Total Solution Emotional Eaters How Do You Break The Habit

dolly_daydream

Hiya peeps well I thought I would make this thread as there has to be other people out there like me that have spent a life time mastering emotional eating and thought we could help each other.

I used to eat:

• when I was sad, food became a comfort
  • when I felt lonely, food became a companion
  • when I felt un loved, food made me feel loved
  • when I was angry, food became a way to punish others that didn't want me to be over weight
  • when I was stressed, food helped me feel calm
  • when I was happy, food became a way to celebrate.

I so far I haven't been hungry on the diet but have just had my first test with being stressed and then being angry at the same time.....I sat on the sofa with my head telling me to eat, telling me I would feel better if I did but I said to myself I need to do something else and quick....so I got off the sofa and did 50 sit ups and it expelled some of that anger.

So what I would like to do is for all of us to share what we are doing now to deal with these feelings instead of eating.xx

Good for you!! Did you feel better after the 50 sit ups? You should be proud of yourself for not reaching into the cupboard :)

Earlier on today, I snapped at Mr Lauriel, I didn't mean to. I don't know why I was in such a sh*t mood. I wander if it was the come down aftermath of the chocolate cake I had last night (I was out for the evening, there was a massive buffet) ...I just felt crap. Proper crap all day today. I've had a few snacks, nothing major but, none of those snacks were exante products! I feel like a bit of a loser.

Any obstacles I've encountered so far I've overcome by doing excercise and keeping myself busy. I find yoga wonderful for de-stressing. I often take a little walk along the sea front too as I live quite close to a little beach :) ..But, this week I have indulged myself twice, we had dinner on valentine's and dinner last night as we were out.....Even know my tummy is grumbling although Im doing my best to ignore it!!!! :( x

I don't know, I'm still an emotional eater. Found that today :eek:( and I ate a silly silly amount.... When I'm in the zone I'm fine but today I ate and ate and ate :-/ but then it took years to develop bad eating habits so I suppose we need to learn new habits and it won't happen over night. Even if the weight loss does. Good for you, distraction us the key I suppose xxx

Yep much better Laura, I think this will become a wee habit of mine instead, DON'T MUNCH AB CRUNCH :D PSML

And thanks now you mention it I do feel proud of myself, I was feeling very stressed over the children and then the hubby came in and really pissed me off but I actually think now in recollection I over reacted at him because of how upset I was feeling....one child bit the other, the one that should know better! And I really did feel bad but I got thro it without food.....so hahahah 1-0 u....bleep bleep lol!!

I would love to live close to the sea, I adore the water!!xx

I don't know, I'm still an emotional eater. Found that today :eek:( and I ate a silly silly amount.... When I'm in the zone I'm fine but today I ate and ate and ate :-/ but then it took years to develop bad eating habits so I suppose we need to learn new habits and it won't happen over night. Even if the weight loss does. Good for you, distraction us the key I suppose xxx

Ur right u don't break habits of a life time over night but hopefully this thread could help us all share some good ideas so we are armed to fight it!!xx

By the way hun I certainly haven't conquered it either, I only wrote I used to eat when....as I eat when would imply I'm going to do it again and I'll do my damnedest not to....PMA ALL THE WAY!! xx

My danger time is a week before my TOM. I get so hungry and usually eat and eat and eat.. im not looking forward to next week but im focussed and want to lose weight and have the backing of my OH which makes things a bit easier.

Its good when you have the support of your partner, I do too and it helps loads. I had also thought if I have another situation like I did yesterday but in the day time when the kids are up we'll all go out for a nice long walk but......the baby has chicken pox arghhh!!!!xx

Awww bless hope they feel better soon... Fresh air might do baby some good though if they're hot and angry and itchy!

DON'T MUNCH AN CRUNCH! live it. Might get a few funny looks if I did that at work.....

Really identified with your first post, pretty much ate to accompany any emotion! Note I said ate.... Not eat.... It's a habit of the past now .... I hope! Xx

Agreed, habit of the past!!

I still might take a walk but just be careful where I go as shes contagious so wouldnt be far to inflict it on anyone else.xx

Lets stay in touch girls, and keep giving your tips as u come across them xx

This is an excellent thread d_d!

I used to eat as habit I didn't need a particular reason although being annoyed at myself for getting so big and unhappy helped me get to that disgusting point in my life, its almost like I hated myself and thought that I didn't deserve to be happy so id trap myself in that body and the cycle continued, I'd sit down in the evening after reasonable choices in the day then come 7pm after my three little monkeys went to bed I'd eat chocolate bar after chocolate bar, crisps, lots of evil little snacks, rice, anything really and to add to that I'd drink bottles of wine/cider/lager. Its quite shameful really BUT I'm getting past that now.

I still have the occasional blip where I think that I cant get past it but I'm getting there. I think it helps me that I cant eat on this diet. It's taken me since April 2011 to actually get that through my thick skull and to actually have the belief that I CAN do this! I make my decisions, no one else so I am the one responsible for my past, my present and my future.

My tip is to drink plenty of water because when I have had a glass of water it takes the thoughts of food out of my head because I already feel full/satisfied PLUS drinking so much water has helped my skin, its win/win!

Back