hello and advice please

she had lump and 8 lymph nodes removed but consultant found something in 2 of the nodes so back in last week to have rest of the nodes removed so will see the consultant again tomorrow to see what if anything they found. on a brighter note oh is working again, so guess after my free 12 gym membership is up i will have to start paying again as the gym would only refer payment for 6 months and i have to give 3 months notice to cancel.

scales still say 11st 8 and i have grown a bit up to 5ft 1. really will have to rethink weigh in place.

Last edited:
im laughing now. I forgot to weigh in on friday so thought I would do Monday or Tuesday with you. I have bought lots of fruit and healthy foods and so far managed to stick to healthy for two days and bingeing on fruit when needed which cant be all bad. Also as its totm i have some green and blacks dark choc but only managing a bit of it as it just helps relieve the craving. So far so good - feel like i might have lost some of the holiday fat I accumulated. Might be closer to 12 now. Going to start pilates dvd too - even if its just the 10 minute solutions one as its better than what im doing now. x ps todays aim is water water water

my aim is not to buy another giant slice of carrot cake from the continental market that is here till monday evening, but it was lovelllllly.

all in moderation is ok.
weighed in this morning at 12 stone so the healthy eating clearly does work - just have to have the motivation to stick to it.

well scales have not moved but the good news is i am back to my normal height, i feel that i have lost and checked on the scales in work 2 mins before going round to boots and they said 11st 7 so i am happy enough.

hi just popping in, looks like you both are in the right frame of mind, good luck both of you with future weigh ins.

thanks georgiestar. how are you doing?

well done fb 11st 7. well i weighed in this morning and i think it was 11st 13 - just below the 12 mark so must be. i have a stressful 4 weeks with study so might not be on as much but will aim to come on once a week at least and record weight. I wanna be 11st 7 too!!!!!! lol
x

hey fb, i managed to resist!! went to the cinema last night and all i had was a diet coke instead of the usual nachos or popcorn. hope you and family are doing ok. x

well scales still say 11st 8lbs but also say i am 4ft 9 so something is really wrong with boots scales.i am annoyed, i did get a refund of my money but that is not the point this week i do not know if i have lost, i knew in myself that i have but want to see it on the scales.

Hi bunny, noticed you're in Belfast, I'm not far outside it myself. Just wondering if those were the Boots scales in Forestside? They've given me some very strange height readings, too. Think it's a bad sign that they wobble when you step on!

Hope your weight loss is going well. :)

hi fb
still managing to stick with it. so glad its the weekend. hope youre ok. x

just a quickone to say i weighed on and lost a pound. thats nothing to shout about but if continues i will be happy. x

Hi bunny, noticed you're in Belfast, I'm not far outside it myself. Just wondering if those were the Boots scales in Forestside? They've given me some very strange height readings, too. Think it's a bad sign that they wobble when you step on!

Hope your weight loss is going well. :)
they are the scales at boots at the end of great northern mall in gt victoria street by the bus station.

i have been working at the election on thursday and then the verification and the count on friday and monday and my fridge/freezer stopped working over the week end so healthy eating took a back seat.

Although you posted your first question last year, I can answer it for you. Why are you only loosing x amount of fat when you do loads and loads of stuff at the gym? Because you are using the wrong muscle fibres. But do remember that you should only really want to loose around 1-3lbs of fat a week, anymore than this and it could be potentially dangerous. Only a doctor could make that decision for an individual however, so a visit to the GP would be necessary.

But anyway, you have different types of muscle fibres in your body, each of which use a different source of energy. There are muscle fibres which use stored fat as energy, and it is these fibres you need to be using to burn fat. And the only way to use these fibres is with LOW intensity exercise.

It's quite plausible that if you've been doing those miles on the treadmill at quite a quick pace (jogging or running) then you are in fact improving your cardiovascular system (heart and lungs efficiency at delivering oxygen to muscles) and not burning fat. The "calories" part of the cardio machines is NOT fat! Those calories can be fat or they can simply be glucose (the fuel your body prefers for high intensity exercise) which are made by you body using mostly carbohydrates.

All in all, I suggest you briskly walk on the treadmill and leave out the weights for a different day separate from the cardio, or if not possible or you just don't want to bother with different days for resistance training, do them after the cardio session. And don't decide on how well you've done based on the number under the "calories" part of the machine!! A brisk walk for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week is fantastic!

It's not about going as fast as you can, as hard as you can! It's about keeping your heart rate high enough to be burning fat, and low enough not to be using other muscle fibres and using other energy sources.

Good luck and all the best! If any of the above is confusing, do say and I'll try to explain further. Good on you for going to the gym!! I can imagine it's hard for people who have excess fat and want to loose it to go to the gym and keep it up.

Last edited:
Although you posted your first question last year, I can answer it for you. Why are you only loosing x amount of fat when you do loads and loads of stuff at the gym? Because you are using the wrong muscle fibres. But do remember that you should only really want to loose around 1-3lbs of fat a week, anymore than this and it could be potentially dangerous. Only a doctor could make that decision for an individual however, so a visit to the GP would be necessary.

But anyway, you have different types of muscle fibres in your body, each of which use a different source of energy. There are muscle fibres which use stored fat as energy, and it is these fibres you need to be using to burn fat. And the only way to use these fibres is with LOW intensity exercise.

It's quite plausible that if you've been doing those miles on the treadmill at quite a quick pace (jogging or running) then you are in fact improving your cardiovascular system (heart and lungs efficiency at delivering oxygen to muscles) and not burning fat. The "calories" part of the cardio machines is NOT fat! Those calories can be fat or they can simply be glucose (the fuel your body prefers for high intensity exercise) which are made by you body using mostly carbohydrates.

All in all, I suggest you briskly walk on the treadmill and leave out the weights for a different day separate from the cardio, or if not possible or you just don't want to bother with different days for resistance training, do them after the cardio session. And don't decide on how well you've done based on the number under the "calories" part of the machine!! A brisk walk for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week is fantastic!

It's not about going as fast as you can, as hard as you can! It's about keeping your heart rate high enough to be burning fat, and low enough not to be using other muscle fibres and using other energy sources.

Good luck and all the best! If any of the above is confusing, do say and I'll try to explain further. Good on you for going to the gym!! I can imagine it's hard for people who have excess fat and want to loose it to go to the gym and keep it up.
thanks for the advise and insight to what goes on in the body when you are at the gym. i am now doing less gym and more brisk walking from work every day 2.3 miles a day.

Are you walking at a pace which you could also jog? If so, keep it up! If not, speed up a little. :D

Are you walking at a pace which you could also jog? If so, keep it up! If not, speed up a little. :D
i do walk at a quick pace, there are too many people about for me to jog home.

went a bit wrong as was in london for a conference so i ate what i was given. back on track from today. hope youre ok x

hi fb, just a quick one. I sts. Well i know I had creeped over 12 stone when i was in london so at least i have managed to get it back down. goal for next week - 2lbs. I CAN do it.
x

i am well, i am hanging in there, am running round like a headless chicken as i am going on holiday in 2 weeks and have to buy and pack for me and 2 kids and oh can do his own.

Back