foot hurting when jogging

ok ive been to run and become today.

it was a great experience, everyone in there was so nice. lol i got accused of being 'a very good looking young man' and also got accused of flirting with one of the staff lol. i can sincerely say i was not at all flirting.

they let me try a few shoes and eventually i got to one which was really comfortable. but then my new shin problem started occuring. and i wasnt sure if the running shoes would fix my foot problem. so i told them to keep the shoes in one side for me so i can come back in a few days, after my shin problem got sorted out. they said i could take the shoes and try it for a short run, if the problems were not sorted they would give my money back. £90 is quite an expensive for me, so i was happy with that.

so its just a case of not running for a few days, let the shin recover (i cannot believe this problem is occuring), going back and getting the shoes.

i have to admit, the running shoes were the worst looking footwear i have ever seen. and i looked like a real wally jogging up and down in an alleyway, in central london, with formal trousers on. but they were very very comfortable, and i showed them the trainers i was using for my running and they wernt very happy with them. ive been using green astro turfs for my running so far lool.

youve given me so much insight. im gonna start doing all the exercises you mentioned. i like the idea of having gorgoes legs. ah i feel so much better now. bit disapointed i couldnt go for the marathon 2 hour run today with new running shoes, but i keep thinking about what you and others have told me in the forum and i know i should just wait.

im gonna work out a exercise rota now. before it was, in the mmorning: 100 situps, 60 pushups and 3-4 sets of bicep curls, in the evening it was the same but included a run.

i feel calmer now, but in more focused. before i was just crazy, but now im feeling more methodical. im glad theres knowledgable people like you in the world...cant thank u enough.

ok so ive recently started to loose weight.

but when i go jogging outside, after a short while, the bottom of my foot really starts hurting. so i have to wait about 15 minutes for the hurting to stop and continue running again. then my foot hurts again and so on. (both feet hurt by the way, equally).

i dont know what it is, cramp maybe? because the problem goes away if i rest for a bit.

but what ever it is, its so anoying because as soon as i start getting out of breath i have to stop because of my stupid foot.

so guys, what do i do?

(by the way, the same problem happens wen i go on the treadmill)

I have exactly the same ache in my foot when I run or do exercise. I think you need to warm up properly first with lots of walking.

Also wearing the right trainers makes all the difference. It won't stop the ache (i think that'll come with weight loss), but it will lessen it greatly.

HTHs -

My pleasure. I'm really glad I helped - and didn't I tell you they'd be great at Run & Become? I wish we had them round here for when my clients ask me for shoe recommendations. :(

ok this training thing isnt going too well for me right now. ive stopped all exercise for the past few days coz i think it was making my shoulder pain worse. the shoulder pain seems to have almost gone now, so maybe tomorrow or day after i can go back on the weight lifting and the new exercises kate suggested.

what is concerning me most at this moment is shin splints, ive asked around and it seems to be a very bad thing. i really really dont want this and now i am feeling lost and confused and worried, i dont want this to mean that i cant run. i used to run for hours every day in hard ground when i was younger and nothing like this used to happen.

the shin pain is gone now, but im gonna not run for a couple of more days just incase. then i will go for a 1 hour walk like cah ching sugested and evaluate my foot and shin problem. il get them running shoes as well. ah i have realised one thing, my body is not fit enough to run every day. this is a huge set back for me.

i think i will also visit the doctor.

i have a strong feeling that all these problems are down to the way i take steps. i dont think i know how to take them. so is there anything i can do about this shin splint issue?

u know how im feeling right now? the foot hurting issue was like having an argument with your girlfriend. you know its a temporary fall out. but this shin splint is making me feel like its a break up, where its finished. i dont wanna stop running.

thanks for your help everyone. i hate my stupid foot.

I feel for you, I have foot pain when I wear any type of shoes after a few hours so i had problems getting a job because i could only wear sneakers. Frustrating isn't it. I can't run to save myself and my feet won't allow it so I've just started walking, had sore ankles at the front of my feet after the first walk which was for an hour and I'm quite slow.

yes i think it could be a weight thing.

ive been asking about the shin splints, it seems i just need to sort a few things out to run on the road. theres a few exercises which can be done to strenghten the calf muscles and the ankles. so i remain optimistic about the running, which will continue sometime soon.

im gonna join the gym for a month and do cycling (swiming i here is good, but i dont know how to swim). and i am continueing with the weights and the exercises kate has recomended me. progress just feels a bit slow without the cardio (running).

and after i sort out my shin, i will run again on the roads. i dont care about the pain at the bottom of the foot, that pain is only temporary. i mean it hurts really bad oviosly, but it always recovers. and my cousine also said that it will go away after i get used it.

i think my body is just to fat for my legs to handle. my weight may not seem extremly high, but ive noticed loads of problems over the last couple of years. i get out of breath really easily, within about 30-40 seconds my heart beat goes to 135 in the cycling machine. i also get out of breath when i walk normally for little distances. and i dont smoke or drink, i think thats really bad.

i think i was trying to do too much in too litle time. i would go walking, but cycling would be better for calorie burning id say.

the only thing which is keeping me motivated about the running is that i was able to do it before, for longer distances when i was younger.

but weight loss is the key id say. i have replaced one of my meals with fruits and vegetables. instead of chikcen and whatever last night, i ate a whole tin of sweet corn.

i think eventually i will just replace both my meals with huge chicken pieces. i need the protein to build muscle.

im glad for everyones feedback. its helped me alot.

ah im really happy again...while i sort out the shin problem, i have found a new cardio exercise.

ive moved my chair away, and im doing sprint laps from one side of the room to another. my room is so smal, about 2-3 meters, but hey it works. i make sure im doing them as fast as i can. i know its working because it makes me swet.

i think it helps as im barfoot and theres carpet, which reduces the impact on my joints. ive only been doing it for about 15 minutes, seems pretty effective to me. i just hope i can do it without all these foot and shin problems occuring.

if anyone can suggest a good reason why i should not do this, please say. otherwise im gonna carry on. i need to make up for all these days of non running.

Back