Facial hair removal

Lith

My facial hair is starting to get really quite bad...I've been shaving twice a week for at least a year (and maybe once a week or once a month for the previous couple of years) and usually I use a cheap little disposable razor and warm water and it does the trick absoloutely fine, no problems.

However (and there is always a however!)

For some reason that my doctor and I am perplexed by, my body hair in general and facial hair in particular is getting worse...darker, more coarse...so I now need to shave my face more regularly. I let it grow out for a week to see how bad it really is and it's long, dark, irritating to my facial skin, and very much like my husband after a few days of not shaving (his beard is very thick and luxuriant and fast growing!)

I've tried facial hair removal creams to no avail (the only thing they did was burn my skin, the hair was still there!) and it really covers such a large area of my face that waxing isn't a particularly wholesome idea, to be honest. My gp asked if I'd tried bleaching but to be honest, it grows so long that it itches me, so it's not an ideal solution!

I am getting to the point

Shaving more regularly has meant that I'm beginning to suffer with razor rash from my usual method. It works a treat with my husbands shave gel but just because I don't want to look like him doesn't mean I want to smell like him either ^_^ do you think leg shaving gel (Gillette venus, ad its ilk) will be safe for use on the face? Does anyone have any other ideas for facial hair removal?

Cheers!

Lith
xxx

Have you considered electrolysis or laser hair removal?
They are more permanent hair removal ways and could be your answer.

Lith- I am a Asian girl and I understand your problem oh so well. I know how it feels and how self conscious one can become. I have tried waxing, bleaching, threading, shaving ( I know it's a taboo for women to shave face but its actually the norm in china it's just like dermaplanning) and I have had IPL and electrolysis. I have spent thousands.

IPL - they shave your hair off the target area and blitz you with the laser. - Trust me waste of money - not just my own view- I come from a massive family with over 100s of ladies with the same problem. During treatment one thinks it's working, obviously because the shaved and then lasered between treatments you see hair come back patchy so you think is working but once treatment has finished after a month normal hair growth resumes & then you are told to have 'top ups' and TRUST me 'tops up' are life long, so it's super expensive. I have friends who are wealthy enough to continue treatment - lucky them but I can't afford to spend that much and during treatments usually 1 a month you are not allowed to remove the hair so it's embarrassing still. - I have met women who say it works it works but when I ask them have you stopped treatment I get the answer 'no' I'm having top ups! Vicious cycle.

So after having IPL for 3 years my facial hair is still the same. Once I discontinued IPL I was at a dead end - so I shaved my face, it's actually very common. And I've been shaving for almost a year. My skin flares up sometimes only if I run over same area. I use disposable shavers and I use the dermplanning blades - be careful they are sharp! Steam your face before shaving (hot shower will do) and exfoliate regularly and God willing you will have it under control. I thread in between shaving so I'm not too harsh on my skin - do you know how to thread? I suggest you learn it's very easy and not as painful as people think.

However if you feel IPL will work for you by all means go to a clinic I went to Harvey medical a well known clinic and still it didn't work for me. So do your research I wish someone told me this before though because I could have saved a hell of a lot of money!

Sorry for my essay!

Blue Butterfly - I've been considering laser hair removal or electrolysis...however my Grandmother has had both and it's never worked for her so I've been reluctant...I've also been reluctant because I always believed that, being a symptom of my PCOS, there is a chance that perhaps if I get the weight issue under control the hair will lessen in severity, so I'd rather not splash out on such treatment just yet!

Mashed Banana - Wow, thanks for the tips! I don't mind essays at all! I hadn't realised it was so common for women to shave their faces in China. However, I have to admit, I've never heard of dermplanning blades...what are those?

Willywoo - Yes you are certainly you, and yes you are certainly random and crazy :p

Dermaplanning is removing dead skin off the face. It's done by experts so if you was to try this at home be very careful! Yes in china- many ladies do and it helps make up go on smoother. I use tinkle eyebrow razor which can be used on face and neck you can buy them from www.pakcosmetics.com remember to exfoliate regularly to avoid in grown hairs and have shave free days and invest in a good moisturiser. :) x

Btw I'm not Chinese - I'm a British Asian aka Brasian! I have family in china and visit a lot :) and its a myth that hair comes back coarser after shaving! If you want to ask me anything else feel free to do so xxx

hi :)

I just have to say I had the exact same problem. For about 10 years I had issues how to thread, bleach wax my thick facial haiors away. i was sooooo depressed for a long time.
But then I just decided to get hair laser removal. It was the best thing I ever did.
Id say find a trusthworthy place in your area and go for it. trust me you wont regret it.

Hi guys,

I had laser hair removal in 2010 through a chain called skin. Igot 25% off as I was a PCOS sufferer. Need a letter from my dr. Ihad4 treatments at 80 pounds each and I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. I was shaving daily and it looked like I had stubble, it was awful. But this treatment was amazi g and changed my life. Feel free to message me if you would like any further info. Xxx

MashedBanana said:
Lith- I am a Asian girl and I understand your problem oh so well. I know how it feels and how self conscious one can become. I have tried waxing, bleaching, threading, shaving ( I know it's a taboo for women to shave face but its actually the norm in china it's just like dermaplanning) and I have had IPL and electrolysis. I have spent thousands.

IPL - they shave your hair off the target area and blitz you with the laser. - Trust me waste of money - not just my own view- I come from a massive family with over 100s of ladies with the same problem. During treatment one thinks it's working, obviously because the shaved and then lasered between treatments you see hair come back patchy so you think is working but once treatment has finished after a month normal hair growth resumes & then you are told to have 'top ups' and TRUST me 'tops up' are life long, so it's super expensive. I have friends who are wealthy enough to continue treatment - lucky them but I can't afford to spend that much and during treatments usually 1 a month you are not allowed to remove the hair so it's embarrassing still. - I have met women who say it works it works but when I ask them have you stopped treatment I get the answer 'no' I'm having top ups! Vicious cycle.

So after having IPL for 3 years my facial hair is still the same. Once I discontinued IPL I was at a dead end - so I shaved my face, it's actually very common. And I've been shaving for almost a year. My skin flares up sometimes only if I run over same area. I use disposable shavers and I use the dermplanning blades - be careful they are sharp! Steam your face before shaving (hot shower will do) and exfoliate regularly and God willing you will have it under control. I thread in between shaving so I'm not too harsh on my skin - do you know how to thread? I suggest you learn it's very easy and not as painful as people think.

However if you feel IPL will work for you by all means go to a clinic I went to Harvey medical a well known clinic and still it didn't work for me. So do your research I wish someone told me this before though because I could have saved a hell of a lot of money!

Sorry for my essay!

Hi

I'm Asian.. Pakistani to be precise and had awful facial hair up until 2006..I suffered from horrible acne because I used to epilate my face and it was torture..
IPL was the best thing that i ever did and would recommend it to anyone. I'm fair and had thick dark hair so I guess I had the perfect combination for the treatment to work..
I saw results from the first treatment :) I still go once every 6 months for a booster but don't fear being in direct sunlight.. Hugging people... People coming close to me. It literally saved me from insanity.

I'd suggest to the original poster to seek advise from all avenues and then make ur decision.

P.s- if u do have pcos the clinic will definitely say that they can only guarantee reduction of the hair not termination of it completely... They did in my case... But I think they say that with anyone now!

hey guys,

recently had pcos diagnosed but based on this my gp had applied for private funding from nhs for laser hair removal. It has been approved on the basis i have pcos and the hair is quiet severe.

its worth a try, ive had my first teatment and it seems to be working.

Your GP sounds great. I mentioned it to mine years ago and he refused to do anything / prescribe anything / even acknowledge the problem.

Hi guys,

I had laser hair removal in 2010 through a chain called skin. Igot 25% off as I was a PCOS sufferer. Need a letter from my dr. Ihad4 treatments at 80 pounds each and I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. I was shaving daily and it looked like I had stubble, it was awful. But this treatment was amazi g and changed my life. Feel free to message me if you would like any further info. Xxx

Wow that sounds great. I've always worried about cost but that sounds affordable. Was 4 treatments enough?

I'm asian and have medium coloured skin with really dark thick hairs :jelous: at the moment I either get it waxed about every 2/3 weeks (but you can see the hairs as they are growing) or thread it myself. Like someone mentioned before, it's actually really easy to learn.

I've heard a lot of people say that any sort of laser hair removal most likely won't work if you have PCOS, because it's more of a hormonal thing than just happening to have facial hair.

I know how frustrating it is. I have to shave every day, sometimes twice if I want to go out at night. Creams and waxing really irritate my skin, and there's just too much hair to tweeze it all.

Invest in a good razor (like a Mach3 or splurge and buy a safety razor), shaving soap, and brush, if you want to keep shaving. That should really help reduce any razor burn you might get.

I feel so lucky that I don't suffer with hair.
I have most other symptoms, but after reading this thread I feel very lucky.
I think the NHS should fund hair removal for you ladies, if your having to shave with mac razors I don't think that's cosmetic. I don't understand doctors sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've had PCOS for years and suffered silently with the facial hair for many of them. Last year I was fed up with shaving daily - yes daily and I'd still have shadow later in the day! I did some research after previous unsuccessful electrolysis and ipl and found a wonderful clinic that uses the soprano xl laser. I bought a 6 treatment course - buy one area get one free for£300 and can honestly say its the best money I've ever spent.
I know I will have to have maintenance treatments but currently I have months almost hair free and the hair I do have is much much finer so does not show as much.

Last treatment was in Beginning of January and I think I might need to go back in a month or so . There are so many added benefits in that I feel less self conscious ,I don't dash to the bathroom in a panic to shave when I'm not at home. My skin is now softer and I can deal with people looking at me without wondering if they've noticed my 5o'clock shadow.

julesgr said:
I've had PCOS for years and suffered silently with the facial hair for many of them. Last year I was fed up with shaving daily - yes daily and I'd still have shadow later in the day! I did some research after previous unsuccessful electrolysis and ipl and found a wonderful clinic that uses the soprano xl laser. I bought a 6 treatment course - buy one area get one free for£300 and can honestly say its the best money I've ever spent.
I know I will have to have maintenance treatments but currently I have months almost hair free and the hair I do have is much much finer so does not show as much.

Last treatment was in Beginning of January and I think I might need to go back in a month or so . There are so many added benefits in that I feel less self conscious ,I don't dash to the bathroom in a panic to shave when I'm not at home. My skin is now softer and I can deal with people looking at me without wondering if they've noticed my 5o'clock shadow.

That sounds great. Do you have a website for this clinic?

The one I went to was the Welwyn aesthetic clinic but I know there are others that offer similar

I was also really relieved at first when I had laser treatment on my face - had been carrying tweezers with me everywhere I went til then, and always had a spotty face from where I couldn't leave my face alone..... went to a company called skin and spent thousands which took me a year to pay off.. lasted for a few months and I was pleased, but then the hairs came back.. went for a course of 4 'top ups' and had the last one a few months back. It's all coming back on my face now, and there's no way I can spend that kind of money again.. and this time the hairs are coming back looking less natural.. so I've just bought an ipl machine from boots.. my OH has been using it on me! seems to be working well.. my skin feels a little itchy afterwards, but looks great :) doesn't last as long, but for £350 for several months worth of use instead of that price for one or two sessions, I figure it has to be worth it.. I'm hoping.. I've only been using it for a few weeks so far...

Argh PCOS is the pits!!!!!!!

There's actually lots and lots of laser clinics around the country that offer you a discount if you have PCOS including SK:N which are all over...

For me, the few times I've had laser on my chin it was so amazing that after the FIRST session it was all almost gone - but I am very very pale with very dark hair so the ideal type for laser. Unfortunately true lasers don't work on ladies with darker skin, because the laser light works on pigmentation, so dark pigments (the hair follicle) attract the light and white pigments reflect it. If the skin and hair are dark the laser travels to all of it (rather than just the follicle) and can permanently damage the skin.

There are some machines that can treat darker skin types but research first as many places may tell you they can, but actually can't!!

Sorry for the long info... Just wanted to help explain to the earlier poster (sorry! I'm on my phone and can't see your username now) why her IPL might not have worked.

Also because we are sooooo blessed to have PCOS (ahem), any hair removal is unlikely to be permanent because it's all dictated by our pesky hormones being imbalanced.... which is also why it can (not a given) improve a lot when you lose weight cause the hormones are more regulated, less likely to be insulin resistant and then less likely to produce excess testosterone which is what causes our excess hair.

Also, laser people can't claim it's permanent removal for non PCOS ladies either because it hasn't been around long enough to prove that claim (only electrolysis can say that)...

It's really hard to get NHS funding for laser which is entirely UNFAIRRR!!! As if it can be classed as a cosmetic issue to be able to grow a beard?! It really pisses me off no end when you hear stories of girls with small breasts getting enlargements because it affects their self esteem and transsexuals getting funded laser and we can't have six courses of laser on our facial hair which affects our self esteem and quality of life - particularly when it's added on top of infertility.. Acne.. Hair loss... Weight problems, it just bloody sucks!... I should clarify that, I don't resent them getting treatment in the slightest, its their right... But it's ours too.. Anyway, off the soapbox now!!

Just a last little thing.. If laser, shaving etc isn't for you then it might be worth looking at a prescription cream called Vaniqa.. It stops your hair from growing, but the catch is you have to use it twice a day for as long as you want it to stay gone.. As soon as you stop it could come back. Personally I tried it, but I kept forgetting to use it as its meant so it didn't work for me.. But I know it's quite popular on darker skin types or good option if you can't afford laser and have more discipline than me!!

Sorry for such a long post...

I am amazed that so many many people have found succes with lasers.I paid hundreds of ££££ to have electrolysis and it was a total waste of time.I discussed with my g/p and she said it would always return no matter what treatments I tried.She said her Asian patients that had started shaving from a young age had done more harm than good,as they end up with full grown beards.Her advice- which I follow is to use a face only delapitory cream for sensitive skin.Nair make one .It is well cheaper than lasers and once a week is enough.As i get older I get hair on my forehead which I use tweezers on.It's the weight gain that depresses me the most.( although I may wake up as an oragutan one day if this hair growth keeps up!!LOL)

Back