Has anyone else had this, or should I be worried?

lindseydodd408

Gold Member
So... it's 4am and this is the third night in a row where my sleep is being disturbed, it's driving me MAD!!!

Since Monday night my back has been killing me and I've been waking up extremely stiff. It losens over the day, but after a few hours of being in bed asleep I'm in pain again!

I've lost nearly two stone and most of the weight seems to have come off from my torso. I'm wondering if my back is adjusting to not having as much fat surrounding it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem when losing weight? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks. :cry:

Sorry, but I haven't. I have had a long term back problem, which has significantly improved recently - which I can only put down to losing some weight (still a way to go though!). However, I have had other aches and pains (tendonitis), due to some over zealous Wii fit activity! Have you been doing more exercise which could explain the aches and stiffness?

I don't reckon this is due to the weight loss, which would have reduced the stresses on your back. When we are asleep the muscles generally relax, so it's interesting that this is better during the day, when the muscles are actually being used. Have you tried stretching, and a heat pack? Are you taking an painkiller when you are waking up?
I wouldn't let this go on for too long, perhaps see a physio or someone. Good luck!

Hey hon,

Sounds like, if it continues, you should see a doctor. Losing weight should make it easier on your bones and joints, not harder. Have you been doing a lot of exercise recently? Have you bought a new pillow/bed/mattress/chair? Even new shoes can effect your back.

I used to have back trouble. If you suspect your back might be inflamed, it's best to pop some ibuprofen consistently for a week to calm down the area. I also recommend things like deep heat packs. And don't do any heavy lifting!

Thanks guys,

Strangest thing, I have now had painful raised red marks come up on the surface of my skin in the area where I am having the back pain... Perhaps this is an adverse reaction to a lack of CAKE!!!

I am going to pop some super strength ibuprofen for a few days and see if that helps, and make an appointment with doctor for next week.

x

Poor you - I've no idea what it could be, hopefully the doctor will have a solution ... if you pick up some ibuprofen from a chemist, it might be worth having a word with the pharmacist as they can often help while you wait for a GP appointment. Hope you get a good night's sleep soon x

Ok, been to the doctor and it's shingles!!!

I've been signed off work for a week. I don't know what I'm going to do. I've never been signed off work before. I'm going to end up sat in front of the bloody TV trying to ignore the hunger of boredom!!!

Of course! Why didn't I think of that before! My brother and dad both had it a few years ago. Although boredom might set in, the more you rest, the quicker the body tends to heal. Drink lots of fluid, and have a continuous supply of healthy snacks on hand for when food boredom hits. How about doing a jigsaw, or crosswords, or something ... or rent a huge pile of "been meaning to watch" dvds from Blockbusters or similar? Thinking of you and hope you get better real soon x

Wow, what exactly are shingles and how do you get them?

Shingles is caused by the same virus as chicken pox. When you have chicken pox the virus remains dormant near your spine. At my age the doctor says it can be re-awakened by stress. It travels to nerve endings in my case on one side of my torso mostly my back. It makes your skin hurt (I thought it was muscular because it was so painful) then you come out in a rash that blisters like pox.

It can be contagious to people who have not had chicken pox or people with low immunity... I work with teenagers and two of my colleagues are pregnant... so I'm quarentined for a week.

Doctor says because I'm young I should recover quickly, it can be really dangerous for the elderly.

I've only been signed off for 4 hours and I'm bored already!!!!

Thanks to everyone and their help and kind words. xxx

Poor you. I really sympathise, this only reminds me of when I had mumps this year (god knows how). But at least you'll be able to eat, I couldn't have anything at all. Worst week of my life! Just take it as a mini holiday :) kind of.

Back