Healthy Eating vs Dieting

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and stumbled upon this section. I started to really think about losing weight at the start of April and so far have lost two stone really just by trying to eat more healthy rather than dieting. I'm starting to hit the wall though where i'm starting to get bored of the healthy stuff but reading through what some of you have said here it's really given me some ideas. I think keeping a diary is a great idea and something i'm definitely going to do from now on also I need to hunt down some new recipes too I think!

J x

Hi there

If the 2 stone has gone just from April, that is quite a high level loss - maybe you have hit the wall because your body has gone on "starvation mode", as in "Help, she's starving me, must lay down fat supplies in case I need it".

Maybe step up the intake a little to get the metabolism moving again x :)

Londongirl - I've found BBCgoodfood site to be wonderful for finding new recipes and shaking things up a little with our food. It really helps that people leave their own reviews and how they've tweaked the recipes, sometimes making them even more healthy or tasty.
I don't only look in their low cal/healthy eating section but in all because most are fine if you apply a bit of common sense. :)

Not sure what I'm eating today as I've just found out my nephew has been invited to tea :rolleyes: so that means my share of the Chicken Korma is gone. :cool:

Oh well, off the cuff I think it'll have to go like this:

Weetabix x 2
Spicy chicken wrap(s) with salad
Egg salad sandwich

Shall work some fruit into that and another pineapple lolly, I think. :)

Last edited:
Evening all. Not sure if i have really embraced healthy eating this weekend and am feeling a bit dispondant.
It didnt help seeing my sis in law yesterday. This will sound awful but she's not my favourite person in the world and has always been bigger than me. It has always kinda make me feel good. But yesterday she had clearly lost weight. It was kinda hard to judge how we compred cos she was wearing a wedding dress ( a themed party ) but you could clearly see it in her face and I was really jealous !!!

But tomorrow is a new week and I am going to change nothing by sulking about it. 1st thing on the list tomorrow is shopping so a chance to stock up on the right stuff !!!

Ive just said to someone else that we are on our individual journeys, and no two of us are the same. At least you dont have to see her often, so continue on your journey and enjoy it.

Hugs.
xx

Hi,

Well, Ive tried to go the healthy eating route this weekend, but with impending TOM, and holiday, my brain is just fighting with me. When I used to do this before I would end up on a binge cycle, so am stepping back a step and removing pressure from myself. This doesnt mean Im going to eat rubbish, but Im just not going to beat myself up about not sticking totally to my plan.

And on foot of that - I had a cooked brekkie this morning!! But did make better choices than in the past - 1 sausage instead of 2, grilled, etc, but did have bread and butter, which was orgasmic!!! :8855:
Will not go ott for the rest of the day, will see how the day goes. Off to the gym shortly, and swimming too.
x

So far today I have had

B-2 weetabix with skimmed milk
s-special k bar
L asda spicy chicken and couscous salad with 1 slice granary bread and low fat spread. WW rice pud.

Havent tracked the cals yet but seems ok so far.

Hey - I've been fairly good today - Porridge and blueberries with honey and cinnamon for breckie, a light choices Tesco egg and cress sarnie for lunch. Then :rolleyes: someone went and left a humungous box of broken biscuits on the staff room table - I caved slightly and had a couple as chocolate was involved but as someone else remarked "Are there really calories in broken biscuits?" :p

I'm having a bean cutlet with steamed veggies and baby jackets tonight with either fresh fruit salad or yogurt for pud x :)

B-2 weetabix with skimmed milk
s-special k bar
L asda spicy chicken and couscous salad with 1 slice granary bread and low fat spread. WW rice pud.
s-Banana
D-Thai red pork curry with fresh egg noodles

Right, as this is a healthy eating forum, Im going to skip today!! :eek::eek:
I have tomorrow planned, so am going to post it now -
B - 2 toast (sunflower wholewheat) sliced banana
S - 2 caramel rice cakes, apple
L - spicy BNS and sw pot soup, mackerel in brine on dark ryvita
S - Yoghurt
D - brown basmati rice, stirfried chicken mixed veg

Nice and healthy.

xx

OK - here we go:

Breckie - Porridge, blueberries, honey & cinnamon

Lunch - Philly light/salad roll, Yogurt

Snack - Banana (hopefully the biscuits will be gone before I get tempted)

Dinner - Piece thin pizza, few wedges & salad - Fruit salad for pud

And here's my meals to add as well. :)

2 x weetabix
Chicken fried rice with loads of stirfry veg
Sml portion of mushroom pasta with salad.

Adding lots of fruit (dried & fresh) to snack on.

As my garden is usually my 'gym' but there's no chance of working out on jobs out there with all this rain, I think I'll give the downstairs a real going over today and get that blood pumping. :D

hello all
Hope you dont mind me jumping on the bandwagon!
For a few weeks (months!) now, I have been feeling really despondant with 'dieting', and inevitably falling into the diet / binge / gain cycle.

I chose to start 'healthy eating' about 2 weeks ago, and i have to say im finding it daunting for me to finally be in charge of what i am eating, rather than following a plan of what i can / cant have.

However, its great to read there are a few of us in the same boat, who have decided to ditch the diet and do it the healthy way!

today, my menu reads:

B - crunchy nut cornfakes, skim milk (not so healthy i agree, but using up the box!)
L - Baxters lentil & veg soup, 2 x wholemeal bread. Mullerlight
D - Mackeral, JP and salad.
S - Banana, Blueberries.
Gym - 1 hour body combat, 30 mins cardio.

good luck everyone x

Just flying in for a quick read up and wanted to say hi Nattymo. :)

Having to adjust my menu today as no way do I need the mushroom pasta tonight. The chicken rice was gorgeous but I must have had a little much as its teatime and I'm not hungry at all.
It was a really lovely recipe from the 'hate to waste food' site. (or something like that).

Shall probably have fruit tonight and have done.

Hope you're all enjoying your food and eating well.:D

Hi Nattymo - I like the way this is growing. Healthy eating has always been a "hobby horse" of mine so it's good to know it's taking its place on here x

Well I've mostly stuck to my guns today. I managed to avoid the remainder of the biscuit box on the staff room table, then caved in with a couple of those wonderful choccie biccies with the caramel layer that someone thoughtfully brought to the training meeting to relieve the boredom. I still think I've done quite well though so I'm not bovvered - no part of my chocolate stained face looks bovvered innit x

Quite pleased with how things went, too. It was a tricky moment when my parents brought a huge carrier of rhubarb when they called in. Now I love rhubarb and must seriously find some healthier uses for it than crumble - my all time favourite!

Still, crumble was made and eaten with a little ice cream and as gemstone said :airquote: 'I wasn't bovvered.' :D

Menu planned is:

2 x weetabix
Boiled egg and bread fingers - banana
Cheese & leek stuffed jacket spud with salad.

I'll snack on fruit and dried apricots/raisins and have a pot of mixed fruit in juice with some evap as a supper treat. :)

Natty- what does JP stand for in your dinner yesterday? :confused:

Quite pleased with how things went, too. It was a tricky moment when my parents brought a huge carrier of rhubarb when they called in. Now I love rhubarb and must seriously find some healthier uses for it than crumble - my all time favourite!

Still, crumble was made and eaten with a little ice cream and as gemstone said :airquote: 'I wasn't bovvered.' :D

Menu planned is:

2 x weetabix
Boiled egg and bread fingers - banana
Cheese & leek stuffed jacket spud with salad.

I'll snack on fruit and dried apricots/raisins and have a pot of mixed fruit in juice with some evap as a supper treat. :)

Natty- what does JP stand for in your dinner yesterday? :confused:
Jacket Potato I think Crumble, and talking of which - crumble - mmmmm.
Food looks good today. Have a good one!
xx

Well I've mostly stuck to my guns today. I managed to avoid the remainder of the biscuit box on the staff room table, then caved in with a couple of those wonderful choccie biccies with the caramel layer that someone thoughtfully brought to the training meeting to relieve the boredom. I still think I've done quite well though so I'm not bovvered - no part of my chocolate stained face looks bovvered innit x
Love your choccie stained face Gem!!
Hope today is better lovely.
xx

I had a really bad emotional eating day yesterday which culminated in less than healthy eating, so today Im taming the emotional eating beast!!
B - boiled egg, 3 dark ryvita scraping of spread
L - spicy bns soup, 2 ryvita, mackerel
D - marinated pork chop, pots, mixed veg
Snacking on fruit, rice cakes if needed.

Have a great day.
xx

Back