Don't shoot me but why do we have to search before we post..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youre very welcome to, all reported posts are flagged to all Moderators, I have my minimins email set up on my Blackberry so I get instant notifications of any reported posts.

Obviously its not necessary to flag up every post where someone suggests searching but if you feel the tone in some is unfair then thats different[/QUOTE]

For me that is the problem, it's the 'tone' used! Suggesting people search should be helpful but on here atm it isn't. It's done in a snide, pa way. It's not very nice for somewhere that should be full of people helping each other with us all being on the same journey.

Youre very welcome to, all reported posts are flagged to all Moderators, I have my minimins email set up on my Blackberry so I get instant notifications of any reported posts.

Obviously its not necessary to flag up every post where someone suggests searching but if you feel the tone in some is unfair then thats different[/QUOTE]

For me that is the problem, it's the 'tone' used! Suggesting people search should be helpful but on here atm it isn't. It's done in a snide, pa way. It's not very nice for somewhere that should be full of people helping each other with us all being on the same journey.

i agree

It all boils down to good manners!

I think the main reason is because alot of questions get asked alot and if it was asked every day a few times a day, nobody would ever reply to new threads because its the same reoccurring questions over and over. I love the search(saves me scrolling through lists and lists of threads), I use my smart phone app too and it's really easy. And the plus side , you don't have to wait for a reply because the answer is likely to already be there :) especially with syn/recipe queries etc.

I think the main reason is because alot of questions get asked alot and if it was asked every day a few times a day, nobody would ever reply to new threads because its the same reoccurring questions over and over. I love the search(saves me scrolling through lists and lists of threads), I use my smart phone app too and it's really easy. And the plus side , you don't have to wait for a reply because the answer is likely to already be there :) especially with syn/recipe queries etc.

If you read further up its not just on everyday questions or syn values

Little Miss Determined said:
If you read further up its not just on everyday questions or syn values

Was just replying to OP and the question asked. Haven't read through the whole thread.

I have to agree I've seen some real shocker of curt and confrontational responses and really there is no need to relate to people, especially new people, in that way. It's just plain rude. The ones where people who have the patience and intension to help others and post the links for me are the most helpful. Not everybody is forum savvy and they may not be used to site like this or search tools. For some more timid and shy among us it may be their way of dipping in their toes to try and become part of this great community. If some people have been here for a long time and already know ‘all that stuff’ you can almost sense the ‘boring go look it up’ feeling in their responses. I suppose it can be difficult to remember that you were new once.

Where people have to start a post with 'sorry if' or 'I hope I don’t get jumped on but' ... are really sad to see in a place where people who are pursuing the same goal come for assistance and support and such intimidating responses will either drive people off to other forums or they won’t want to contribute for fear of instant derision.

Perhaps it would be better to remember - if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. People have a choice not to answer or to even read something they might find annoying, inconvenient or even repetitive. Or, you could post a quick response or link and help somebody along their way.

For me personally the moderators on this forum do an outstanding job as do the vast majority of the members who offer some great advice and support – it is still my first port of call when I need help or information. It is not an easy task to keep a huge site like doing as well as it does with the good quality of information that is available. I would like to see it continue that way.

Personally I can see both sides (I've put my 2p's on here before about this)

Syn queries, questions regarding Mullerlights/mug shots etc. need to be searched or even posted in the correct sub forum. otherwise it just gets silly!

However personal queries are just that, personal so each person is different. So a post is needed/understood.

I understand that the tone can sometimes come across as *****y but remember this is the net & tone, inflection etc. are missing! Therefore it can be easily taken the wrong both sides.

I'm off to get the fence post removed from my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I can understand how 'use the search facility' could seem a little short but I can't think of a better way of putting it!

More established members WERE putting links to other posts but we found that people then either didn't know about or didn't use the search facility.

I love the fact that new members can just jump on in and post. The reason that people are encouraged to search for similar posts are that if lots of people are effectively 'repeat posting' (not the same person, just the same topic) new members first posts can easily get pushed onto the second (or occasionally third!!) page and not get answered at all!!! This used to happen quite frequently (until the sub-forums were up and running! - THANKS MODS!! :D )

I understand that everyone is different and that we all have our own triggers/reasons/emotions etc and of course every post is personal to the poster. However if, for example, you are asking what to do after a binge to 'pull it back' you would find that many others had been in your position and had asked the same question. Obviously the reasons for the binge vary greatly from person to person but the responses to the 'how to pull it back' question would still stand.

Last edited:
Sub forums are there for a reason and so is the search facility, if there was no need for them they wouldn't be here! The main forum should not be taken up with syn queries, recipes, healthy extra queries etc the sub forums are in full view at the top of the site but people still choose to ignore them :confused:

We could go on about this til we are blue in the face but until people start using the site properly people are going to point them in the proper direction and if people want to take offence at the way they are being told thats up to them, some people (you know who you are) look to find posts where they can find faults with it! I have only ever been told off once for a post by Mini, I apologised and said I wouldn't do it again, my post came across as sharp, its not how I mean't it you just can't see someones expression behind a computer screen! I'm also not here with primary school children so some people need to stop taking offence at so many posts on here, there are rules put in place and people clearly aren't following them! :) :) :)

The Rules state that if you take exception to any post, do not argue, answer or perpetuate the argument but to use the report button.
May I politely suggest that you do this to any post that gives offence?
These threads/posts arguing about the forum rules are not helpful to anyone, and makes the forum look very unfriendly.

It all boils down to good manners!

I posted on a thread a few days ago where a question had already been asked - ok ok hands up, I hadnt read all the posts properly, and when I was told off I thought that the posts had overlapped - the response I got from a certain person was downright rude, sarcastic and patronising and I felt about 2 feet tall.

I realise that its frustrating for those that are keeping mini mins in good efficient order and I have now learned to search properly but to be honest, I would have preferred a private message to the response I got. On hindsight, I wish I had reported it.

We are all on a learnign curve - with our weight loss, our lives and this website and good manners and patience costs nothing x

I think that anyone using a forum has to accept that some responses may come across as being less than polite, although it probably wasn't intentional.

I was introduced to this forum by someone who had stopped using it because she felt that some of her posts had been picked on and treated with disrespect. Looking at the relevant posts it was obvious that a certain amount of sarcasm had been used in responses to her posts, and even though it probably was deliberate, I thought she had over-reacted (I think she agrees with me now!). It is pointless to take any of it personally.

I log in here every day and often see threads which are repetitive. I don't usually bother to open them - I let the cursor hover over the title and it usually shows enough of the question for me to know whether I want to read on.

I think also that part of the problem of people not posting in the right places is that when people look at websites, they don't always actually see what is there. It may be obvious to some of us that there are subforums clearly indicated, but not everyone will notice them. I have helped to train people to use websites in the past and have often noticed that if I told people to click on something I often had to actually tap on the screen for them to see it! Don't know why that is (people also have no idea of what is on their keyboards, but that's a whole other story!).

Sorry, I have rambled on a bit, so feel free to tell me off for that! :D

I personally don't think this thread makes the forum seem unfriendly, the curt responses being discussed are what gives off the unfriendly vibe, I think it would show newbies that a lot of people don't feel the same as the very vocal few who take exception to repeated threads.

AF - I agree, we do have to accept that a statement, in the written form, can come across not as intended but i'm 99.9% certain that the examples leading to this thread are coming across exactly as intended!

It's unnecessary and un called for.

Pepsi77 said:
I personally don't think this thread makes the forum seem unfriendly, the curt responses being discussed are what gives off the unfriendly vibe, I think it would show newbies that a lot of people don't feel the same as the very vocal few who take exception to repeated threads.

AF - I agree, we do have to accept that a statement, in the written form, can come across not as intended but i'm 99.9% certain that the examples leading to this thread are coming across exactly as intended!

It's unnecessary and un called for.

Have you reported the posts you feel this way about? it really is the best way of addressing issues like this, or failing that a polite private message?

The vocal few you speak about are simply the ones who haven't just given up trying to help people navigate their way around the forum pages. They are also the people who will be the 1st to answer a syn query, or provide some support if someone is having a bad day. I have found some of those vocal few to be the most supportive on here over the last few days when I have really needed them. I would be drowning in a vat of Ben & jerry's right now if it wasn't for them.

kingleds said:
Have you reported the posts you feel this way about? it really is the best way of addressing issues like this, or failing that a polite private message?

The vocal few you speak about are simply the ones who haven't just given up trying to help people navigate their way around the forum pages. They are also the people who will be the 1st to answer a syn query, or provide some support if someone is having a bad day. I have found some of those vocal few to be the most supportive on here over the last few days when I have really needed them. I would be drowning in a vat of Ben & jerry's right now if it wasn't for them.

I can't thank you or like your post on my iPhone but I totally agree :d

vanilla_cupcake said:
Me too!!! Think there should be a 'like' option put on the next iPhone app update!!

Agreed. It would be nice! Maybe Starlight could put in a good word for us?! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back