Fat Experiences

Samprand

WILL do it!
Just wondering what your worst experience of being big was?

Mine was noticing my work uniform had started to get a little tight but I didnt think it was too bad or noticable until a member of staff asked if I was pregnant!

*CRINGE!!!!* :eek:

I just said 'no' and she was like 'oh'... awkward silence. Then I asked why she thought I was and she just said 'no reason'. OMG so embarassing!

Mine was practically the same, I was a while ago (when I was thinner than I am now), it was at work and this lad asked me if I was pregnant. And I was like "Oh thanks".

Mine was just this week :(

I am a childminder and was doing a nursery drop off this lunch time and walked through the playground to a parent shouting 3 times at me to "hide the gut fatty" It could only have been directed at me as the playground was empty apart from us. I had 2 young children with me and was mortified but pleased my own children didn't have to hear it :( The children I had with me were oblivious to what was said as well so it could have been worse.

My confidence is at an all time low and people are telling me I shouldn't let it get to me and I know they are right bjust hard to put it in to practice.

@halcyon : why do people feel the need to ask? i never would just in case the person wasnt pregnant and i end up looking rude : /

@ScottishBride : thats shocking! cant believe anyone would say that let alone in front of children. did u tell anyone or report is to staff? im not sure what they could do but im sure those kind of comments arent appreciated and would make the nursery have a horrible atmosphere. its like bullying amongst adults - pathetic. makes me angry grrrrrrrrr

The parents of the two children I had with me the eldest I was dropping off at nursery have a meeting with the head teacher on Tuesday afternoon.

We shall see what happens I just hope it doesn't make a crappy situation any worse IYSWIM.

Scottish Bride, that's just awful. What's wrong with people?!

what a horrible thing to say in front of children - no wonder some children grow up to have the same attitude and no respect for people! I hope the headteacher has a word and gets this sorted

o thats awful!

my bro told me that some one had seen me and said i no shes pregnant but she takin the p!ss a bit. meaning how much weight i put on. i gained 4 stone !! and that was after he was born i was still 4 stone heavier!! i suppose i did take the mic a bit with my eating and no exercise for 9 month. lesson learnt the very hard way i suppose!

an old school friend see's me (before weight loss)
friend: wow, youve put on loads of weight since school! podgyyyyyy

given that in high school i was underweight, i was under 8 stone, usually around 7st 10 - 7 st 12. and when she said this i was 9st 3!

Mine was just this week :(

I am a childminder and was doing a nursery drop off this lunch time and walked through the playground to a parent shouting 3 times at me to "hide the gut fatty" It could only have been directed at me as the playground was empty apart from us. I had 2 young children with me and was mortified but pleased my own children didn't have to hear it :( The children I had with me were oblivious to what was said as well so it could have been worse.

My confidence is at an all time low and people are telling me I shouldn't let it get to me and I know they are right bjust hard to put it in to practice.

oh my god! thats awful!

Some people are so nasty! There is no need to say these things out loud. I've never really been that much overweight, my biggest was when I moved 230 miles away from home to live with my bf and was jobless I went up to 11.4 and could see my belly bulging out! It was horrible. I joined rosemary conelly and lost around half a stone then went to slimming world to lose a stone. I'm now going back to slimming world to reach my target :) x

every day by my friends.

im probably not 'fat' in most people's eyes, but my friends have known me when i was very skinny, and i look big compared how i was before, and they tease me about it non stop. i dont mind at all really, infact i join in with them. also my younger siblings tease me as well.

its quite interesting how i have some friends who are much larger than me, and are visibly overweight, no banter about weight is ever directed at them, but me, someone whos just a bit overweight gets the full treatment.

What gives someone the right to verbally abuse people, and what is more shocking is that it was an adult.
Do people not have any respect for others.
Lets hope the head takes this person and explains how to conduct themselves in public.
People are so cruel, but just think scottish, you will have the last laugh when you walk in that school at target weight and look that sad person in the eye knowing your so much better than them.

My Most embarrassing thing was going for a hospital appointment, and this dear old lady was sat in the chair opposite, as i sat down, she asked if i would like the bigger chair as i was pregnant.
1 i wasn`t pregnant.
I wanted the ground to swallow me up, bless her though she was such a sweet old lady.

For me there's no one particular experience that stands out. What I am sick of is being "the fat guy", or being called "big lad".

The constant jibes from the guys at work, even though I know it's just banter and no-one (I hope) means anything genuinely nasty, also really get to me. I still put on my "I don't care face" though, as its easier to pretend that it doesn't get to me.

Mine was about a year ago, my Mum (who is a size 10!- cow!!) and I were working together in a residential home and we were helping this sweet (or not so) old lady into bed. After doing this she said 'one fat one, one thin one' I just laughed and said oh well thanks very much but inside I just wanted to burst into tears! More upsetting than embarressing I suppose especially a I was being compared to my Mum! The 'are you pregnant again' one hasn't happened to me yet although I am sure people have thought it! I do think it sometimes about people but would never dream of saying it! Unless the lady was very slim to begin with and had an obvious bump! :)

Jawa79 I dont think people realise how hurtful their banter can be. Do u find that someone may make a particular comment that really sticks with u?

14stoneto9stone please I'd never ask if someone was pregnant either lol too risky! I work in a residential home with people who have dementia, alzheimers etc so sometimes their comments are, lets say, uninhibited - I've been asked (on more than one occassion):

"Are you pregnant?"
"When's the baby due?"
"You look pregnant - I never noticed before."
"How heavy are you exactly?" Although when I answered this, the lady said she doesnt think I look as heavy as I am. Thats kind of half a compliment right? lol

And, my personal favourite :

"Are you still putting on weight Sam?"

ah the joys!

do you know what guys? if people thought we were pregnant because we are fat. IT IS OKAY BECAUSE WE ARE WOMEN AND ITS NOT STRANGE or out of place if a woman is pregnant but unfortunately it is worse for men because a man would just be seen as fat!av been asked that and i simply said no and at other times i say yes. that SHOULD NOT bother us women but think of being offered 2 seat belts on a plane or when you are sat on a bus and your buts cover the 2 seats. the plane one has happened to me! on a bus i was eating crisps and a rather elderly man said i should not be eating that considering my size. i was so embarrases because he said it loudly. the chic of him!!

omg! some people are just so rude

Jawa79 I dont think people realise how hurtful their banter can be. Do u find that someone may make a particular comment that really sticks with u?

There's nothing that really sticks out, it's more the frequency of comments (ie daily!).

Back