Exercise and belly loss!

Maximus

Gold Member
As the weight melts off me (well, you never know) I really need to lose it from my belly - like a lot of lads (optimistic calling myself a lad lol) a beer belly seems to be out of proportion with everyhere else.

I know sit ups would help greatly, but I get coccyx pain with that so wondered if anyone out there have any other methods for reducing paunch? - it can be other fellas, but I'm sure what works for ladies would work too.

At present, I'm walking at least a mile per day on work days and 5 mile plus on weekends, but not exclusively working on the belly.

I feel this will help me greatly.

Any suggestions?

PS I'm following SW 100%

When joined gym was advised Swimming, certain weights, balance ball exercises, ab crunch, side crunch and superman.

The crunches only need the minimal amount of movement to be effective and are nothing like sit ups.

ab crunch

Lie on the floor, knees bent up with feet close to bottom. Place hands on thighs, relax neck. Engage tummy muscles and crunch upwards with your torso. Slide your hands up towards your knees.
Needs v little movement and you can feel it working.

Side Crunch
As ab crunch, adding a twist. Crunch up and take one shoulder towards the opposite knee return to start and repeat on the other side.
Small controlled movements.

Superman

Lie flat on the ground face down. Keep body straight arms to the front. Lift one leg up of the ground a little and the opposite arm at the same time, try and keep torso straight(not rocking side to side). Then relax and do the opposite leg and arm.

Try to do each exercise around 8 times to a set and gradually work the number of sets from 1 to 3.

I'm no expert but the above is working to keep the folds at bay and tone up. And I've had some huge losses.

upping your aerobic exercise so that your heart functions a good % above your resting heart rate for at least 15 -20 minutes 3 -5 times a week is the best way to burn off that fat. If you normally walk lots your body will do that with ease, so either increase the weight it is carrying (heavy back pack would do) or increase the intensisty.

When joined gym was advised Swimming, certain weights, balance ball exercises, ab crunch, side crunch and superman.

The crunches only need the minimal amount of movement to be effective and are nothing like sit ups.

ab crunch

Lie on the floor, knees bent up with feet close to bottom. Place hands on thighs, relax neck. Engage tummy muscles and crunch upwards with your torso. Slide your hands up towards your knees.
Needs v little movement and you can feel it working.

Side Crunch
As ab crunch, adding a twist. Crunch up and take one shoulder towards the opposite knee return to start and repeat on the other side.
Small controlled movements.

Superman

Lie flat on the ground face down. Keep body straight arms to the front. Lift one leg up of the ground a little and the opposite arm at the same time, try and keep torso straight(not rocking side to side). Then relax and do the opposite leg and arm.

Try to do each exercise around 8 times to a set and gradually work the number of sets from 1 to 3.

I'm no expert but the above is working to keep the folds at bay and tone up. And I've had some huge losses.
Actually reminds me of back in the day when it was common-place to roll the floor with the kids. That stops as kids grow and you grow out of it....what a shame. I like the idea of crunches though.

Oh anyone still interested in this one, I rememebered an old one from yesteryear.

Lie flat on your back on the floor, and with straight legs, both together, raise both feet approx 4-6 inches of the floor while keeping legs straight, and hold as long as possible.

Place your hands on the abdomen area and feel the tension/tightening.

problem with belly fat is that it is in 2 areas. On the outside of the abdominal muscles under your belly skin and also under the abdominal muscles around the intestines. So quite a lot to loose - suppose it is no wonder that it is one of the last areas to clear. :(

Positive thinking is a nice start ;) I used to do crunches on a vibroplate and it tightened up my stomach surprisingly well and I was quite a cynic thinking it was just gimmicky. If you have one at your local gym definitely try it as you only need to hold the crunch and the plate does the rest x

Last edited:
Positive thinking is a nice start ;) I used to do crunches on a vibroplate and it tightened up my stomach surprisingly well and I was quite a cynic thinking it was just gimmicky. If you have one at your local gym definitely try it as you only need to hold the crunch and the plate does the rest x

we have two of those at our gym but I very rarely see anybody using them - I walked past them the other day and a lady was on her knees on the floor with both arms from the elbows to her wrists on the machine - looked v odd!:)

I have a similar problem due to cracking my coccyx as a child when I fell when I was wearing my roller blades (ouch - still remember how much it hurt at the time).
I've found that if I put a pillow under my bum and lower back when I do sit ups it doesnt hurt. It must be because without the pillow you are putting pressure on it against a hard surface. Give it a go and let me know if it helps you as well.

after using my cardio hoop for a minimum of 20 mins per day ( i usually do an hour) that in only 1 week my waist has trimmed down and i can feel the difference :)

we have two of those at our gym but I very rarely see anybody using them - I walked past them the other day and a lady was on her knees on the floor with both arms from the elbows to her wrists on the machine - looked v odd!:)

10 mins 3 times a week really made all the difference to me. What can be off putting is the vibrations themselves as sometimes it feels like your brain is shaking about :) but you should try it, I can honestly say in addition to exercise it really works! x

10 mins 3 times a week really made all the difference to me. What can be off putting is the vibrations themselves as sometimes it feels like your brain is shaking about :) but you should try it, I can honestly say in addition to exercise it really works! x

how do they work?:confused:

Back