GREEN DAYS ONLY - systemas diary

Long time away.

Yes my internet did go on the blink - went off altogether so gave up with it and did not bother getting a reconnect.

So - got to my target weight then we went on a very extended holiday 1st November (still on it) and eating too much rich food and drinking fantastic wine I suppose it has all come back again. Tried some short on yesterday which I have not had on since November and they are very tight - would not go out of the door in them - so time for a change.
We are going to be in one place for a while now but with not much kitchen equipment will have to make the most of it.

Question time now - can't find porridge anywhere so we are using rice as a breakfast cereal - what would you do about counting it. Free on GREEN I know but will usually be eating it for dinner as well - count it as HEXB as if it was porridge?
Having to have rice as other breakfast cereals here (in Asia) are sugar filled rubbish.
Some of the food I will have to guess at but hopefully by cutting out the wonderfully sticky cakes and breads will give me a start for when we get back. God knows how these people keep so thin.
Will post more later when we get sorted out.

Thank you. White rice, noodles and french bread are the staples here so will have to read back through the forums and Google and sort out some more fibre rich food.

Yes that is where we are for the next 2 months. The bread is really nice - for a while :)
Brilliant here if you are a meat eater but really struggling to vary the veggie food without all my usual kitchen stuff.
Found a great veggie restaurant - will post a couple of pics later of what we ate yesterday - but can't syn it etc so think I will have to just be sensible in what I eat.
Now that we are away from fantastic wineries is going to help no end :sad0071::sad0071:

Found a veggie restaurant/take-away so decided to take some home so we could have a look at it first.

LUNCHBOX_zps336d5a02.jpg

no idea what what was in it - just gave us the box and a few plastic bags.

INSIDELUNCHBOX_zps83b131c9.jpg

Still no idea what all of it was but it did taste good and not too oily. Was assured it was all veggie - soya products and vegetables with rice and the stuff that looks like scrambled egg was spicy Tofu. On the right hand side is a bag of clear soup with a few beans sprouts in it - a bag of soya sauce and a fantastic spring roll. Think I will half it in future and add some salad.
Spring rolls were ideal - rice wrappers filled with lots of herbs and greens.

Wondered if anyone could help with this yoghurt. It is not a UK brand and I have had to translate it on the net. Borrowed a magnifying glass to read it !!!
Don't know if sugar free makes it syn free or if it is the fat content. Could Syn it at 3 but at 2 per day was hoping it was free.

Vinamilk Brand - Sugar Free - Calories per 100gms - 64

Per 100 gms
Carbs - 4.8
Protein - 3.4
Fatty Acid - 3.5 - presume this is fats.

Contents - water, milk, milk powder, stabilisers.

Thank You.

YOGHURTSINVIETNAM_zpsbe1b717e.jpg

Walked for miles today looking for bread as someone told us they had seen brown bread - eventually found it and it was Rye but bought it anyway - it will have to do. Suppose the walking was good for the pedometer.

that takeaway looks so much like meat :) and I thought it was only in the west we made veggie food look like the meat equivalent
it does look good though and the veggie rolls sound lovely cant help with the kefir - all I know is some kefir grains (yeast and bacteria I think) are put in the milk so it would very much depend on the milk and I think that is full fat so you would have to syn it like a full fat yog perhaps like a total greek one - but as I dont have access to the website can only guess

I will take a picture of the veggie place next time we go. A young girl took us there as she had heard us asking about veggie food in a restaurant and when we got there had to ask her again if it was veggie. The guy who owns it spoke a little English and said yes all veggie, no meat and pointed to a big veggie/vegan sign painted on the wall then a Russian girl in there spoke in English to us to assure us no meat.
Been again today but I only got the spring rolls so will post the pics and days food later.
The Kefir is good - lovely tasting and is probably full fat as it tastes so creamy so must cut it down to one per day instead of 2.

I just checked that yogurt for you - looks pretty good! Didn't know what the serving size was so did it for 100g worth and it came out as 1 syn with yogurt as a free food allowance. If it's sugar free then that's always a bonus!

The takeaway food looks amazing - very impressed! Is it mock duck or similar? Looks a lot like it :) x

Thanks for that - the serving size is 100gms so at 1 syn I can live with that - brilliant.
In the shop the large slice at the front of the pic looked like fish and there were shredded pieces I would have sworn were chicken, crunchy pieces like pork scratchings and this thin sheet which was like chicken skin. Yesterday OH had sausages (looked too greasy for me) fillet of "chicken" mixed veg and rice.
That whole meal cost about 60p and later I paid double that for a can of tomatoes and the same for a can of butter beans.
If only I could be sure of the syns in it I would eat it every other day - some of it, like the sausages, look very greasy but on the whole it was ok.

TUESDAY 5TH
BREAKFAST

Large bowl fruit and yoghurt - 50gms bread and 15gm "hotel" portion of jam - glass soya milk - HEX A - HEX B - 1syn each for jam and yoghurt

MIXEDFRUIT_zps84e8336b.jpg

LUNCH
2 Spring rolls with soya sauce and pickled ginger with salad and spinach - chilli sauce --- fruit and yoghurt - 1 syn each for chilli sauce and yoghurt

SPRINGROLLSWITHALITTLESOYAANDSALAD_zps3f59b090.jpg

DINNER

Rice - Sweeet Potato and Butterbean Curry - Squash and Greens Curry - oil 2 syns

6-SQUASHANDSPINACH-SWEETPOTATOampBUTTERBEANCURRYWITHRICE_zps0b1292ad.jpg

TOTAL
HEX A - HEX B - SYNS 6 plus 5 for hot chocolate = 11

Last edited:
No help with the yogurt but the veggie meat is Definatley bean curd or wheat gluten. I have tins of braised tofu at home and it looks just like that.

In China in particular although it is well known that there are not a lot of vegetarians - there is 'temple food' where they go to great lengths to make bean curd/ gluten look like meat. I have had tins of mock duck - it even has the skin effect! It is quite an art apparently. I think they do this all over but it probably started in China. I know you can get veggie food at monastories in Japan. Hope you enjoyed your meal.

I was reading in the paper yesterday about a restaurant here that cooks insects which is a big thing in Vietnam and other oriental places. Wonder how many syns in a locust?? Not much to them. Anyway, as I am veggie too I will never find out!

Missy1978 sorted out the yoghurt for me thanks - it is 1 syn.
The meal was great thank you - will definitely have it again. Bought bags of dried soya "meat" but never been in a restaurant that sold only soya food.
With regards to the insects I have a husband that will eat anything and when we were in Thailand the local kids thought it was great that he would sit and eat with them and they all had a mixed grill of insects - yuk.

Don't know what happened with the pics - can't seem to get the labels off :confused:

Looks like Weetabix for breakfast now - just been shopping and found some but they were almost double the UK price but better than trying to find something to eat every morning that I don't really want.

Last edited:
WEDNESDAY 6TH MARCH
BREAKFAST
As yesterday HEX A - HEX B - 2 SYNS

LUNCH
Spring Rolls with salad, Bok Choy and dressing 1 SYN - ( looks a big meal but the plates are quite small).
Fruit and Yoghurt - 1 SYN

3-SPRINGROLLSWITHSALADANDBOKCHOY_zps63a83062.jpg

DINNER
Invited to a friends for dinner and knowing I am veggie said she would show me how to make Tofu and Mixed Mushroom soup and Aubergine with Spring Onions Vietnamese style so under supervison I made the soup which was really easy to make and very tasty and no oil but the Aubergine used quite alot so will have to give that 2 SYNS and ate it before I remembered to photograph it.

2-TOFUANDMUSHROOMSOUP_zpsefeec612.jpg

A good veggie stock, mixed mushrooms, onions, tomato, coriander and soya sauce.

TOTAL
HEX A - HEX B - 6 SYNS plus 2 chocolate drinks 5 and 1 Tonic Water 4 !!! = 15 Did not know the Tonic Water had sugar in it until later or would not have drunk it.

14.810 Steps

Last edited:
Found out how these people are so skinny - when I made the soup thought it was all mine but it was to put on the table for the 6 of us but luckily only 2 of us ate it. (OH was told by me not to touch it as there was loads of meat etc)
Our hosts ate from very tiny bowls and their plates were the size of saucers - all the food (lots of it) was on the table, everyone taking what they wanted, but they only took tiny amounts.There was lots of alcohol and they only had one small glass each (I had none :angel:) and said they buy one bottle a week for the family.

Quite pleased with myself today - walked past the banana fritter lady and then past the potato fritter lady - last week stopped at both of them. :drool:
Memo to self - keep out of those streets.

Back