EE v.tasty Salad with Prawns

Malaguti

Hi all,

Think the below recipe would suit anyone following Extra Easy?

I started making this a few months ago from a Gordon Ramsay recipe I found on the internet. First time I made it I was a bit dubious about the fish sauce/lime juice combination but it really is very tasty and makes a lovely change for a packed lunch as well.

I've had a look in my syns list and due to the two tbsp of brown sugar used this works out at 5 syns in total (by my calculation, feel free to correct me)

I usually put a piece of salmon in the oven as well which gives a lovely contrast between the hot fish and the cold salad. Sounds greedy really, having prawns and salmon but works out quite economical as I usually only cook this when I can get two for £5 deals on both the prawns and salmon :)

Anyway, here goes:

Serves 2-3 (erm, two in our house :))

100gr thin rice noodles

200gr mangetout or sugar snap peas

1 large red pepper

1 large yellow or orange pepper

2 spring onions

200gr peeled cooked prawns (I use the big ones and usually add two packs due to feeding a hungry man so ends up at 400gr) Dressing stretches well though!

1 tbsp toasted black or white sesame seeds (I usually leave these out though due to lack of time lol )

Dressing

1 shallot (or cut a piece off of a normal onion and dice as finely as you can)

2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely crushed

1 small red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped

2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice, or more to taste

2 tbsp fish sauce

1 tbsp light soy sauce (didn't think this was v. different from normal soy sauce but it is, so well worth getting even if only for this dish)

2 tbsp palm or soft brown sugar

Boil the kettle, place rice noodles in a heatproof bowl and pour on boiling water. Cover bowl (or pot etc) and leave to stand until noodles are tender but still have a bite. Drain and set aside.

Blanch the mangetout in boiling water for 2 mins until just tender but still bright green. Drain and rinse under cold water.

Cut the mangetout peppers and spring onions into thin slices (I found the thinner you can get the slices the tastier and easier to eat it is)

For the dressing, put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk lightly to combine.

Put the prawns, spring onions, mangetout and peppers into a large bowls and add the drained noodles and sesame seeds.

Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Eat immediately or chill until ready to serve.

Sounds like a bit of a faff but is really quite easy and quick once you get started. And the results are soooo worth it in my opinion :D

Back