GCSEs

Anyone else got kids doing them at the moment??

My son Mark sat a few of the minor ones before half term and taking the biggies in the coming week...Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, History and German

He's a bright kid but refuses to revise!

I've sat down with him a few times with mock papers off the Bitesize site, we've gone through the questions and he's been answering them (not writing down just in his head) but he won't do anything on his own.

Don't know how to motivate him at all

Anyone got any bright ideas to get him going??

Amanda
xx

He's a bright kid but refuses to revise!

Tell me about it!!:mad: Sorry to say, it's a boy thing.

I remember another teacher telling me to make him do x amount before he went out, but unless he has at least some intrinsic motivation, he's just not going to absorb it.

So, sorry. Haven't worked out the answer for this yet. DS2 took some of the new module GCSEs at the beginning of the year (new thing starting this year for yr 10s). Very little revision done.

He announced yesterday that he did all his yr 10 exams last week. I didn't even know about them to remind him to revise, and he certainly didn't do any :(

So answers on a postcard please addressed to 90% of mum of boys.

Well,
don't know if its just a boy thing lol Jess is doing her GCSE too, don't see much revision coming from her either :eek:

Amanda whats that web address may take a look, although she may know about it already... I'll ask her later, she's still in bed, you never know she may be revising lol doubt it tho!! :)

Try not to panic! Most schools will have had revision sessions in the lessons. Are your kids schools not still running them in the libraries or anything?

I think that most of the kids now have this 'attitude' that if they don't know it by now, they never will! :rolleyes:

It's been a hard year for a lot of them and tbh, the nagging will go in one ear and out the other. My youngest was supposed to have spent all this weekend revising but has instead spent it watching footie on the tv :rolleyes: He's got all the revision guides and has also been on Bitesize and a site called s-cool or something but now seems to have gone the way of almost every other 16 yr old in the country.

From what I can see with invigilating the GCSE and A-level exams (and Y9 and 10 exams as well), the kids know the stuff that's on the papers IF they have listened in class. The papers aren't all rocket science and that's why the emphasis is now on coursework - for good reason too methinks!

Good luck to all your little angels :D

The papers aren't all rocket science and that's why the emphasis is now on coursework - for good reason too methinks!

Good luck to all your little angels :D

Arrrggghhh. Coursework!!! Pass the swear box please :D

Which is why DS2 has had to delay his Tech GCSE. 'Forgot' to do the coursework:rolleyes:

Arrrggghhh. Coursework!!! Pass the swear box please :D

Which is why DS2 has had to delay his Tech GCSE. 'Forgot' to do the coursework:rolleyes:

PMSL Karion, yeah, we've ahd a few like that too. Believe it or not but the teachers seem to spend half their lives reminding them taht coursework has to be in on time. The kids seem to think that the teachers set the dates but they don't, the exam bodies do :rolleyes:

I had the same thing with my eldest and his art work except he'd done it and forgot to take it to school :rolleyes:. When he did, the teacher said something was missing from it and then proceeded to 'scribble' all over it :eek::eek::eek: Son was not impressed at all. We'd had so many rows with this darned woman. She ended up getting sacked as so many parents complained about her :rolleyes: x

Lol Amanda,
not much info from Jess either, she said the Maths was 'ok'. all I know is that it was not a multiple choice ;)

No comment on the geography one tho..

English this morning for Jess as well... I asked her what it was, ie comprehension (sp) she said no, she thinks its 'argumentive writing' something like that anyway, she says, 'I'll find out when I get there!' lol Tis best that they're not too worried. fingers crossed she does well, english is one of her strong points... will light a candle! Not sure how long it'll last before Daisy blows it out tho hahahha

I had the same thing with my eldest and his art work except he'd done it and forgot to take it to school :rolleyes:. When he did, the teacher said something was missing from it and then proceeded to 'scribble' all over it :eek::eek::eek: Son was not impressed at all. We'd had so many rows with this darned woman. She ended up getting sacked as so many parents complained about her :rolleyes: x

:eek::eek: Dear. That's awful:eek:

My sons tech coursework was supposed to be done in school. They weren't allowed to do it at home, so it's their fault:D

The teacher did admit that he was partly to blame. Said he had no idea DS2 was so behind. He admitted that there are children in the class that are problematic and need lots of watching, and others that are very motivated and always asking questions about how they can improve their work:clap:

Whereas DS2 (he tells me), doesn't give any indication of there being a problem. Soft soaps him with 'okay...bit stuck on something, but would like to see if I can sort it out myself' and 'Yes...just doing it now...it's going fine'

Basically, he tells them what they want to hear:rolleyes:

Dreading next year when they get this study leave. I am so against study leave. Only the most deligent child will make good use of it, and it's those very children that often don't really need to:rolleyes:

Just a holiday for the rest :(

:eek::eek: Dear. That's awful:eek:

My sons tech coursework was supposed to be done in school. They weren't allowed to do it at home, so it's their fault:D

The teacher did admit that he was partly to blame. Said he had no idea DS2 was so behind. He admitted that there are children in the class that are problematic and need lots of watching, and others that are very motivated and always asking questions about how they can improve their work:clap:

Whereas DS2 (he tells me), doesn't give any indication of there being a problem. Soft soaps him with 'okay...bit stuck on something, but would like to see if I can sort it out myself' and 'Yes...just doing it now...it's going fine'

Basically, he tells them what they want to hear:rolleyes:

Dreading next year when they get this study leave. I am so against study leave. Only the most deligent child will make good use of it, and it's those very children that often don't really need to:rolleyes:

Just a holiday for the rest :(

Ha!! to study leave!!
Should be called 'sit on my arse and play computer games' leave!!

I've just got home and he says that was ok too....he predicts a B for english and A for maths yesterday .....roll on the 3rd thursday in august is all I can say!!

I'm trying to support Mark as much as I can....even though he won't accept (and thinks he doesn't need) help!!
Which is better than I got from my parents.....

When I did my O levels my mum was on holiday in Spain with a friend and my dad was meant to be looking after us. I don't think they even knew I was taking exams?
In reality me and my sister spent 2 weeks on our own...great for a 15 and 16 year old eh? My dad visited a couple of times and threw money at us...he was too busy with the latest tart!!

Oooh I sound angry don't I? No wonder my head's always been messed up lol!!

I don't think they even knew I was taking exams?
In reality me and my sister spent 2 weeks on our own...great for a 15 and 16 year old eh?

:rolleyes: Ummm, yes. Same here. Okay..don't think she was away (though she had left us and gone on holiday many times), but she certainly didn't know when I was doing them. Actually, she didn't even know when I left school. Never told her. Went for a job, got it, and started work.

I didn't even tell the school. Just never went back.

To be fair, I can't blame the school for not noticing, as I rarely went anyway, and I only took 3 CSE's, so hardly enough for a parent to stress about:rolleyes:

I did get an amazing job folding wet sheets in a cockroach infested laundry. How about that! Bet you're dead jealous now:p

:rolleyes: Ummm, yes. Same here. Okay..don't think she was away (though she had left us and gone on holiday many times), but she certainly didn't know when I was doing them. Actually, she didn't even know when I left school. Never told her. Went for a job, got it, and started work.

I didn't even tell the school. Just never went back.

To be fair, I can't blame the school for not noticing, as I rarely went anyway, and I only took 3 CSE's, so hardly enough for a parent to stress about:rolleyes:

I did get an amazing job folding wet sheets in a cockroach infested laundry. How about that! Bet you're dead jealous now:p

This is like the Twilight zone lol

DS exam (Domestic Science) was an afternoon exam and no mum or dad around so I had to walk a mile and a half through the woods (shortest route) to the train station lugging a ton of equipment in a huge wicket basket. Posh school so carrier bags weren't allowed, our DS stuff had to always be in these cumbersome baskets!

They weren't there for any of my exams....nor the results, I opened them on my own and wasn't surprised to have only passed 1 :sigh:

Left school and started work in a factory the very next day....I had such ambition eh!

But hey...I can sew lol

Definitely parallel lives here Amanda. I did the night school route.

I moved on from the laundry and got a job at Max Factors. I loved it. Just on the assembly belt, putting on labels, packing boxes, spraying perfume into my gloved hand. One of my better jobs:D After that I got my own window cleaning business (bad idea since I don't like ladders;))

Whilst at MF, I started doing the night school routine. Did that for a few years, then went it alone for the rest of the time.

Didn't actually stop get qualifications until about 8 years ago when I got my last diploma. Decided to call it a day cos my brain was too full up. You know....just how much stuff can you put into a small balloon? There is a limit :D

Well, you two I think you've really done yourselves proud :D I didn't go back and do GCSE's but I did qualify as a Pharmacy Technician once I was married with kids - my mother then wanted to claim all the glory for 'helping her daughter' PMFSL - she did nothing at all except for ringing to moan about someone when I was trying to study :rolleyes:. DH provided all the moral support etc. I did go to college a couple of years ago and get a load of computer and office qualifications too - again it was DH who helped out and prived moral support ! Mother never showed any interest and in fact I can never remember her even attending a parents evening!

As for study leave, what a joke LOL In son's school they got 5 days study leave and all of which had compulsory revision sessions within school :D Amazing how the other high school here can't understand why their results are consistently lower than son's school......

Well, you two I think you've really done yourselves proud :D I didn't go back and do GCSE's but I did qualify as a Pharmacy Technician once I was married with kids

That takes some doing especially with kids at home:clap:

As for study leave, what a joke LOL In son's school they got 5 days study leave and all of which had compulsory revision sessions within school :D Amazing how the other high school here can't understand why their results are consistently lower than son's school.

Wish DS1's school had done that :( Don't know what DS2's school will do. Guess they'll get a holiday like all the schools around here:rolleyes:

I've noticed one local school seems to be doing GCSE's much earlier than most. Girl Yr 9 says all her class is taking 3? GCSE's this year. It's not a high achieving school (we are still in the grammar system, and most of the more able tend to go there). I think it's only the top class and I know lots of children take GCSEs early, but haven't seen this sort of thing en masse before.

Guess it makes sense if they can do it. Getting them all bit by bit rather than leaving it to Yr 11.

Back