Fat gene mystery unravelled by scientists

Jim

Big Boy
he mystery of how some people can eat and never put on weight while others struggle to shed a single ounce may have finally been solved by scientists.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Interesting. My OH eats loads - double helpings and always finishes up my leftovers - and is never ever overweight. And he doesn't exercise. Maybe this is why.

My wife is the same IB, well she doesn't eat loads, but she is the same weight as when we married, just distributed slightly differently. ;)

My hubby eats tons - friends always comment on it when we eat out. Being a bit paranoid about my weight and what people think, I'm sure they think he eats tons out because I steal all his food at home. But he eats more than me at home too and is skinny. I've always thought it seemed unhealthy but maybe he just has this gene.

I've written a fair amount on here recently about the hormones Leptin, insulin and people's resistance with both of these, but I haven't had a chance to look much into the FTO gene.

Leptin levels and resistance are the cause of people being driven to eat more than they need. It's mainly genetic but can be made worse by dieting :(

I've been looking into these hormones for the last couple of years, and it's very interesting. If you want to know more, do a search of me :D and leptin. Think the two main conversations have been on the LL forum and the CD forum.

Back