Help with SW chips

Nikkiwales

Hi

I've tried making SW chips couple of times now and they come out awful. I can't even eat them. How do you make yours?

I cut up potatoes, par boil for few mins. Drain saucepan and shake them up. Then spray in fry light and into the oven for 25 mins.

What am i doing wrong?

I think you need to boil them for a bit more, just until you can stick a knife through them and spray a bit more fry light on them.

I know what you mean about not eating them, i forgot to boil them the otherday and they were awful they were like bubbles and so dry lol x

I microwave mine instead of par boil, just cut them up in chip shape & then microwave them till softish (about 4 mins) & them let them cool & spray with frylight & cook in oven. It's loads quicker then par boiling

there are a few ways of doing them, I had a few failures that went in the bin at first, you can either make chip shapes or chunks of potato like saute potatoes,
this is what i do -
peel and rinse the pot's par boil until a knife just slips in,
drain all the water off and then put them back in the pan hold the lid on the pan and shake well this roughs up the edges a bit,
then add salt and pepper spray with fry lite and give another shake
put them on the non stick tray and cook for about 30 minutes electric 185
you have to keep a close eye on them as when they are cooked they spoil very quickly if you dont get them out,

for a variation and to make roasties with sunday dinner - prepare the same way but bigger chunks
when you get to the salt and pepper stage stir in a big squirt (if you got a squeezy bottle) or a dessert spoon if not of marmite, then put them in the oven and cook as before they come out delicious and not tasting of marmite and no sins for marmite

there are a few ways of doing them, I had a few failures that went in the bin at first, you can either make chip shapes or chunks of potato like saute potatoes,
this is what i do -
peel and rinse the pot's par boil until a knife just slips in,
drain all the water off and then put them back in the pan hold the lid on the pan and shake well this roughs up the edges a bit,
then add salt and pepper spray with fry lite and give another shake
put them on the non stick tray and cook for about 30 minutes electric 185
you have to keep a close eye on them as when they are cooked they spoil very quickly if you dont get them out,

for a variation and to make roasties with sunday dinner - prepare the same way but bigger chunks
when you get to the salt and pepper stage stir in a big squirt (if you got a squeezy bottle) or a dessert spoon if not of marmite, then put them in the oven and cook as before they come out delicious and not tasting of marmite and no sins for marmite

I cook mine the same and them come out delicious.

I think you do need to ensure that knofe slips through the potatoe though thats the key! x

- i boil mine till they just hole thier shape, i find the softer the better them come out in the end..

also, i pour my frylight (bad i know) .. and wack it on no. 9 for almost an hour. They'r really nice, but i cant wait tilli get my actifry, so much quicker and better! x

You really need to use Maris pipers to get the best SW chip results - cook them just til they're soft (be careful as they go mushy REALLY quickly).

Lay them out to cool & dry. Put the tray into a very hot oven, then take out, spray the pan, add chips (they should sizzle on contact) then spray the chips well. ta da! :D

Gaz - a lot of people say Actifry chips are free, but our class has been told they're not because even though they're not sitting in the oil they do absorb more than if they were just sprayed.
I would say they're probably half of these amounts;
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Vegetables, Potatoes, chips, homemade, average thickness, deep fried 28g
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
1½ Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 2½ Syns
green.gif
Green 1½ Syns
[/FONT]

ive just made some for me and children for dinner and they were gorgeous... i just cut some potatoes into chips, i dont peel them, then pop em in the microwave for 10-12minutes, spray a tray with fry light and put the chips in, give them a move around add more fry light if necessary and then i put on either some curry powder or black pepper. i think i cook them on 250 degrees for about 45minutes but i dont really time them x

I par boil mine and spray with Frylight and put in my Halogen oven - perfect chips, roasties and wedges every time....lovely.

Back