GREEN DAYS ONLY - systemas diary

Son said that in Asia they are vegan and yes they are so ate one - my excuse - but did not have any more but the other 2 finished the packet.
Actually they look fine as they are the same colour-ish as chocolate. :D but actually after I ate it said they tasted of nowt except sugar and flour and didn't really like it.

Oh did not know they were vegan cos actually I have a kind of punk rock guy on dvd doing vegan cooking and he stressed that his oreos (for a cheesecake type thing) were the Paul Newman brand as these were vegan. I decided if I ever made the recipe I would do it with other biscuits as I hate the look of them. He scraped out the filling anyway a it was not needed. It was for a pineapple and sour cream type cheesecake (vegan stylee).

I put my cheese in the middle and made cake/rissole type things - lovely to have the melty bit in the middle :):0

I will be having the same tonight as it made far more cakes than I thought
will have linda mccartney sausages at 2 syns each - calories today are again low so need to get some fruit to bump them up a bit :):)

Hello! Spotted you on another diary and though I would look for your diary. Your food looks amazing!! Definitely think I'll find some veggie inspiration here.
Hope you have a nice holiday :) xx

I shall be very interested to see your pictures! Its so interesting to see how veggie food is treated in other countries. Good luck for WI on Friday! x

This is not my food but what son (vegan) has for his lunch. I does taste good but I have no idea of SYNS etc so only have a taster. All made from Soya products but so real looking.:eek:

zzz-VEGANLUNCH2_zps2e63a8e8.jpg

The "chicken leg" has a lemon grass stalk through it for the bone and the other piece is "stuffed pork".
The shredded pieces on the left look so much like chicken but are some kind of vegetable.

zzzz-tinnedsteaktofu_zpscd491aaf.jpg

This is "steak" out of a tin - even the gravy looks realistic.

Think he would stay here if only for the food. He took the top photo - the reason it is not on a plate:rolleyes:

I can't get over these pics!! They're so real looking!! Amazing!

Does your son have any tips for going vegan?how,long has he been doing it now? Xxx

He has been Vegan for more that 25 years - started off for a while as veggie whilst he learned about being Vegan.

He said the worst thing for him was learning to live without cheese and now he doesn't eat the vegan cheese as he thinks it tastes of nothing. Also he eats cereals with only water on them, buys the best oats he can and says he can do without the milk.

Like the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared..... :D - cook for your freezer and buy a steamer and then you can take out the prepared main food and add steamed vegetables - or you will end up living on breakfast cereal like he did in the beginning.
Always keep cooked rice in the freezer so you can knock up a stir-fry quickly. Spices, spices and more spices.
He also cooks with a pressure cooker for beans and lentils and slow cooks some food when he has time to make it in the morning before he goes to work then it is ready when he arrives home.

Quorn is ok for Veggies but not for Vegans as it contains egg white.

If I remember anything else will let you know.

Doing SW and trying to be a new Vegan will be a big ask to start with - learn about being a veggie on SW first then progress to being Vegan. Plan ahead, with your job it must be easiest to just grab a sandwich when you come from work (usually cheese when you are a veggie :)). I don't have much else to do but still plan in my head what I am going to eat for a couple of days, saves on buying stuff you are not going to eat and forgetting to buy other.
Anyway Good Luck with both SW and being Veggie/Vegan

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts - will get back to you later.

Just going to the hospital and hopefully the dreaded weigh in. Do I eat breakfast - will I weigh less if I don't eat 2 boiled eggs and a banana -- questions questions.:D

Just going to the hospital and hopefully the dreaded weigh in. Do I eat breakfast - will I weigh less if I don't eat 2 boiled eggs and a banana -- questions questions.:D

Oooh good luck! I'm gonna say eat the brekkie, you'll feel better for it and not eating before WI is a bad habit to get into! ;) x

Does your son have any tips for going vegan?how,long has he been doing it now? Xxx

He has been Vegan for more that 25 years - started off for a while as veggie whilst he learned about being Vegan.

He said the worst thing for him was learning to live without cheese and now he doesn't eat the vegan cheese as he thinks it tastes of nothing. Also he eats cereals with only water on them, buys the best oats he can and says he can do without the milk.

Like the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared..... :D - cook for your freezer and buy a steamer and then you can take out the prepared main food and add steamed vegetables - or you will end up living on breakfast cereal like he did in the beginning.
Always keep cooked rice in the freezer so you can knock up a stir-fry quickly. Spices, spices and more spices.
He also cooks with a pressure cooker for beans and lentils and slow cooks some food when he has time to make it in the morning before he goes to work then it is ready when he arrives home.

Quorn is ok for Veggies but not for Vegans as it contains egg white.

If I remember anything else will let you know.

Doing SW and trying to be a new Vegan will be a big ask to start with - learn about being a veggie on SW first then progress to being Vegan. Plan ahead, with your job it must be easiest to just grab a sandwich when you come from work (usually cheese when you are a veggie :)). I don't have much else to do but still plan in my head what I am going to eat for a couple of days, saves on buying stuff you are not going to eat and forgetting to buy other.
Anyway Good Luck with both SW and being Veggie/Vegan

FANTASTIC advice there
Systema I hope you dont mind me adding a bit extra
good for protein are tofu - which can be had creamed if you buy the soft stuff soya products - I use the cream in some meals like brocolli and tofu bake (use tofu in place of brie
another good for protein is quinoa - its good to keep some of that cooked as with fruit mixed in it makes a lovely breakfast and is also good for a rice replacement in meals requiring rice
here is a list of things to be aware of in some foods that LOOK like they will be veggie or vegan and arent

Breakfast cereals: can contain milk, vitamin D3 or honey
Cereal bars: many contain honey
Thai curry paste: often contains fish, although some brands don’t
Margarines and spreads: most margarines and spreads contain milk products and/or vitamin D3; however there are some vegan brands available, such as the Pure dairy-free spreads which are available from most supermarkets.
Jelly: check it isn’t made with gelatine
Sweets and marshmallows: often made with gelatine
Stock powders: can contain milk products
‘Veggie’ burgers or sausages: many contain milk or eggs, including Quorn which is never suitable for vegans
Worcestershire sauce: contains fish. Vegan versions are available in the ‘free from’ section at the supermarket or from wholefoods shops
Alcoholic drinks: some are filtered using animal products, particularly beers, wines and ciders
Orange-coloured soft drinks: some (but not all) contain gelatine as a carrier for the colour beta-carotene, but are not required to state on the packaging that they contain gelatine as it is not considered an ingredient
Fresh pasta: often made with eggs. Dried pasta is usually suitable for vegans
Noodles: can be made with eggs. Look for (non-egg) wheat noodles or rice noodles instead
Dark chocolate: often contains milk ingredients in the UK

so to start with you will be looking at ingredients in detail
dont forget to re read if it says new improved recipe etc

also there is a list of things in every day life to look out for such as beeswax or lanolin in household products or cosmetics

HTH

H xxx

Oooh good luck! I'm gonna say eat the brekkie, you'll feel better for it and not eating before WI is a bad habit to get into! ;) x

YES do as she tells you eat that breakfast :):)

good luck at the hospital
H xx

Good luck on the weigh in Systema- I lost 3.5 lb this week so really chuffed. This was despite the free doughnut I had in the part - not free on syns but free of £. I went for a walk in the local park with some other people. We went to the cafe for a cuppa and just before closing she gave us some doughnuts she was going to chuck. It would have been morally wrong to turn that down :)(not that I like doughnuts much, but still...)

FANTASTIC advice there
Systema I hope you dont mind me adding a bit extra
good for protein are tofu - which can be had creamed if you buy the soft stuff soya products - I use the cream in some meals like brocolli and tofu bake (use tofu in place of brie
another good for protein is quinoa - its good to keep some of that cooked as with fruit mixed in it makes a lovely breakfast and is also good for a rice replacement in meals requiring rice
here is a list of things to be aware of in some foods that LOOK like they will be veggie or vegan and arent

Breakfast cereals: can contain milk, vitamin D3 or honey
Cereal bars: many contain honey
Thai curry paste: often contains fish, although some brands don't
Margarines and spreads: most margarines and spreads contain milk products and/or vitamin D3; however there are some vegan brands available, such as the Pure dairy-free spreads which are available from most supermarkets.
Jelly: check it isn't made with gelatine
Sweets and marshmallows: often made with gelatine
Stock powders: can contain milk products
'Veggie' burgers or sausages: many contain milk or eggs, including Quorn which is never suitable for vegans
Worcestershire sauce: contains fish. Vegan versions are available in the 'free from' section at the supermarket or from wholefoods shops
Alcoholic drinks: some are filtered using animal products, particularly beers, wines and ciders
Orange-coloured soft drinks: some (but not all) contain gelatine as a carrier for the colour beta-carotene, but are not required to state on the packaging that they contain gelatine as it is not considered an ingredient
Fresh pasta: often made with eggs. Dried pasta is usually suitable for vegans
Noodles: can be made with eggs. Look for (non-egg) wheat noodles or rice noodles instead
Dark chocolate: often contains milk ingredients in the UK

so to start with you will be looking at ingredients in detail
dont forget to re read if it says new improved recipe etc

also there is a list of things in every day life to look out for such as beeswax or lanolin in household products or cosmetics

HTH

H xxx

YES do as she tells you eat that breakfast :):)

good luck at the hospital
H xx

Thankyou both so much for the advice! Yeah I've been checking labEls like a mad man, surprising what is in some things! it's going to.be a long process, im making little changes, hopefully ill get there in the end! Saw online about the alcohol and animals too, would NEVER have thought that! Yuk!
Thankyou again so much! X

Wonderful advice there! Check out the vegan society website too - lots of useful bits and bobs. Just to mention hair and body products too - a lot of conditioners and moisturisers contain lanolin so I would recommend checking out Lush, I can't remember the exact percentage but a lot of the their products are vegan and all are veggie.

I was going to say about wine and beer - it can be cleared or "fined" with egg whites or sturgeons swim bladder and red wine with bulls blood :( nice. The Coop is a good place to get wine as theirs is marked if it is Vegan.

Back from the hospital. I last got weighed at the end of January and weighed 72kg and could possibly have put some more on until I started watching what I ate from 4th March. Today I weighed 68ks which is 10st. 10lbs so going in the right direction - 4kgs or 8.8lbs. off.

Thank you all - trouble will start in a couple of weeks when I get back and have the same temptations as you all.:sigh: and not walking weather, that is what I am dreading the most as I have got used to walking a lot.
Glad I found the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's on Youtube.

you will be fine when you get back and the weather will be better and you will have new areas to explore - what not to like :):)

do you know that I have had two doctors now ask me if I have thought of adding meat back into my diet - they said the multivits are not the same as getting stuff from real sources and it will automatically boast my b vits
I told them its something I have never thought of doing - I went veggie originally for health reasons and now I am being told that as I get older its backfiring on me - will need to take myself back to square one and do the nutrition thing all over again :):)

:)

Back