Heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by RachelN76, 1 June 2010 Social URL.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st12lb(21.51%)
    Diet:
    SlimFast
    I quite fancy getting a heart rate monitor now i'm exercising a bit more. Partly because I love gadgets really, but also so I can make sure i'm working hard enough.

But I don't suppose anyone knows which are good ones, which ones might link to the TechnoGym equipment at the gym, and most importantly, do i have to wear a chest strap with all of them, or are some of them wrist watches only?

I just can't see myself wearing a chest strap - I have enough issues with my sports bra without trying to wear something else as well. but if it was just a wrist watch type thing, then I'd definitely get one.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Kes

Kes Gold Member

Start Weight:
    232lb
    Current Weight:
    179.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    140lb
    Lost(%):
    52.2lb(22.5%)
    Diet:
    was on Slim Fast but changed to Slimming world and Xenical
    im trying to find this out also! i would love one that count the calories too... which would be handy.... hmmm might do some research and ill get back to you

4. slimmarach

slimmarach will be size 10

Start Weight:
    19st12lb
    Current Weight:
    21st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    -1st10lb(-8.63%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting, clean eating
    Hi. I have a tesco one which you use a strap with and i have to say it is brilliant. Very accurate and can use it along with gym equipment. My friend is a personal trainer and recommended it to me. Only cost £20.Now when i workout i know i am working at my fat burn rate and not just throwing myself around and getting nowhere lol !!

5. RachelN76

RachelN76 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st12lb(21.51%)
    Diet:
    SlimFast
    Well I went to the sports shop today and bought one, but I'm not really impressed.
    You don't need a chest strap with it, but I thought that I would just wear it as a watch and it would give a constant readout of my heart rate. But it doesn't. You have to hold your finger to the sensor for 5-8 secs for it to give a read out, and you have to be fairly still while you do this - what use is that if I'm jogging at the time!

Also, I'm really small (not weight wise obviously), but I have really small wrists and fingers and stuff, and i really struggle to get it to work. i think because I can't get good contact because I'm too small.
    I think I'm probably going to take it back because it really doesn't work for me.

6. londongirl

londongirl Member

Hey,

I got polar ladies heart monitor which has been good so far. You need to wear the chest strap with it which I wasn't keen on at first but I've started to forget i'm even wearing it now. It was a about £50 which quite pricey but it stores every exercise you do which I've found really helpful. Plus Rachel, I had the same problem with wrist size but I managed to get a ladies version which really helped.

J x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.