Free Food that turns into syns.....

Lucylu79

Gold Member
......when you cook/use as substitutes/or eat too much of!

Firstly, sorry if this anywhere else, if it is I do apologise 'in advance' as I couldn't find it ok!

Right, at my class on wed's we had a taster night and a lovely lady contributed some gorgeous Cous Cous Cakes!!! Lovely they were and I heard that they were 1 syn......I presumed this was because of the strawberry topping perhaps but I read that cous cous, when used as a flour substitute becomes syns. Is this correct and if so was the 1 syn an accurate one??

I then got to thinking about other things that aren't always as free as they seem, am I right in thinking that Pasta n Sauce is one when eaten 'too often'??

Any more tips ladies??

x-x-x-x

There are a few things in this category. Its called food abuse in SW terms.

Lasagne chips- to replace tortilla chips.
SW Crisps - to replace normal crisp. not free even though its just potato
I think when you make scones with smash you have to syn it too.

It is when you use FREE foods to make a snack item that wouldnt otherwise be free.

So for instance, crisps are never going to be a free food. Okay you may of used free potatoes or free lasagne, but they are still a snack, not part of a meal and easy to over indulge on.

The other area to be cautious with is using free foods as a substitute for flour in recipes. So for instance smash in the scones (it is okay as a pizza base because it is part of a meal where a 1/3 superfree is included)

Making cakes from chickpeas, cous cous etc is using those foods as a subsitute for flour, so again are not going to be free. You syn them as in your basic syn guide, where it says when used as a substitute for flour and I believe cous cous is 4.5 syns per 28g uncooked when used in that way.

HTH

Back