gastric band hypnotherapy

Harriet, you have hit the nail on the head there. It's about forming a new way of being, new habits and breaking the old bad ones. I too felt that the stuff before the 'op' was so valuable that it was worth the cost alone and the HGB was like a free gift! I'm sorry that your old compulsions have resurfaced, were you given any support materials to use at home? It's great that you are winning the battle though

When it comes to hypnotherapy the individual who is having it must understand that we only use a tiny percentage of our thinking brain. With hypnotherapy you have to let yourself completely go/ relax, alot easier said rather than done.
I've had hypnotherapy in the past a few times, the longest course of it was about 8month where I went each week to deal with panic attacks due to an assault that happened 17yrs ago.
Yes it does work but you have believe in it in order for anything to work ~ that's my saying and that includes medication

Hi Taz and Chiku

you are both so right. My compulsions have always been there, at last I am driving the bus! Sometimes in 1st gear, sometimes in 5th

I wasn't given support materials but I realised that my hypnotherapist could not solve all my problems. Instead I used self hypnosis to build on what he did. He gave me a relaxation CD and I used this to get into a hypnotic trance then repeat what he's said in the sessions.

I was thinking this morning that the mistake some people make not just with the HGB buut ANY weight loss method is they see it as separate from themselves...I've had a HGB, I'm the X diet etc

I think this is because we live in a consumer culture that sells us the myth of buying a cure for deep seated problems

What we are all striving for is to embed healthy eating patterns in our brains so WE own them - not the hypnotherapist, not the diet etc

I did meet a (really obnoxious) hypnotherapist the other day who told me that my one should have stopped all my cravings etc.

I would be really interested to know if anyone out there has managed this, as my feeling is - talking to others - that hypnotherapy is not a cure all.

Maybe it depends on the extent of your food addiction.

?

cannot tell you what a relief it is to find this forum and talk to you all

:)

Mine started off with saying (refering to her pen) "This is not a magic wand, these are not magic words" and she said that the answers are all in my head and she will just help to unlock them and make them accessible to me. Which is exactly what I wanted!

I agree that we can get too hung up by labelling ourselves by whatever plan we are on. When I did SW I loved that it was a lifestyle rather than a diet and what I wanted wasn't a quick fix but a healthy way of life. Years on the plan have led me to naturally eating the SW way even when I have been 'off plan'.

My hypnotherapist also told me that our eating habits are learnt behaviour, like driving a car. We learn it, we do it without thinking, it becomes natural. So a lot of my therapy was based on finding where I learnt my bad habits and to 'unlearn' the habits I wanted to get rid of.

I still love chocolate! And I still eat it when I want but only if I have 'space' for it. The physical side of the HGB works really well for me, there are some things I can't have, like whole milk and orange juice, in large quantities.

I also find that I end up with battles between my tongue and my belly! Sometimes I really want some chocolate but I am full and know that it will make me feel ill if I had some. And other times I have to choose between a snack and something more nutritious as I can't have both. There is a lot of thinking and planning involved!

BUT all that said, I love the freedom I have now. I went out for the day with my dad on Saturday and I would normally spend the day eating. On Saturday we had breakfast at the station at 8.30am, we had lunch when we got to our destination at 3pm then nothing again until we were on our way home at 10pm when we had some biscuits on the train. I actually felt that I got more out of the day because I wasn't stopping for snacks. I actually bought a bag of crisps which I didn't eat until Sunday lunch time.

Bit of a crap day today - my son's nursery told me they are concerned re his speech, I know it's true but it still hit me a bit.

So all my slow eating at lunchtime went out the window and had 2nd helpings

RIGHT enough self pity. I am going out on my bike now for a bit til I pick the kids up

Some days you just can't be bothered:confused:

I am booked for my first gastric band hypnotherapy session on Friday. I am looking forward to it and hope it will help me to realise when I am actually full and gain some new long needed eating habits. I will let you know how I get on.

Remy xxx

Bit of a crap day today - my son's nursery told me they are concerned re his speech, I know it's true but it still hit me a bit.

So all my slow eating at lunchtime went out the window and had 2nd helpings

RIGHT enough self pity. I am going out on my bike now for a bit til I pick the kids up

Some days you just can't be bothered:confused:
Just a blip, you soon know when you have pushed your new limits and realise you shouldn't have :cry: I dread anything rocking my boat as I don't know how afloat I can stay. These things are testers and we CAN and WILL get through them x

I am booked for my first gastric band hypnotherapy session on Friday. I am looking forward to it and hope it will help me to realise when I am actually full and gain some new long needed eating habits. I will let you know how I get on.

Remy xxx
Good luck Remy, where are you having it done? How many sessions will you have? Don't forget to come back here and tell us how you found it x

Thank you Taz. I have found a local hypnotherapist, so am going tomorrow. Will keep you updated. Thanks Remy xxx:eek:

Thanks for your wise words Taz

I dread anything rocking my boat as I don't know how afloat I can stay. [/QUOTE]

I'm finding that as I go on I am getting stronger and - just like learning to swim - the longer you persist the easier it is to stay afloat.

Am interested as it doesn't sound like you fall off the wagon really - that's amazing! I have done regularly but in the last few days have found this immense power in my inner core.

I am keeping away from energy vampires (folks who bring you down by their mere presence)

I cannot stand the idea of drinking, like it's poison or something

Same for diet Coke, which has been a bit of a crutch for me

Keeping away from these unhealthy things feels very easy right now.

Good luck Remy - let us know how you get on

Wow it's so interesting that you say that about the energy vampires! I have found since my HGB that I have less time for people like that, I keep those that are takers at arms length and have really spent time re-evaluating the kind of people I have around me.

I really get what you are saying about the inner strength too, it's like having some magic power. That's the only thing I can really liken it to.

I used to fall off the wagon for a passtime when I was on SW. I had some really bad family problems which resulted in 3 of my 4st loss going back on :( which is why I don't know how I would react if those things happened now. Although if I felt like I was slipping I think I would book straight in for a top up session with my hypnotherapist!

I really think that the band is such a tiny part of this procedure, I think the therapy surrounding it plays such a vital part. But having said that, the HGB really does work. I ate too much today and I really feel bad tonight. I feel a bit sick and sooooo fat and full up

Hi Ladies, I have two sessions of hypotherapy (not had the band fitted yet) and I feel so much more in control of my eating. I dont stuff my face and i choose healthier options more. I have lost 2 lbs, (in 2 weeks) which i know is not much, but it has given me the motivation to finally sort this out. I have found an amazing lady and have gelled with her really well. My next hurdle is incorporating exercise. I will keep updating you periodically. Love Remy xxx

That's excellent! You say 2lb in 2 weks isn't much but it's possibly more that you would have lost?! And 1lb a week is 52lb a year, definately not to be sniffed at! Well done x

Thanks Taz, I am pleased. I also went for a 30min brisk walk today, so am chuffed. However was treated to wagamama's for lunch and I cleared my plate, it was so yummy !!!!
X Remy

I had my hypno band done in September and to date have lost 3 1/2 st. It's the best thing I've ever done. It cured me of mt diet coke addiction and he's got me at the gym 5 days a week, when the children are at school I'm there for water fit 5 times a week and zumba 3 times a week on top of the gym sessions! (It's been GCSE revision for a while so due to 2 different schools and exam timetables I was lucky to just make the gym most days!
I've gone from a 28/30 to a 22 top (and as of last week got my fat arse into a pair of 24 trousers! (I am wearing size 22 pj bottoms lol)
To any body who's thinking of it I'd say do research, I loved my man he's a darling and altho there's no m oney back guarantee he will guarantee to work with you to get the right style of hypnosis! I have back up cds to listen to when I need them, all different session done specially for me!
When I first had it and he said how did it feel I said truthfully like it hasn't worked and I've wasted my money! He just laughed and boy was I made to eat those words!
Good luck to anybody having it done.

How's your Zumba doing? Would you recommend me to enroll to Zumba classes. i think it's really a great program.

I would recommend Zumba to anyone, it's great fun. I'm totally cack handed and don't do some of the moves as I have a really bad knee but she always gives lower impact alternatives! But it's a really good workout and FUN!! lol

It's an ongoing process! I'm now combining it with WW simply because I'm bored with deciding for myself what I eat lol. I also like to have somebody else weighing me!

Back