Favourite soup recipes?

the mediterranean roast veg soup in the SW free food cook book is easy and absolutely delish- my mum and I have just polished off a HUGE pan full in two days!!

This soup is fabulous. I think the lemon juice makes it. It's so hearty. Big hit in our house :D

alfblogxmas066.jpg

Smoky Lentil and Bacon Broth based on a recipe from this thread. I made the soup with large pieces of veg and meat and cooked in ham stock.

So cheap to make and will last for several meals for four of us.

Looks georgous

Leek & Potato Soup...

2 Leeks
500g Potatoes
1 Onion
900ml Chicken Stock (made with Knorr stock cubes)
3 Cloves Garlic
Salt & Pepper to Season.

The easiest way to make this yummy soup is slice the leeks, onion and cube the potatoes and peel the garlic and leave whole. Add the a large pan with 900ml chicken stock, season with salt & pepper, bring to the boil, simmer for 30 mins.

I always blend this soup as the potato makes it very thick & creamy ;)

I do exactly the same recipe as this. Got it off the internet, its my fave by far! And very filling too! :)

I have always got homemade soup on the ready it lasts about 2-3 days for OH & myself although I do a variety of different soups on the whole I try to keep them SF them a bowl for lunch and before dinner fills you up and therefore makes portion control easy. Lol
X

As a child, and now into my forties, I have always loved soup for breakfast...I have it about 3 times a week now!This is my fave, light soup.
Sweetcorn chowder........I get approx. two cupfuls of frozen sweetcorn and cook in water for 5 mins. Drain off most of water and add about 100ml milk from H.extra allowance. Add 1 tsp dried veg stock, 1tbsp ground almonds (which I take as a nut h.extra) and blend the lot so it's still a little lumpy. Season with smoked paprika and pepper, and serve. You can omit the almonds but make sure you reduce the liquid-it should be a thick soup. Lovely served with a triangle of irish soda bread!

wortmistress said:
As a child, and now into my forties, I have always loved soup for breakfast...I have it about 3 times a week now!This is my fave, light soup.
Sweetcorn chowder........I get approx. two cupfuls of frozen sweetcorn and cook in water for 5 mins. Drain off most of water and add about 100ml milk from H.extra allowance. Add 1 tsp dried veg stock, 1tbsp ground almonds (which I take as a nut h.extra) and blend the lot so it's still a little lumpy. Season with smoked paprika and pepper, and serve. You can omit the almonds but make sure you reduce the liquid-it should be a thick soup. Lovely served with a triangle of irish soda bread!

I make a syn and HE free version

Fry onion, and bacon in frylight until cooked but onion not coloured, add cubed floury type potato like king Edward Maris piper or just a baking potato, add paprika (don't skimp it won't add heat), cover in chicken or veg stock and add a bayleaf, simmer until potatoes are soft and breaking up, add a tin of creamed corn (or normal sweetcorn you can blitz it a bit if you wish), and simmer until warmed through check for seasoning and serve.

A variation is to omit the bacon and add green pepper instead as the slight bitterness of the green pepper counteracts the sweetness of the corn beautifully!
For a smoother soup you can blend half but its best left with some bite.

I make a syn and HE free version

Fry onion, and bacon in frylight until cooked but onion not coloured, add cubed floury type potato like king Edward Maris piper or just a baking potato, add paprika (don't skimp it won't add heat), cover in chicken or veg stock and add a bayleaf, simmer until potatoes are soft and breaking up, add a tin of creamed corn (or normal sweetcorn you can blitz it a bit if you wish), and simmer until warmed through check for seasoning and serve.

A variation is to omit the bacon and add green pepper instead as the slight bitterness of the green pepper counteracts the sweetness of the corn beautifully!
For a smoother soup you can blend half but its best left with some bite.

I've tried something similar with potato..I find that I rarely need to use flour based thickeners anymore,simply instant mash! Also, as a veggie, I find that the ground almond adds protein to my breakfast(recommended) and adds a little more natural sweetness. Can't say that I prefer one over the other but it's nice to not use the nuts and have my bread with it instead..yummo:D

Homemade v tinned

I see the tinned soup as Healthy Extras and I have never even tried that. Why should I?! Homemade soup is so much more healthier, tastier and often just as quick to make....don't forget it's cheap too..it's the ultimate convenience food and you can literally make it out of anything. Last night, I had a homemade syn free chickpea and veg curry- the left overs, with a little creamed coconut, fresh coriander and soya milk will stretch it out for 2 bowls of lovely soup.

dose anybody have a recipe for cauliflower soup? x

I do the Extra easy,green plan so the syns etc. are for that plan. Making one up off the top of my head,1 head cauli,2 potatoes, 1 oz of strong cheese, salt and pepper, 1 cube veg stock and water to desire. Boil cauli and potato,remove from heat, blend, add stock made up with a little water, add cheese and enough water to get desired thickness, re-heat gently and serve. Cheese use from healthy extra, the rest should be free. Suspect a little smoked paprika would be yummy(my fave spice), perhaps tarragon. A dash or two or milk might improve it too. Experiment!;)

I love the curry vegetable soup!!

Going to try some of these great ideas!

X

Okay so this is probably a stupid question but I am desperate to get some soups on the go however have never made homemade soups and looking at the quantities of ingredients think I'm going to need a bigger pan. Has anyone got any recommendations at good value? Also flasks for work?
Also I only have a hand blender would this do the job? x

By this I mean size wise? Most I have found have been either 20cm or 26 cm?

Asda do some really cheap pans, and the hand blender I have I use about 3 times a week as I love my soups really smooth, the merest hint of a lump and I gag! And the beauty I find with the hand blender as opposed to food processor type is that its so easy to wash, just a quick swish in water and job done! :)

Ah marvellous thanks for that, Just need to make sure I don't cover my walls with soup now! :p

Yes that is the thing. Cover all your walls, your floors, and wear a really old "onsie!. Then you should be sorted, oh and a pair of large goggles just to be on the safe side ha ha :)

haha! Do you know what size your pan is? Woudl you say its a 26MM? x

Oh dont know just quite large. Making tom soup now, just get the largest pan you can, what holds a lot holds a little. You can always freeze stuff after batch cooking if the pan is large. Good luck with the zapping, just about to climb into my "protective gear" to blitz this soup. Smells yummy, quick and easy and loads of chilli. Can be made in 10 mins bish bash bosh!

Back