Dreding work- tips please?

Determined Girl

Here's hoping
Hey gang,

well I started LT in my summer holidays (I'm a teacher) and I've got to say I'm dreading being back at work and coping with LT. At the moment I'm not that active (other than the gym) but I don't know how I'm going to cope being on the go all day and not eating. How do others cope?

Plus on Friday's we order fish and chips into the staffroom. Just wondering how to avoid this (not really wanting to tell everyone I'm on TFR as there will be inevitable gossip and mockery)

I dunno- just feeling it's set to get a lot harder :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated
xx

Hi,

Do you live far away from you school, is it possible to nip home at lunch time???

x

Hiya hun,

I was firstly thinking that being busy and on the go is the best way to pass the day. I find that if I am busy or out then the day goes by faster and I dont even notice that I want food. I am thinking that this will not be a problem for you babes.

Secondly, to avoid the fish and chips, just say that during the holidays you went to a fish restaurant with friends and ended up with food poisoning and that has put you off fish for life. As for the chips just say as they get cooked in the same place you can smell the fish.

I would have said "sod them it's your body" but I know the reactions people give about this diet. My GP looked at me with sad eyes and said "I really dont think it sounds healthy, I would not suggest it" I wanted to hit him but when I told him I lost 4kg in the first week he was amazed but still not approving. Like I care!

Hope it works out for you
xxx

I think because you have been going to the gym you will be better prepared than you think. However you may need to cut back on the gym in the first week especially since your job requires alot of energy. The no food thing in work i will say is difficult even more if no one knows. You only need to have one shake or flapjack in work so you could always say ur going shopping or out for lunch. You dont need long to have your shake si just find a corner or something haha i know this sounds bad. But that means you can still keep up social interaction coz you just have your quick shake and go in and talk to the others. And the fish & chip thing just say you have given up fatty food for a while. They might question you but you have shown that you have the ability to have great will power so you should be fine.

I think going home for lunch if possible would be the easiest but if not I hope this helps a bit.

I'm on cd and work in a school so in a similar position, I was on cd before the summer holidays and I told people at school I'm doing a low carb/cal diet (which will explain why you can't have fish/chips) I take cd soups and colleagues think I'm having a "cup a soup", as I quite often had soup before the holidays they don't think anything of it. I don't find being on the go a problem, in fact being busy most of the day makes it easier if anything, I agree do not tell people you are on a vlcd or you will get nagged, if they think you are low "carbing" they will just be amazed at your weight loss, and want to try low carbing themseleves. A colleague was doing slimfast and constantly got nagged about her diet, and tried to make her eat but people leave me alone and don't try and tempt me with food!!

i rm when i first started this diet last year.................i work in retail but i would fin at 3 to collect my daughter. i didnt tell any of my guys which diet i was doing but i was lucky that im not the sort of person who needs to each at lunch........but i use to go out to the shops for a walk and at 3 ish i would come home n have a shake...........but if the guys offered me food i would tell them i had a massive breakfast......n im gona eat at 3 instead with my child.........no one said NYTHING.
I think just teling them ur on a diet and absolutly no junk food monday to friday and say sat is ur day on eating a little junk food.

I'm a teacher too and only 2 people at the school I'm at know I'm on a vlcd - I've heard the nasty remarks made about someone else who is on LL!!!!!!

Last year I survived by having a flapjack each lunchtime. Can't get them from my chemist at the mo - he says LT are having quality issues - so will make up my shake in my classroom when no-one is around!!!

I told them I was low-carbing/GI dieting last year and that shut people up and they left me to it!

Good luck hun.

x

When I did TFR last year I went home for lunch everyday, I didnt tell anyone that I was doing TFR because I knew that I would get a negative reaction and I just wanted to do it, without any fuss or having to defend myself.

You could make your shakes in your car every lunch time, just go to a local park or something.

In regards to the fish and chips - just tell people you are being healthy and don't want to eat fish and chips. Simples.

You might even be ok to have your shake in the morning, and then wait to you get home and have your 2nd shake, then have your last one for supper.

Go for a walk at lunchtimes, or go window shopping around some clothes shops to keep you motivated and focused.

Good luck, stay strong, and remember that you will have to change some habits in the long run anyway if you want to maintain.

Its your life, and your health and don't feel like you have to explain or answer to anyone else. You are doing LT to get slim and healthy, and don't let anyone stop you!!

Even when you get to goal, you wont be able to eat fish and chips every friday, so look at the bigger picture and feel proud for making a decision that will only be positive for you in the long run.

Julz
x

Thanks so much for your advice guys!

I hadn't even thought about some of those tips- brilliant!!

I just can't face the disapproval from some of the 'skinnies' so didn't want to fully explain the diet....but saying I'm cutting out fatty food would be perfectly acceptable.

Great! I'm set now and more determined than ever! You guys are the best!!!

xxx

Glad you're more focussed woman, you're gonna be just fine. :D

Hi just tell them your on slimfast i work in a hospital and you can imagine that gossip goes round faster than anything so tell them your on slimfast and leave it at that or go to your car as it doesn't take long to do and drink but either way you will be ok.

Hey Lucy baby!

You'll be surprised how much energy you'll have after losing all that weight! I am on my feet running around all day from 6:30am until 9-10pm, I even stand to drink my shake! You'll be grand, don't go into school with a negative attitude, worried you won't be able to cope. Be positive and take one day at a time.

This is what I don't understand :confused: Why would you give two hoots what anyone thinks about you doing LT? Why is it anyone's business but your own? I couldn't care less what people think of me as I'm doing LT for me and no one else. If people ask then I tell them with pride. If they frown upon it or don't like it then TOUGH! That's for them to deal with and FA to do with me.

As for the chippy - Tell them you're on a health kick and you don't want to pollute your body with crap. Tell them your arteries are too important to you, then say 'Bon Appetite' as you sip on your life saving delish LT shake while doing a happy dance.

Love ya!

X

Hey Lucy baby!

You'll be surprised how much energy you'll have after losing all that weight! I am on my feet running around all day from 6:30am until 9-10pm, I even stand to drink my shake! You'll be grand, don't go into school with a negative attitude, worried you won't be able to cope. Be positive and take one day at a time.

This is what I don't understand :confused: Why would you give two hoots what anyone thinks about you doing LT? Why is it anyone's business but your own? I couldn't care less what people think of me as I'm doing LT for me and no one else. If people ask then I tell them with pride. If they frown upon it or don't like it then TOUGH! That's for them to deal with and FA to do with me.

As for the chippy - Tell them you're on a health kick and you don't want to pollute your body with crap. Tell them your arteries are too important to you, then say 'Bon Appetite' as you sip on your life saving delish LT shake while doing a happy dance.

Love ya!

X

I must admit I am with on that one. I can appreciate it is tough getting disapproving comments from people and the constant questions, but at the end of the day, you are doing something to change your life, it may not be 'the norm', but it works for you. A new healthier and slimmer you. There are worst things in life than LT! I work in a GP Surgery, and by lord I have my fair share of criticisms, from doctors, nurses, manager AND patients!!! I have never hid what I am doing, and proud to say this is what I am doing- look at me now ha ha.

Good luck, I hope you find a way round it that you feel comfortable.

Hi Determined Girl, I'm a teacher too and in a similar position to you. Didn't really want to share my new diet with anyone. I've been on it for 6 days now and the first week back was ok. I have avoided the staffroom at lunch time until about 10 minutes before bell and then I've gone up for a quick coffee just to make sure I stay "in the loop". I've made my shake up in my stock cupboard and drunk it at my desk whilst marking. If any one asked me why I wasn't coming up I just said that I was trying to find a new work life balance and doing some marking at lunchtime so I could go home earlier. So far no-one has batted an eyelid! Good luck on your weightloss journey, I'm sure you'll work it out. X

Hey Lucy baby!

Love ya!

X

Betsyyyyyy!!! Where have you beeeeeen?!?! I've missed you the last few days!!

I hear what you're saying and to be honest I don't really care...it's just in schools it becomes more trouble than it is worth to do anything 'different'. The head (and all his deputies) are former P.E teachers and really judgemental regarding anything health related. I once overheard them talking about the non-productivity of smokers...and to keep their eyes on how many days off sick they were etc.

I just worry that if I 'come out' then there will be people looking for signs of me being 'unfit' etc. It's quite the climate of mistrust and I don't want to give them any fuel....despite the fact that anyone who researches LT can see that it's a great programme which can only make you healthier!!

I feel fine about going back now. I have some good friends at work and I'll tell them but was just wanting to avoid the scepticism and silly speculation (teachers are waaaaaaaaaay worse than the kids we teach!!) Pathetic really.

Anyway....it's all good. I'm feeling and looking better already so to be honest STUFF anyone who has anything negative to say about this diet!!

xxxx

Wahey that's the attitude girl. You go. Stuff 'em! You're number one.

Grr at the judgemental poohead, old farts. I understand what you're saying but it is so unfair and unjust. I bet you're fantastic at your job and that should be all that matters. They should be pleased you're taking care of your health. Erm, the healthier you are the more fit and able you are for the job. You would think they would respect and appreciate that. Meh, I'd be sacked for my attitude (probably the reason I could never work for anyone!)

I've had a hectic week and everytime I sat down to come online something or someone popped up that needed my attention. It was my baby's first day at Infants school, bless her. Then one of my other Daughters who passed all her GCSEs decided that uni isn't for her and she wants to be a dental nurse. She has always been obsessed by teeth, strange child (well of course she's strange, she's my offspring!) So I've been trying to convince her that maybe being a dentist would be more suitable (more money!) but no she's her mind made up - She wants to be a dental nurse and she has already found and started a job as one. She also models, and I've tried to explain to her that it may be difficult to do hold down a full time job and model and it's like banging my head off a brick wall. Ah well I can only advise. It's up to her, it's her life.

I miss this place when I can't get online and find myself thinking about everyone on here at the most random moments!

X

Hey,

I've got nothing to add - everything I could suggest has been said. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with going back!!

I agree though that saying you're trying to eat more healthily would be a good way of getting around the fish & chips. After all, they'll start to notice your weightloss!

Hannah

thanks guys.... great advice.

also....just realised the titled had a typo. I DO know how to spell 'dreading' you know!!

x

Hi Determined

Well I'm at home at the moment and trust me its far, far more difficult being here with no distractions, so a busy day at work is a fantastic way to keep your mind off food. Also it is true you may find you have so much more energy doing LT, I know I certainly have.
I absolutely love the " I got food poisoning at a fish restaurant " excuse, I am so going to use that one if I get stuck in the future ;)
Good luck with your journey!!

I work in a school too and was really nervous about what people would say. The first day I tried to have a flapjack at lunchtime so it didn't look so obvious, I think this made it worse as I couldn't eat it! Now everyone knows and I'm surprised at just how supportive everyone is being. I've lost almost 5 stone in 12 weeks and knowing that everyone is behind me gives me an extra boost - I want to surprise them with my weight loss at the start of each week. I don't really care if people don't agree with the diet - it's working for me and I feel absolutley fantastic! x

Back