate but please do not expect it to rapidly increase your weight losses.
I'm not getting into the calories burnt bit, just going to quote SW who say in the body magic book then exercise can help and you may lose 1-2lb extra per month on top of your normal weight loss. Not the dramatic increase people expect and it is only a maybe.

Exercise because it is good for you and not for the extra pounds. The benefit is to your heart and body shape as well as feeling good.

Keep on going!

Agree with this. I am a great believer in being realistic (to avoid the sort of disappointment which leads to failure) so would rather know the facts and I think the Body Magic advice is about right.

As an aside, I did a home blood pressure thing this weekend and blood pressure was low (hopefuly not too low at 96/69) and my resting heart rate was 46 which is apparently very healthy - that must be down to all the exercise I've been doing as BMI wise, I am still obese.

my gosh, after reading some of the negative replies you could easily go away feeling quite dispondant- y im not saying you have to say what that person may want to hear but if you cant be supportive and encourage others then you on the wrong forum!

congratulations to all you fabulous ladies taking the brave steps to start exercising- well done to all of you! i for one always notice a difference to my losses after i ?only? run/brisk walk 1.9miles to my mothers house ONCE a week..and i feel damn good about myself after, which benifits my physical and mental wellbeing which ARE as equally important!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just to add my two pence worth. After having 2 csections i have an "overhang" and since starting sw i have been losing weight but also exercising and this overhang has reduced dramatically in the very short time i have been exercising. I think exercise is important for many reason but one being that you will have alot less lose skin if you do it ALONGSIDE dieting.

Not true. This formula proves it:

When calories eaten are LESS than calories burned off = Weight Loss

Therefore, we can lose weight by doing no excersize at all - provided we eat less calories than we burn off. So lets say an average woman burns off 2000 calories a day when she is just doing her daily stuff (going to work, walking around the shopping centre, etc.) and she eats 1500 calories a day. She will lose weight. Why? Because the body starts to use its fat reserves when the person doesn't eat enough calories.

If the same woman decides that three times a week she will burn off 300 cals (=900 a week) she will burn off fat at a *slightly* faster rate. If she increases the exersize, the fat loss will increase accordingly....except, the body make adjustments for muscle building / tone etc. But overall, she will burn more calories and lose more weight. In fact, increased muscle mass leads to the body being more efficient at burning calories which also means more weight loss. <<<just a side note: why do you think that some people with illnesses such as anorexia stand up all day rather than sit down? because they know that standing up burns something like 200 cals a day more than if you sat down and they know it all adds up and leads to weight loss>>>

If someone is exersizing and not losing weight and this continues for some time, the bottom line is that they are eating too many calories.

Slimming world is a plan which *naturally* helps people to reduce their calorie intake without having to actually count calories. Also the intake of more fruit and vegetables increases the efficiency of digestion and burns more calories as part of the digestive process.

So the answer is - exersize - a small amount or a large amount of it - is beneficial and ultimately will lead to weight loss *provided* you aren't eating too much.

I hope the person who is doing 5k walks will carry on because its all beneficial and every time you do something extra you are increasing the amount of energy (calories) you burn off.

I do walking several times a week and a small amount on the Wii fit. I don't believe that sitting on my bum will be better than getting up off it....neither do I think I have to be an olympic athelete for it to be worth it.

Hathor
x

Well said Hathor..

Just to add..

If you feel you are staying the same weight and are exercising well and controlling your calorie intake (ie following SW plan properly) maybe take your measurements each week. Muscle weighs more than fat.. you may not think you are gaining muscle but increasing the amount you walk or run will make your legs more muscle then fat.. so you may be toning your body perfectly while not going down on the scales.. this will balance out and you will start to go down on the scale again.

thanks very much Hathor and all the other lovely ladies who posted with a positive and supportive comment.

i wasnt even the original poster so sorry that i seem to have highjacked your thread:eek: but i was the one who posted about being disappointed about my weight loss after starting the couch potaro to 5k, i was really quite shocked at some of the comments and thought for a minute that id posted on the wrong forum, i have never read an unsupportive thread here and couldnt believe what i was reading sometimes:cry:

anyway it seems that my running days might be over as an old knee injury came back and i ended up having to get a cortisone injection in my knee today:eek: never experienced pain like it in my whole life but hopefully once its healed up ill be back exercising but only briskly walking for now.

Back