Funny Farm's Diary

I hope you have managed a bit of sensible shopping for add a meal :)

Gonna have to go to the supermarket tonight, or walk to the local shops. I've got my meal plans sorted. Mostly from the Lighter Life Route to Management recipe book. I'm going to try to be fairly relaxed about it, and accept it will bring me out of ketosis but

I'm going to have spicy chicken with cauliflower mash and asparagus tonight. Will post a recipe if anyone's interested.

I'm also going to have a turkey curry with cauliflower rice (grate cauliflower raw, then boil it), ratatoullie (can't spell it though), quiche (without pastry), forget some of the others, and then an omelette on the last day to use up all the leftover veg.

I got quite excited looking at the recipes in the RTM book, they're so easy to make, I can't believe I didn't refer to them before when I was trying to lose a few pounds the conventional way.

I'm still swaying between TSing monday to friday, or maybe having a food week after every three instead of four? I just think if I make it less hard, I'll be able to do it longer term. I want to still be able to fit a life around it, so going out for meals sometimes, but I also don't want to go onto WS or SS, because I know I'll lost motivation if it's slow, and also I work better with stricter rules.

I want to lose another 3 stone, but the thought of losing the next 4 months of my life to a diet is quite daunting!

Low carb isn't my long term goal though, which is part of the problem. Although I'd like to lose 3 stone, I'm happy enough at one and a half (on top of whatever I've already lost) because then my old clothes will fit, and I was happy enough at that size.

I want to be able to go out with friends, and I want to be able to drink sometimes, and stuff like that. I know I could be at my goal within a few months if I just follow this plan exactly, but that's a long time to put my life on hold.

I'm definitely going to be TS for the rest of this month, and probably until the end of September but I might start introducing food at somewhere along the line.

You sound very organised funny farm, and that is definately a very good thing.
I think if you can plan events, going out for meals or drinks, into what you are doing diet wise, then it does work.
It only doesn't work if you add the wrong stuff too often.
I was fairly successful at this last year doing a similar thing to you.
I had a social event every 2 or 3 weeks.
I added a meal then if I was drinking alcohol.
I also added a meal when ever I worked a late shift, which over course of a month was a week, but spread out through out the month, if you know what I mean :)

Yup, very good advice. Thank you!

Had my first meal last night. It was a nightmare trying to go shopping for fresh, healthy ingredients locally. 3 biggish food shops, and no vegetables! The green grocers had shut by the time I came out of the biggest shop looking for the right spices.

Supermarket today!

Scales say I've lost 5lbs since Monday. Huge loss for me, I'm usually a slow loser. 2lbs since yesterday, food must've agreed with me!

Had chicken curry with cauliflower rice tonight. Mmmmm.

It was! Even my boyfriend liked it and he can't stand cauliflower. Hard to know how long to cook it for, you want it to be still a bit of bite so it feels like rice, but not too mushy.

It was awesome anyway. I made a korma, and used fat free yoghurt instead of cream. Even my boyfriend liked it even though it was very healthy. I outdid myself.

Hmmm, we are microwave free in our house but I'll judge it in a pan. The Korma sounds very tasty, looking forward to doing it with full fat Greek yogurt and cream!

I boiled it, I think it was luck that it turned out well! Grating it was VERY messy though, I'm going to buy a food processor, grate a whole load, put them in portion sized bags and the freeze them for as and when I need them. That way it'll work out more convenient than rice anyway. Might do the same with onions just because I hate chopping them. I find it very hard to justify effort in cooking for one, so stuff like that should make it easier.

I was out of ketosis, so took the opportunity to have some vodka which was a mistake! Put on 2lbs that night, but a pound of it has come off today so I've learned my lesson. It's helpful to think about balance, because in the future if I'm putting on 2-3lbs over a weekend, I can lose that by being extra good during the week.

I've also been naughty and not managed all my packs. It's really hard when I'm having food as well! I made a vegetable curry last night because my vegan friend is staying over (complete with cauliflower rice which I did in the microwave this time, much better) and according to My Fitness Pal that's about 60 calories a serving. Doesn't sound right to me, but that's fab if it's true! Definitely a future regular meal if so, it hardly took any time to cook. The longest thing was chopping the onion and grating the cauliflower, so if I do that in advance and freeze it that's a dinner in 15 minutes.

Discovered a few meals that I can put in my bank for quick, healthy, easy food. I might have to get a recipe book for one pot cooking, because it does put me off a bit, the thought of loads of washing up for one person! I wish there was a version of Exante for maintaining weight permanently. So much easier!

Alcohol is a big weight keeper, and it definately doesn't help long term if you do it too often. Thats my biggest problem, as I like a wee drink socially when I'm off :eek:
Anyway, how do you make this cauliflower rice stuff ? Sounds like it should be something I need to try :D

I will try to cut down, but reckon when I'm at goal I can just try to balance it out.

Cauli rice, you grate it, put it in a dish and cover it (no water) and zap for 4 mins.

I will try to cut down, but reckon when I'm at goal I can just try to balance it out.

Cauli rice, you grate it, put it in a dish and cover it (no water) and zap for 4 mins.

I was doing not too bad balancing it out for a good few months. My problem is I eat too much when I drink, or if I have a hangover :eek:
This time, I am going to try and be different :)
Ta for the cauli rice recipe . I will deffo try that :)

I guess you can work around it, by being extra good in the week that you know you will be drinking. I'm going to end the balance over time rather than day to day.

I'm loving food week. However, the ratatouille I had tonight, is (according to my fitness pal) hardly any calories. I also didn't manage all my packs so if anything I'm under the calories I should be having on a VLCD. I might have to start having more semi skimmed milk to increase my calories!

I've been thinking about cutting down on meat, I think I might have more vegan days to cut back. Both for ethical reasons, and for health. I don't have the self-control to be properly vegan, but I do think that every little bit makes a difference.

I don't eat meat, but do eat fish :)
Vegan protein can be difficult to achieve on this type of diet, as beans and pulses tend to be higher in carbs :)

I don't eat meat, but do eat fish :)
Vegan protein can be difficult to achieve on this type of diet, as beans and pulses tend to be higher in carbs :)

I'm only going to be low carb when I'm on this diet, it's not what I want to do long term.

I'm a bit annoyed today. I've put on 3lbs since Sunday, and I haven't been naughty at all! According to Exante, I'm supposed to be having the 3 packs and up to 600cals a day. I'm having way, way fewer calories than that, and yet I'm putting on weight?

Could it be glycogen or water retention? I've knocked myself out of ketosis (presumably with vegetables) but I haven't been off plan at all.

I feel so disheartened right now, and want to end food week early.

I thought it was a 400 kcal meal for WS ?
I might be wrong.
I think 600kcal is simple solution.
Either way, its still a low calorie diet, so you should lose a small amount.
It must be water or glycogen Funny Farm :)
Is TOTM due maybe ?
If you have done a few days already, and would feel better going back to TS, you may have done enough already to reboost your metabolism :)

Back