Healthy Eating vs Dieting

I go to iceland because it has less treaty stuff and the frozen foods are very good and are a good price. I got all my food for the week for £15 and its all food I enjoy but is healthy. They dont have a fresh bakers in them another weakness for me. Frozen veg is now a lot better than it used to be nearly as good as fresh especially peas. Although I dont like peas. Good news I have lost 3lbs on my first week and because i'm eating foods I like not finding it any where near as hard to stick to it.:D

Morning ladies!
So, my weigh in today too and scraped 1lb. I was down 3 on tuesday but have had a few not perfect 1400 cal days, so was expecting it.
Not upset about it. I made good choices yesterday, but really think I need to cut back on carbs a bit. Im really not convinced that they like me very much, so I think a week of reducing them may be in order.
Yesterday was -
B- usual 2 toast and sliced banana
S - fruit and ww lemon biscuits
L - slice brown soda bread with ham, coleslaw and lettuce
S - fruit
D - bbq grilled chicken with left over pilau rice and saag dhal and a sausage (eek)
I also did half hour of cardio at the gym.

Something is slowing my body down. I am in the gym 6 days a week, doing a minimum of 45 minutes intense cardio, so as I said, going to cut back on my carbs.
Have a lovely day xxx

I go to iceland because it has less treaty stuff and the frozen foods are very good and are a good price. I got all my food for the week for £15 and its all food I enjoy but is healthy. They dont have a fresh bakers in them another weakness for me. Frozen veg is now a lot better than it used to be nearly as good as fresh especially peas. Although I dont like peas. Good news I have lost 3lbs on my first week and because i'm eating foods I like not finding it any where near as hard to stick to it.:D

Crossed post there K,
Congrats on the 3lbs. Yay, just goes to show.
have a good day.
x

Hi There, I am happy to help get this forum going, I am using a tool currently called the diet plate, its a special calibrated plate and bowl to help with portion control :)

I am currently a size 22 and want to get down to a size 10, I havent weighed myself at all for two months since I gave them away, weighing oneself can get obsessive. Anyway i have had these plates for a couple of weeks and I would say they help with the food part and also I home cook, everything from scratch, well apart from bread lol when I was dieting I was eating differently from my children and thought that wasn't good surely if i wasnt prepared to eat what they did then they aren't eating the right foods, so now using my plates I eat what they have but on these special plates and i can feel a difference in my clothes.

I have a before pic taken so when I am confident I have whittled my size down a bit I will post it with a progress pic :)
Anyway if anything me and my family eat together and we dont much processed food, also I dont buy biscuits or chocolate, we have lots of fruit and yoghurts(probiotic yoghurt basic ones from sainsburys, only 15p for four of them!) in and eat freely of those, my younger girls dont miss them but my 15 year does, shes always saying she craves chocolate lol!!

Morning peeps. Am very pleased to report 4lbs gone since sunday. That really has amazed me because we had a bbq on monday,which trust me i didnt hold back !! and I havent really noticed the little changes I have made. This convinces me that I am doing the right thing. I know I wont loose 4 every week but i feel its a mighty good start.

Been chatting with my hubby this am, when i gave up dieting in early march i found it really liberating and felt much better mentally-he has noticed the difference in me,but rather than maintain i have had a slow and steady weight gain to the point that its undoing all the good work I've done to this point-feeling uncomfortable physically and mentally unhappier. But this week I havent felt like I am dieting ( which i really dont want to do) and have provved the point that small changes really can have big effects.

The other thing I have picked up on is protein- I dont get enough. Tracking my food thru sparkpeople which logs cals/fat/carbs and protein i have noticed that all areas are ok appart from the protein. This all falls into place for me-a few years ago I did Ian Marbers A list diet with success i have to say but i found it a bit restrictive in what foods you could combine. It was a bit faffy and i dont think I could keep it up for life BUT one of the big things i got from that was that protein fills me up just as much as carbs and i did feel really good at the time,so I am definately going to try and up my protein.

Sorry to ramble but i like to get things down in words-helps get them straight in my head

Proteins good people just automatically think red meat I think is the problem when you can do nice chicken and fish dishes aswell. Protein is what gives you energy boost. carbs do it over a long time. Thats why its best to have a mix of all foods. Glad you got it sorted in your head sometimes I get like that hehe:8855:

Have had a reasonably good day foodwise. havent tracked it yet but think am under on cals.

B poached egg on wholemeal toast
L subway spicy italian ( yeah i know not a healthy choice but it was my treat for the week !!)
D roast veg( bns,onions,cherry toms and black olives) done in olive olil with rosemary, Quorn lamb grills,cauliflower
Snacks- banana, 1slice wholemeal bread with low fat spread and small lump of brie

Well done Kamwendo and MommyB on those losses. :D

I'm dancing a jig becaue 5lbs came off this week. :bliss: My knees will be so grateful. :D

AOGG/mommyB - I too went throught the stage of throwing the scales out and feeling that massive freedom from quiting dieting.
I gradually put more weight on again too but I still believe it was an important part of my journey forward because I lost the fear of the scales during that time.
Now it really is just numbers to me and I don't hyperventilate prior to jumping on them. :p

I love that for the most part the family eat the same and it doesn't feel like I'm doing something temporary until I can get 'back to normal.'

I've turned my love of cooking and needing to cook from scratch into an advantage for me as I love playing with recipes and adding variety to our food. I could read cookbooks like novels. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'll quit rambling and wish you all a happy, healthy weekend. :D

Im not sure about that C. Ive been doing a lot of thinking and realised, I havent been writing things down, and tracking properly. Slipped into the "fooling myself" pattern the past week, and not measuring, and had a few days where I ate more than I should have, so am going to be much stricter re weighing etc, and cut back on the ole white carbs, which dont really like me very much! Ive only this week until I go on holiday, and am prepared to slip into holiday brain, but am going to try my best not to. I want t be able to live my healthy life without thinking of it as something that has to be done, rather than my lifestyle.
Will see.
xx

Thats a very good way of looking at it-yes you will have some treats on holiday ,bit in general you diet ( by which i mean your way of eating not loosing weight ) doesnt need to be any different. Looking forward to that aspect of ours this year as we are going on our own, The friends we usually go with love nibbkes and drinks in the evening and i cant resist if its in front of me LOL. Not saying we wont have any,but can be more in control myself IYKWIM

anyway my food plan for today

B oatso simple
L makerel in tom sauce on toast with a bit of cheese on top
D thai red pork curry with noodles

and since its saturday nigth there will be wine !!!

May be going to a family party this afternoon, will need to wear my cloak of resistance !!

Ooooo... this is interesting - I have always been a fan of Healthy Eating rather than dieting. I maintain that I am on a journey for life. This journey was going well until life took a downturn just before Christmas 2008 and my get up and go got up and went. I know it's there somewhere and I said before I went away on holiday last week that I was going to search for the umph that motivated me two years ago this month and lost me 30 lbs by that December - all I might add with Healthy Eating plus controlled treats x

Yay Gem,
The number one healthy eater!! You may have a few squatters, but you have never swayed from the healthy eating ethos. I think we can all learn some good tricks here!!

Just been to the gym - 50 mins cardio, strength exercises and 20 laps of the pool, and I am now so enjoying a bowl of spicy butternut sq and sweet potato soup with big handful of sprouted beans and a mackerel salad with homegrown lettuce, spring onion, carrot, tomatoes, cukes, sprouted beans, seeds, and a tspn lf honey and mustard dressing - mondo healthy!!

Hey Clarri... have just stumbled upon this part of the forum, didn't even realise it existed. Have been wondering what to do foodwise as I'm just so fed up counting, weighing, restricting things... have been thinking that what really is the issue is my head & relationship with food, controlling my cravings & actually allowing myself to feel hungry.

One thing I have learnt so far this year is that carbs control me.. all my time on Atkins was pretty easy so low carbing is something I am going to have incorporate in any eating plan I do.

xxx

When I was much younger I used to diet but dieting just made me think like a dieter - it wasn't really a lifestyle and when I got fed up of dieting I just piled back on with a few more for good measure. I got to thinking what I wanted out of a lifestyle and it defo wasn't this yo-you thing that was happening.

I began to think about healthy eating and what it meant to give the body what it needed. Although I was still overweight I was basically eating a healthy diet - the problem was that I was eating other stuff too. That is what is happening now - I have a healthy diet with a fair smattering of not so healthy extras. Once I am "in the zone" I don't really have to do much about my basic diet - just "cut the crap" if you pardon my expression. I am realistic enough to know that I need to allow some of these "naughty extras" into my life - just controlled, not too much and not too often.

In short, I know what I need to eat to be healthy. When things are working out right I don't count calories (although I am aware of their existence and relevance) and I don't deny myself the odd treat now and then. This can and does promote weightloss without hunger, angst or deprivation. It is all about making some good choices and sticking with them x

clarri - my doctor suggested quite a while back that I kept a food diary just to note my patterns of eating and I've found it really helpful.
I've noticed that when I don't jot my food down (or plan my meals) that I easy go off target if it continues for long.

BTW I love Portugal. Went a couple of times s/catering and had a whale of a time buying things from the lovely markets and butchers and cooking. Happy memories of lemons the size of melons and the almond blossom trees were so beautiful!

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and stumbled upon this section. I started to really think about losing weight at the start of April and so far have lost two stone really just by trying to eat more healthy rather than dieting. I'm starting to hit the wall though where i'm starting to get bored of the healthy stuff but reading through what some of you have said here it's really given me some ideas. I think keeping a diary is a great idea and something i'm definitely going to do from now on also I need to hunt down some new recipes too I think!

J x

Evening all. Not sure if i have really embraced healthy eating this weekend and am feeling a bit dispondant.
It didnt help seeing my sis in law yesterday. This will sound awful but she's not my favourite person in the world and has always been bigger than me. It has always kinda make me feel good. But yesterday she had clearly lost weight. It was kinda hard to judge how we compred cos she was wearing a wedding dress ( a themed party ) but you could clearly see it in her face and I was really jealous !!!

But tomorrow is a new week and I am going to change nothing by sulking about it. 1st thing on the list tomorrow is shopping so a chance to stock up on the right stuff !!!

Back