Help! No Kitchen!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by -Tally-, 21 March 2011 Social URL.

1. -Tally-

-Tally- Silver Member

I'm getting a new kitchen and the work is starting next week. It's going to take approx 10 working days but hopefully less...new plastering, new electrics, new flooring...the works.

Now although it will be lovely when it's done, they're ripping out the old kitchen on day 1 and all white goods need to be moved out of the room. So apart from having no washing machine (nightmare!), I'll have no cooker.

What on earth am I going to do for 10 days (more including the weekends)?

I can do the toaster/microwave stuff for lunches as I don't have much then but dinners are going to be nearly impossible and so I'm panicking!

All I have mostly is veg and quorn, all of which need to be boiled or baked in the oven.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. letsgetlosing

letsgetlosing Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.23%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    u can cook alot of your veggies in the micro...not sure about quorn though...

4. Beegee

Beegee The Big One

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(39.03%)
    Diet:
    SW Online (Green)
    You can cook some of the quorn stuff in the microwave - the lamb steaks, the peppered steaks and the red onion burgers are all free and can be microwaved. Expensive though unless they're on offer. Other suggestions - packets of Ainsley couscous are low syn and just need a kettle, I chop up feta cheese into them and have lots of salad to pad it out a bit, or jacket potato and beans or cottage cheese with salad. Goodness, I feel for you, I'd be awfully stuck without an oven. Hope your new kitchen is worth the upheaval!

5. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    Might be a good time to treat yourself to a slow cooker if you don't already have one.

6. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

Diet:
    SW all the way
    I would try and eat out as much as possible tbh - it might even work out cheaper than microwave meals. Carverys, Harvester, and all those Chain restaurants like Zizzis and Pizza Express and Ask that do 2 for 1 deals. You could easily find a SW friendly meal in any of these places.

7. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I was going to suggest a slow cooker:D

My daughter's cooker is broke at the moment & I bought her some of those 'toastie bags'. Apparently you can cook allsorts in them, not just toasties, fish fingers, frozen chips; I suppose you could cook quorn burgers in there & have them with microwaved veg.

8. RacheyBaby

RacheyBaby Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(5.29%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm in the same situation, new kitchen gets fitted on Monday, got 2 weeks off work, gonna put my fridge and freezer in the hallway so I still have access to them. But struggling for ideas as to what to have. I'll have a microwave and toaster

9. x.squiggy.x

x.squiggy.x Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I feel your pain...when i had a new kitchen fit it was a nightmare!!! i was so stressed with all the mess! i vowed if i was to ever move house it would have to have a new kitchen so i would not have to go through it again!!

10. hazysummer

hazysummer Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I feel your pain, even though our refurb was 12 years ago, I remember it well!

crack out the bbq maybe? or see if anyone you know has a camping gaz stove - you can at least then stirfry ..

11. large_lump

large_lump Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(11.05%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting
    Why don't you just cook up meals this week and shove them in the freezer. Then they just need defrosting and microwaving and you'll still have proper meals? X

12. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

Diet:
    SW all the way
    I can't believe i didn't think of this!!!! Such a sensible idea! I will blame it on my chocolate starved brain i think!

13. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    Or go to Asda and fill your trolley with chickpea dahl and Uncle Ben's rice pouches...and paper plates and plastic forks :)

14. PurpleSky

PurpleSky banana phone

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(26.02%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Also the asda veggie chili is most nice recommend it for quick meals and if you can use micro wave jpsin them are ok :D

15. -Tally-

-Tally- Silver Member

Very good idea!! I have a couple of quorn curries frozen already so I might do some veg casseroles and fill the freezer with some bits like that. Can do boil in the bag rice in the microwave too, discovered that last night...plus pasta n sauce's. Will prolly live on smash and beans knowing me, lol.

It's going to be a difficult few weeks though, straight after the kitchen is done, am off on my hols for a week!

16. *honey

*honey Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13.5lb(8.33%)
    Diet:
    Slim fast
    yeah i was gonna say cook up stuff this week and freeze to reheat later on.
    slow cooker and steamer if you have them can do lots with, george foreman grill, ( can you tell i have a lot of gagets...lol)

17. ColJack

ColJack Gold Member

Start Weight:
    33st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st9lb
    Lost(%):
    13st8.5lb(40.75%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm sure that either Aldi or Lidl have a worktop single induction hob for sale at the moment ( or failing that Argos would )..
    you can get "health grills" ( aka, george forman grills etc.. ) for doing chicken etc..
    as said, a slow cooker is a good investment..
    you can also get small worktop ovens...
    a steamer would do for most vegies and can be used for fish and even hard "boiled" eggs..

I've toyed with the idea of re-tasking my old chip pan to boil vegies in.. it might work... :)

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. RegField

RegField Silver Member

Maybe a little late for you now, but I have just visited a friend of mine who is doing up a house and has no kitchen facilities. She bought a small portable gas ring from Lakeland for £17.99 (the gas cartridge costs £1.95). It is meant for use outdoors but can be used indoors with good ventilation, it comes in its own little carrying case and is really neat and easy to use.

20. ColJack

ColJack Gold Member

Start Weight:
    33st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st9lb
    Lost(%):
    13st8.5lb(40.75%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I don't see what the fuss is all about..
    when I moved into my flat, the first week I ripped out the kitchen..
    the units and some worktops were set up in the spare room ( across the hall ) and stayed in there for 2 1/2 YEARS!!! while I got round to doing the kitchen ( money ran out fast so I had to save up for a plasterer, gas fitter, and the units themselves.. )..
    I managed with no problems with a combi-microwave ( grill / oven / microwave ), a steamer, a kettle and a toaster..

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.