Fat gene mystery unravelled by scientists

Discussion in 'News' started by Jim, 23 February 2009 Social URL.

1. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    LINK TO ARTICLE

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. IslandBreeze

IslandBreeze Castaway

Interesting. My OH eats loads - double helpings and always finishes up my leftovers - and is never ever overweight. And he doesn't exercise. Maybe this is why.

4. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    My wife is the same IB, well she doesn't eat loads, but she is the same weight as when we married, just distributed slightly differently. ;)

5. IslandBreeze

IslandBreeze Castaway

My hubby eats tons - friends always comment on it when we eat out. Being a bit paranoid about my weight and what people think, I'm sure they think he eats tons out because I steal all his food at home. But he eats more than me at home too and is skinny. I've always thought it seemed unhealthy but maybe he just has this gene.

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I've written a fair amount on here recently about the hormones Leptin, insulin and people's resistance with both of these, but I haven't had a chance to look much into the FTO gene.

Leptin levels and resistance are the cause of people being driven to eat more than they need. It's mainly genetic but can be made worse by dieting :(

I've been looking into these hormones for the last couple of years, and it's very interesting. If you want to know more, do a search of me :D and leptin. Think the two main conversations have been on the LL forum and the CD forum.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.