Funny what you can do now you couldn't do before!

I can walk without getting out of breath, and feeling like I am going to collapse do to the pains in my knees
I can wear my wedding ring again
I can wrap my towel around me more, I dont need to use a bath sheet
I feel confident wearing my clothes rather than feeling I should wear something to hide behind
I can run upstairs without feeling I need to lie down for a rest

I can't say I have noticed anything, but Im sure there must be things its just I don't realise it.

Does anyone else forget that they are on a diet? It just seems to be the way my life is now, Im on my 7th or 8th week (lost track)

I can do up my size 14 jeans which i'm well chuffed about but probably the most noticable thing is that i don't coss my arms infront of my body anymore when talking to people, oh and on my recent trip when everybody had their camras out i was always the one who would jump behind people so my body was not in the shot but i didn't do that this time!! And my uniform jacket does up and is still loose at the end of a flight where it used to be pulling at the buttons!!

Had a good laugh reading these, so many ring true to me!

I just can not wait to someone says 'you are beautiful' and not 'you have a beautiful face'. Okay so that is kinda nice but I feel so embarassed as I feel they pity the rest of me.

Oh and I would love to travel again on a plane, not been on one for over 10 years. Okay so my anxiety issues worry me but I would just not hate to fit in the seat or be able to wear the seatbelt.

I dream of going to NY so I am determined to shift this weight so I can get a life!

It really saddens me to hear so many people worried about fitting into the aeroplane seatbelt, altho it has never been an issue for me i encounter so many people who do need one. I can honestly say i have never heard of any of my fellow crew mocking people in these situations esp with so many USA flights and giving out extension seatbelts on these routes is the norm really. But, i would like to ask just for future reference...when i see somebody who obviously needs an extension i try to get it to them before they have to ask for it and usually quite discreetly. I usually just quietly say, 'this may be more comftable, but if you don't need it hand it back to me when i next pass'. My thinking is that it would be more embarrassing to have to wait and ask your flight attendant for one and by doing so attracting attention from those seated next to you!! However on one trip i did have a lady shout at me, saying i called her fat, and ofcourse she didn't need it but it became such an ordeal because she did need it and the plane would not even taxi to the runway until she had it on. So my question is....if you need an extension seat belt what is the best way to get one on a flight for you to cause minimal fuss/attention/embarrassement etc?xx

So my question is....if you need an extension seat belt what is the best way to get one on a flight for you to cause minimal fuss/attention/embarrassement etc?xx

Thats a really tricky one and I don't think there is a right answer. Me personally I'd rather ask than be asked because I'd be paranoid then thinking that everyone thinks I'm fat, but a friend of mine (who I recently flew with) got me to ask for an extension as she was too embaressed!!

Some of my little things I've noticed are - being able to lie in the bath without being wedged in, in fact I don't touch the sides at all anymore - yay!! Having a gap between my legs now instead of them rubbing together.

When I used to kneel down on the floor my bum didn't touch my heels - it hurt too much. I used to think it was because I had dodgy knees as that's what hurt, but now I've realised that it was just that there was too much flab in the way on my thighs and knees. It's gone now, and I can do it!

Airgirl, your question is a very tricky one! i would rather ask but i suposse it depends on your personality... if you are in denial then having somebody give it to you might be worse. i remember the first time i didn;t fit i didn;t even know they had extensions! so i just said to the air hostess ..this doesn't fit! and she gave me an extension. I have a question for you...why do they have to be orange? (almost glow in the dark) that is the worst part for me because even if it is given very discretly, when you are putting it on and during the whole flight it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I must say, i don't always hand out extentions but usually try to judge the person who needs it, so if i can see they are struggling and looking a bit anxious then i'll hand it to them, but i never waltz right over with it...usually i just keep an eye on them and try to judge the situation but like you said everyone is different.

The reason they are orange is because they are actually infant extension seat belts! They have a loop in it which can be pulled through the adults belt and secure the infant/baby in! So they are dual purpose. I'm guessing the colour is different to make it easier when we are doing our secure checks to see that an infant is secured on parents lap. The bright orange also makes it easier for us to give out and get back. They are stored in our demo kits and at the end of the flight we have to collect them all in and put them back in the appropriate demo kit and with the number of passengers we carry it is easy to forget which seats they are on so saves time fumbling around all the seats!

it's great to finally know the reason! thanks. it does make a lot of sense to have them in a different colour when you explain it like that :) but it still doesn't make it easier on the people that have to use it and don't have a child with them :p mabye airlines should consider making a special overweight person belt that is black :p but i doubt thats in their list of priorities.. mabye it's good that they kinda stick out and make you feel bad because it could be the trigger somebody needs to start loosing weight! :)

Airgirl, I think you've got the right tactic when offering the belts, I don't envy ou one bit, s people always take things the wrong way. It might save some embarassing moments if you ask whether the passenger is comfortable first, then offer the seatbelt extension. Passenger may then see that you are trying to help them discreetly rather than them getting all huffy!

....As for things I couldn't do before, I go to yoga classes and I can now do inversions such as the plough whereas before I couldn't even get up on my shoulders because I would suffocate under the weight of my boobies!:eek: eek!

Back