gastric band hypnotherapy

How are you getting on Taz ? I'm thinking of having it and I also live in Bristol so would be grateful if you could reccommend a hypno-band therepist

Hi Martha, where in Bristol are you? I actually went to Birmingham for mine and I would definately recommend it. It was worth the 2 trips to Brum.

The last few weeks I have not been too good with it, I have been eating a little more than I should have which makes me feel sick after and regretting it :( but lesson learnt, I am now being a little more sensible so hopefully it will show on the scales this week :) I have lost 8lb in the 5 weeks since I had it done

Sorry to completely butt in here! 8lbs in 5 weeks isn't that much, not for someone that has a gastric band (considering you're meant to be the same as someone with an actual one after hypnotherapy). That's a little over 1.5lbs a week which is highly doable doing anything else such as calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world etc. and so, personally, I'm not sure that I see that it's worth the cost.

I dont take part with the boards much but just wanted to say 8lbs in 5 weeks is great !
The "real" gastric band isnt a miracle it doesnt make you drop weight ive been researching this op since oct 2010 and although it does help to restrict how much you can eat, the whole process from Op to what they call the "sweet spot" can take 12 months or more. In my opinion this form of weight loss surgery is the one that needs tweeks and extra willpower
(all weight loss needs this though).
It is actually easier to eat bad foods with the band as they tend to slip through the band pretty easily.

Im not sure if you feel this with the hypno band though.

Taz i think youve had a great loss over the past few weeks :) xx

Last edited:
Sorry if I came across as down playing the 8lbs, I didn't mean it that way. 8lbs is great and well done. BUT I think you could do that by calorie counting, weight watchers etc. too. But 8bs is not to be sniffed at at all, well done.

Sorry to completely butt in here! 8lbs in 5 weeks isn't that much, not for someone that has a gastric band (considering you're meant to be the same as someone with an actual one after hypnotherapy). That's a little over 1.5lbs a week which is highly doable doing anything else such as calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world etc. and so, personally, I'm not sure that I see that it's worth the cost.
I am assuming from that comment you have never had any contact with the actual surgical procedure or hypno-procedure?! I have a friend who has a 'real' band and lost 10st at the rate of 1.79lb per week. She hasn't lost any more weight for a year because, like anything, it takes time and extra work. The band, real or not, has to be worked with, it does provide a physical restriction but that can be sabotaged if you don't work with it properly.

Feel free to belittle my success but you don't know my full story, this thread is JUST about the hypno-band. I have medical reasons why weight loss is difficult for me and before the therapy I'd lost 1lb in 4 months at SW. The therapy was the tool I needed to start losing weight again and it worked. If I lost 1lb a week I would be happy as any loss is good.

Not everything works for everyone and I would say that hypnotherapy would not work for you, just as other ways don't work for me

I dont take part with the boards much but just wanted to say 8lbs in 5 weeks is great !
The "real" gastric band isnt a miracle it doesnt make you drop weight ive been researching this op since oct 2010 and although it does help to restrict how much you can eat, the whole process from Op to what they call the "sweet spot" can take 12 months or more. In my opinion this form of weight loss surgery is the one that needs tweeks and extra willpower
(all weight loss needs this though).
It is actually easier to eat bad foods with the band as they tend to slip through the band pretty easily.

Im not sure if you feel this with the hypno band though.

Taz i think youve had a great loss over the past few weeks :) xx
I have a friend with a real band and it sure isn't a miracle! It is hard work and there is a lot of pain involved, food gets stuck in it which needs to be regurged or 'helped' through. While I don't get these things with the virtual one I do feel very ill if I eat too much. I have to consider everything I eat as if I snack on something unhealthy I wouldn't be able to eat anything else (healthier!) for an hour or 2. If I don't eat nutritious food I also end up feeling ill

I am assuming from that comment you have never had any contact with the actual surgical procedure or hypno-procedure?! I have a friend who has a 'real' band and lost 10st at the rate of 1.79lb per week. She hasn't lost any more weight for a year because, like anything, it takes time and extra work. The band, real or not, has to be worked with, it does provide a physical restriction but that can be sabotaged if you don't work with it properly.

Feel free to belittle my success but you don't know my full story, this thread is JUST about the hypno-band. I have medical reasons why weight loss is difficult for me and before the therapy I'd lost 1lb in 4 months at SW. The therapy was the tool I needed to start losing weight again and it worked. If I lost 1lb a week I would be happy as any loss is good.

Not everything works for everyone and I would say that hypnotherapy would not work for you, just as other ways don't work for me

Actually yes, I have. I know quite a few people who have had the 'real' band and the majority lost at a much faster rate than that. One ate less but all bad things so lost very slowly. Another lost something like 1 stone a month, possibly a little more. The others lost quite quickly too.

As I clearly said in my second post, I didn't mean to sound like I was belittling your success in any way, I think that losing anything is good. My point was that you've paid a lot of money for something that isn't providing a very fast weight loss, in comparison to those that I know that have had the band. No, I don't know your story BUT you haven't put that here, you've just pt about the band and your losses and so obviously, that's going to be all that I have to go on.

Like I have said to you in my post before, 8lbs, however you've lost it is great and so I in no way turn my nose up at that. But I do still stick to my original point which was that, for the average person, that amount can be lost through other methods which won't cost however many hundreds of pounds. I agree, some methods will work for some, whilst some won't work with others so I'm glad that you've found what works for you.

Actually yes, I have. I know quite a few people who have had the 'real' band and the majority lost at a much faster rate than that. One ate less but all bad things so lost very slowly. Another lost something like 1 stone a month, possibly a little more. The others lost quite quickly too.

As I clearly said in my second post, I didn't mean to sound like I was belittling your success in any way, I think that losing anything is good. My point was that you've paid a lot of money for something that isn't providing a very fast weight loss, in comparison to those that I know that have had the band. No, I don't know your story BUT you haven't put that here, you've just pt about the band and your losses and so obviously, that's going to be all that I have to go on.

Like I have said to you in my post before, 8lbs, however you've lost it is great and so I in no way turn my nose up at that. But I do still stick to my original point which was that, for the average person, that amount can be lost through other methods which won't cost however many hundreds of pounds. I agree, some methods will work for some, whilst some won't work with others so I'm glad that you've found what works for you.
I did see your second post after I posted and I appreciate your comments. For the record, I didn't pay hundreds of pounds and nor would I without the guarantee of success. I went into it as a gamble of less than £100 which I considered worth it at the time as I was paying more going to SW and losing nothing. I now see it as an absolute bargain as I have lost weight since, and more!

The point being, with hypnoband weight loss, there is very little effort needed - the weight comes off on it's own, not by calorie counting, avoiding mixing proteins and carbs like other well-known diets, etc.
If I lost 8lb without much effort, I'd be pleased as punch, even if it did come off 1lb a go.
Well done, Taz. Keep it up!
It's not completely effortless, you have to stay on the ball or it can unravel. But if the therapist does a good enough job beforehand you will NEVER eat the same again. So in that respect it is easier, but it's not infalible

I did see your second post after I posted and I appreciate your comments. For the record, I didn't pay hundreds of pounds and nor would I without the guarantee of success. I went into it as a gamble of less than £100 which I considered worth it at the time as I was paying more going to SW and losing nothing. I now see it as an absolute bargain as I have lost weight since, and more!

Other people that I have seen that have had this have paid literally hundreds of pounds for it. If at less than £100 it works for you, then fair play to you, it's worth doing.

Reactions: Taz
The therapy I had should have cost £350 but I got a deal on it. I wouldn't have been able to justify that cost without knowing the results. Now I know I would pay it if I had it

I also saw something on TV about this recently and did a search on here and came across your post! Well done on your loss so far!

I understand Caroline's comment, but if I'm being completely honest with myself I've probably spent £150 - £200 on diet related stuff in the past year and that was a good year. Some of the things that I've paid for in the past 5 years are:

£80 for SW membership
£500 approx for Cambridge Diet (lost 3 stone :))
£30 for WW membership
£20 for memberhsip of a intuitive eating website
£60 for SW membership (yes I've signed up several times)
£100 (I think) for Beyond Chocolate
£200 for life coaching - which included emotional eating
Various books such as South Beach, The Harcombe diet, diet cook books etc etc etc

I'm sure I've missed some out - £350 for a hypno band is a bargain if it works!!

I find it absolutely fascinating and will follow this thread with interest - please keep us up to date with your progress!!! :)

I also saw something on TV about this recently and did a search on here and came across your post! Well done on your loss so far!

I understand Caroline's comment, but if I'm being completely honest with myself I've probably spent £150 - £200 on diet related stuff in the past year and that was a good year. Some of the things that I've paid for in the past 5 years are:

£80 for SW membership
£500 approx for Cambridge Diet (lost 3 stone :))
£30 for WW membership
£20 for memberhsip of a intuitive eating website
£60 for SW membership (yes I've signed up several times)
£100 (I think) for Beyond Chocolate
£200 for life coaching - which included emotional eating
Various books such as South Beach, The Harcombe diet, diet cook books etc etc etc

I'm sure I've missed some out - £350 for a hypno band is a bargain if it works!!

I find it absolutely fascinating and will follow this thread with interest - please keep us up to date with your progress!!! :)
Hi Alli, I have lost another 2lb this week which I am very pleased with. Now I know it works I would definately pay the full price for it, it's the not knowing that makes it a risk. And it won't work for everyone, you have to be really up for it and positive towards it.

I am interested to know, when you had the life coaching for emotional eating did it help at all? Emotional eating is one of the biggest changes in my life now, the hypno sessions have completely removed that and it's amazing!

Taz said:
Hi Alli, I have lost another 2lb this week which I am very pleased with. Now I know it works I would definately pay the full price for it, it's the not knowing that makes it a risk. And it won't work for everyone, you have to be really up for it and positive towards it.

I am interested to know, when you had the life coaching for emotional eating did it help at all? Emotional eating is one of the biggest changes in my life now, the hypno sessions have completely removed that and it's amazing!

That's brilliant - well done! I think it would work for me as I've used the Marisa Peer hypnotism cd and it put me off sugar, bread and dairy while I was listening to it regularly. I got out of the habit after a while though and gradually fell back into my old habits so I can see how it's not an instant fix - I guess nothing is.

Yes, the life coaching was extremely helpful. It was focussging on CBT exercises to get me to think before eating and to realise that I can eat whatever I want whenever I want - it's my choice. This was a big thing for me at the time as I was so confused by all the different messages around that I felt completely out of control and I was very anxious around food.

I'm convinced that it was my life coaching that helped me remain focussed on CD when every other diet had failed. I have managed to maintain my weight bar 7lbs which is what I'm trying to shed at the moment.

I'd be happy to post more about it later but have to get going now as I have an all day workshop to run :)

Last edited:
Hypno band

Dear All,

After two years I am rejoining the forum as have really battled with shifting weight. After watching C4 Embarressing bodies and seeing the Hypnoband I have been investigating this as an option. In my area its costing around £400.00 which is a lot of money. I have been inspiried by reading all these stories and am moving closer to my decision. My hubby who has studied hypnotherapy (but is not one) asked the question ' how does it differ from normal weight loss hypnotherapy- apart from fitting a virtual band?' can anyone help. And Taz does your therapist in B'ham still offer it at that price?

Need loads of support please.

Remy xxxxx

How does it differ from weight-loss hypnotherapy? Well having never had any other hypnotherapy I can't really comment other than to say that the aim of this is the virtual band and the fitting of it is the main part but all the other stuff before is great. The only other weight loss hypnotherapy I know of is ones where they take your trigger foods and make you see them crawling with maggots so you never eat them again. I didn't want that so I was never interested in that kind of therapy.

Yes, she does still do offers which change every month. I am careful not to advertise on here but if you google Building Belief you will find her site

I had my hypnotic gastric band fitted end April. It was preceded by some really heavy duty work on the reasons for my compulsive eating. That released me from years of low self esteem and was worth the cost alone.

After the op it was amazing at first, I could actually feel the band. Then after a few weeks my old compulsions tried to but in and that is how my life is now, a push -pull between the old and new me.

Slow weight loss but I am dealing with the compulsive eating at the same time

The best thing the HGB did for me was to actually make me feel that I can eat smaller portions and be full. previously I was always 'Oh I NEED all this food' and really convinced myself I was hungry.

What I am doing is eating my food out of a ramekin or v small plate and making myself take a min of 10 mins to eat a main meal, and 5 for a snack.

I have embedded this into my habits for meals and now its a case of doing it 100% - unconscious grazing has a lot to answer for!

None of this would be possible without the HGB and I know for me it is the only way I could ever lose the weight or the foodaholism

HGB wont work if you dont believe, or if you think it's a magic pill. you still need to do the work yourself.

Will be back in this thread as at last I have some people to discuss this with!

Back