Flexisynning

Unexplained gains happen to all of us!!! They are a bit of a knock when they happen but its half a pound, not half a stone, or half your body weight.

Dont doubt yourself off the back of one miserly tiny gain. It equates to a bit of a poo, or half a pint or so of liquid. It will be gone and more besides it next week. *hugs*

Last edited:
I do have to agree, it is so easy to lose the correct mindset.
We went to center parks last week, and I was worried about what food I was going to eart. After visiting the restaurants I realised it was impossible to stay 'on plan' for the week and chose what I wanted.
I had fish and chips on the first night and removed the batter, then the next night I had a burger and added mayonnaise! The third night we ordered pizza with a side of onion rings!!! and my the forth night we had a curry with all the trimmings. So with each successive day of not following the rules, I got worse and worse with my control and decision making.
Once we left, it was so so hard to get back into the plan. Blow outs can be really really dangerous and if you can just say, oh hell I'll flexisyn it, it becomes too easy to make yourself feel better.

Thank you, MLM. I'm so new that I haven't even tried to figure out flexisyns yet and now your clear explanation means I don't have to. Much appreciated.

Thanks for a really useful, informative thread - helps to keep your mindset in the right place!

I can see both sides of this Argument. Yes, MLM is totally and 100% correct- and that is my own opinion of flexi-syns.
However for those who have an unplanned night off, calling it a flexi syn day might be the difference between staying on the wagon, or falling off!
Personally, an unplanned binge is exactly that- I had a bit of a binge yesterday and accept that. I can get back on plan today. But for some people, this sort of binge could be a potential downfall for their whole journey. If calling it a flexi syn day helps them move on, great. I wouldn't advise it as it can lead to more days where you can make the same excuse- and it isn't part of slimming world, we can't pretend otherwise.
But like everything with slimming world, and the message it promotes, is that it is a normal, healthy, flexible plan, that means we can eat good food without guilt or deprivation. The plan is so broad in terms of choice, and that's the key- everyone has their own preference- red, green, EE...it all works differently for different people.
And As long as calling something unplanned a flexi syn day works for that person, and doesn't lead to problems in the future, then fine. It doesn't work for me, but it might for some. But when using this becomes and excuse for weekly days off plan, people will have to start looking more seriously at their eating habits.

Rant over :)

I think the problem is Claire, while I completely agree with what you are saying, that some people come here for advice and to learn more about the Slimming World plan.

FAR too many people say "Hey, just flexisyn it" when it comes to an unplanned binge, when what they should be saying is "Good for you for admitting you had a blow out, draw a line under it and move on".

Flexisynning is very specific in its aims and intentions. It is specifically to help you keep control in circumstances where you know you are going to go over your syns. By using it as an excuse, we defeat its purpose and change its definition and as you rightly said, its NOT part of the plan.

People can pretend its part of the plan, it might make them feel better by all means, but when people come here looking to understand the plan better, its giving them very mixed messages and I really dont think thats something we should be encouraging and it drives me mad when I see people doing that. Take control of your eating habits, thats what this plan is ALL about. The ability to be flexible, but still in control of yourself.

I agree that officially flexi-synning is a way of planning ahead and keeping some control of a situation so using it in hindsight isn't actually on plan.
Slimming world is a way of life not a diet that in life very few people would plan their diet/drinks etc and stick to the amount 100% all of the time or at a social event etc.
Ok so some of these people don't need to worry about what they eat at all and some of these people would end up getting overweight but others would maintain a balance by having times like that and then eating healthily the majority of the time.
Felxi-synning is a great tool to use to plan for an event but if things don't go to plan then or other times I think yeah its about drawing a line under it and getting that balance without needing an excuse or beating ourselves up because we are only human after all :)
Ramble over :p

I actually find i am better off just being off plan rather than flexisynning. At least by recognising & accepting i have been off plan i am fully prepared if i get on the scales & gain. In fact, when i have a big event where i know its impossible to stay on plan i mentally accept it beforehand. I don't then stress over how many syns there are in something, i have a good time & i also up my superfree for the rest of the week to try & minimise the gain. I always go back on plan the next day.

I guess its all about control - recognising & accepting that sometimes you can't or won't want to be able to control everything, & accepting the consequences of that.

I agree

Just be open and honest with oneself. Flexisynning is such a mis-nomer the way it is used most of the time. In fairness to everyone, until SW can universally decide what it REALLY is, I think Kingleds is right.

Just have a day off plan and be done with it.

At the end of the week if you gain, lose or even stay the same it will happen whether you write down "day off plan" or "flexi-synned"

I'm a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 a day type anyway - so if I have 30 between Monday and Saturday, it leaves me 5-15 on Sunday.

I'm not in the slightest bit biased;)

It is also true to say me doing it that way affects nobody else and other people doing it their way doesn't affect me.:)

And we all lived happily ever after....hurrah!

downsizingmycurves said:
I agree. When we flexi syn we use extra syns, when we go overboard we use extra syns. Yes one is carefully plotted and planned and the other random but the result in terms of intake can be the same and so if it helps a member to think of an off day as flexi synning, then I dont think that is a problem even if it is technically incorrect.

SW to me is about finding a plan to suit your life based on sound prinicples. Yes of course its better to stay on plan by planning but I think a little retrospective blending of the flexi syn system is fine if it helps someone stay on track and not feel bad about themselves.

I agree with you ;) I can't be doing with strict regimes! That's why I joined slimming world, it's not as bossy as other plans because it's more of a lifestyle choice. I don't think it would matter to me personally if I 'flexisyned' or not I've still gone off plan haven't I lol it's just using a cute buzz word to make people feel better, truth is there are going to be times in life when you will over do it as all people do. Thanks for your alternative view point here :)

JanuaryGirl said:
I agree with you ;) I can't be doing with strict regimes! That's why I joined slimming world, it's not as bossy as other plans because it's more of a lifestyle choice. I don't think it would matter to me personally if I 'flexisyned' or not I've still gone off plan haven't I lol it's just using a cute buzz word to make people feel better, truth is there are going to be times in life when you will over do it as all people do. Thanks for your alternative view point here :)

I don't think it's so much a 'buzz word' as a way of staying in control! If you know you are allowing yourself 100syns on a Saturday, then its keeping in control of what you were eating! If however you have a blow out you wouldn't even count syns and end up having lots

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Welshtigger said:
I don't think it's so much a 'buzz word' as a way of staying in control! If you know you are allowing yourself 100syns on a Saturday, then its keeping in control of what you were eating! If however you have a blow out you wouldn't even count syns and end up having lots

To me 100 syns would be a massive blow out but thats because the diet is different for everyone, that's why it works so well I think :)

JanuaryGirl said:
To me 100 syns would be a massive blow out but thats because the diet is different for everyone, that's why it works so well I think :)

It was a hypothetical figure just to give an example that's all :)

Very often on the forums I see someone respond to someone who has had a blow out with something like the following...

"Ah, never mind, just flexisyn it and move on".

Now, I understand that this is supposed to make the person feel better about their binge and draw a line under it, but simply, this is NOT how Flexisynning is supposed to be used.

Flexisyns are supposed to be a way of keeping you in control of your consumption at special occasions.

They are NOT designed to be an used as an excuse to write off a bad day. If you are going to flexisyn, this needs to be planned in advance of the event or occasion and you should set yourself a maximum number of syns for that day that you will not exceed. If you get to that amount of syns, you are then supposed to switch back to free and superfree for the rest of the day.

Using flexisyns as an afterthought completely defeats the object of putting YOU in control of the plan.

It is perfectly ok to say "Ah, you had a blow out, it happens to all of us, draw a line under it and move on." It DOES happen to all of us. We do lose control from time to time, whether that be because we drank too much and thought "Ah, stuff it, tomorrow is another day, I'll order that pizza, and being as I'm out of control, may as well have the tub of ice-cream too" or because we have talked ourselves into it, convincing ourselves that it really wont matter as a one-off. Perhaps we are feeling really down and only chocolate will do, by the cupboardload.

But by default, when we head down that road, we are out of control, we lose the ability to say no to the stuff we know is not on plan.

Most importantly, there is no shame in doing so. If we feel guilty about this one-off blow out, we are far more likely to eat more rubbish through guilt and "Well, I have blown it now, I am such a loser, may as well reinforce that message by continuing to eat nonsense". This is where I suspect most of us following the plan can really lose heart and fall off plan for weeks or months.

It doesnt have to be that way, of course, we can have a blow out, a day off plan, and still have the control to get back on plan right next day. And that means, ultimately, that while we did stop off at a scenic point on route, we are still in control and heading towards our destination despite the stop.

So please, STOP suggesting that people flexisyn a blow out. They are two entirely different things and people need to start taking responsibility for their own consumption, rather than just passing it off because it doesnt matter. Of course it matters, but by passing the responsibility for the lack of self-control onto a "flexisyn" day defeats the purpose of a flexisyn day, which IS designed to keep you in control.

Be honest, if you had a blow out, say so. If someone you know had a blow out, acknowledge it, encourage them to move past it, but dont encourage them to write it off using a part of the plan that it simply doesnt apply to.

/gets off soapbox.

well deserved bump...

Back