Don't shoot me but why do we have to search before we post..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucylu79

Gold Member
...when we want to type something on the spur of the moment, from us, the individual, and therefor it being 'our post'

Instead, we are meant to search for other members thread that yes could of been similar to ours and perhaps had a lot of responce.

Perhaps i'm missing something here - and if I am perhaps i'd be better off finding another forum to post in but I see alot of "if you would of searched before you posted you would see that this has been asked before"

So what your saying is that we must first search and check if its been asked before? Why can't we ask the same questions about the same diet? Its a forum designed with us, the users in mind but yet we seem to get into trouble for asking things that have been asked previously.

Whats wrong with asking for help and advise or are we boring you perhaps???

And no, I didn't search before I posted this.

Its not a case of searching every time you post, but if its a general question then it makes sense. Do you know there are almost 300 threads looking for suggestions for lunch ideas. Very often the same question is asked several times on the one page. Whats the benefit to the same question being asked every day?

If youre wanting to know a syn value or recipe for instance then if you search you find the answer immediately so its a win win situation, you dont need to wait for answers.

Noones expecting there to be no duplicate threads thats just not practical but when you see the same question being asked literally every single day it does get annoying, and if the same question is asked over and over then youll find you dont get the same replies.

Its really just a common sense thing :) The search facility is dead easy to do it literally takes seconds to use and if your question has been answered recently - bonus :) Obviously noones expecting people to search back threads going back months/years

Personally, if I want to find something out I google it first knowing full well that minimins 'usually' comes up with the question already been asked.

Taking yesterday for example, hubby "twisted my arm" into having a cider. I googled it first and minimins did indeed come up with the very thread showing that someone had infact asked the same question.

Hopefully in that respect thats what you, the moderator would have preferred, but, to see someone asking a question in minimins (that i'd like to point out gets asked in my class nearly every week) about syns and her first reply is from a 'regular' saying if you'd of searched you'd see that this was asked last week.

This is where I feel the problem is.

The thing is though we have the Syn/Eating Out/Recipe forums not just to keep things tidy but to build up a really good comprehensive and searchable data base. Like a Syn handbook. By searching in the Syn forum it ignores all other sub forums and just comes back with the syn threads. Its sort of like using the syns online.

Pointing out the fact the forum is searchable is actually good advice for newcomers who perhaps dont realise how comprehensive the info on here is :)

I agree and I think some people are getting a bit much with their "search first" comments. However I know the reasons behind some of them. If someone is asking syn queries, healthy extras and ideas for meals, there are a hell of a lot of posts already with loads of answers and especially recipes and syn queries are pretty much always going to be the same answers so its always worth a search first. What I don't agree with is people asking a question about their experiences with sw, and being told to search as there was a thread the same last week. Everyone's sw journey is a very different and personal thing, and yes there may have been someone last week who had a binge and feels guilty, but in that situation people are looking for reassurance and some advice, not to read about someone else who binged because of a totally different trigger. That is how I look at it anyway x

Personally, if I want to find something out I google it first knowing full well that minimins 'usually' comes up with the question already been asked.

Taking yesterday for example, hubby "twisted my arm" into having a cider. I googled it first and minimins did indeed come up with the very thread showing that someone had infact asked the same question.

Hopefully in that respect thats what you, the moderator would have preferred, but, to see someone asking a question in minimins (that i'd like to point out gets asked in my class nearly every week) about syns and her first reply is from a 'regular' saying if you'd of searched you'd see that this was asked last week.

This is where I feel the problem is.

If you are only looking the syn value of something then whats the problem with searching for it and finding the answer, why is there a need to ask for it again if it has already been asked and answered by someone else :)

I'm sorry but i agree with lucylu79 and it seem to be the same 2 members

If you are only looking the syn value of something then whats the problem with searching for it and finding the answer, why is there a need to ask for it again if it has already been asked and answered by someone else :)

its not just syn values though

Ah yes but she didn't ask how many syns were in something, it was asking us, the forum users at that time, how we used them etc. A question that I think is very important and extremely useful to hear other peoples replies.

You must have new members joining minimins every day, I guess what i'm trying to say is I just don't see why we should have to search to see if someone else asked a question similar/the same some time ago meaning that A/ I shouldn't post my thread or B/ I should join the older one.

Using Lucys example of cider, if you search the Syn forum for cider you get a list of probably every cider you could think of so its a good tool for future reference

Little Miss Determined, I think thats very unfair, its most certainly more than 2 members on here who point out about the search facility.

Maybe but it is a problem on here and not just a problem ive got

I dont honestly see why its a big problem to do a quick search if its a very general query. On the other hand some things it can be hard to find in searches, if the key word is too short or common.

I think the thread youre referring to was probably unfortunately timed, it was a topic that had been discussed several times in a couple of days, something I think the OP of that thread actually acknowledged

I dont honestly see why its a big problem to do a quick search if its a very general query. On the other hand some things it can be hard to find in searches, if the key word is too short or common.

I think the thread youre referring to was probably unfortunately timed, it was a topic that had been discussed several times in a couple of days, something I think the OP of that thread actually acknowledged

It has been a few threads and its not a problem for us to do a search its the way we are being spoken to by other members. Like i say its not just me its affecting other people too therefore it does need addressing

her example was about syns!!!!

Not about 'syn values' and isn't that what the heading says?

We've gone off track, i'm not very good at getting my point across.

I'm not asking why we have to search to find the answer to something like syn values, i'm asking why we have to search to see if someone else has osted a personal thread and why I should jump on there's instead of asking my own similar questions to forum members actively using the site at that point.

Lucy you dont 'have to' its just purely some questions literally are asked 4/5 times a week. Things like using syns daily/weekly, treat/cheat nights. Threads like that tend to get good responses and a variety of input, if you can see a recent one youll probably get a good variation of opinions.

When a question has been asked for the 4th time in a week you tend to find the responses tail off, so actually you end up getting not a great deal of input.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if people posted links to similar threads instead of just saying to search. That might be more helpful to new members

Dont ever hesitate to post though :)

If you or anyone else is unhappy with a post then do feel free to hit the report button and itll be looked at by the Moderator/Admin team

for the people it concerns, i think we are going to have to do this in future!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back