Hurry up SW own brand foods!

Before SW I followed WW. I know WW works for some people, but for me it didn't teach me to eat healthily - it taught me that I could eat as much cr*p as I wanted as long as I stuck to my Points/Pro-Points. I'd never cook fresh meals when I was following WW, I'd always eat the processed ready meals. .

Then quite honestly you WERENT following WW properly if thats what you were doing.

Starlight said:
You know WW promote the very same principles as SW. Healthy eating and cooking from scratch. Their ready meals like all the other branded ready meals are there for CONVENIENCE. They're not a recommended part of the diet. They're an option they're not what most people who successfully do WW have

Weight watchers is not about processed food and constant snacks the way so many people think. WW actively encourages members to cook just as SW does

If people choose to use their points on Ready meals and junk food then they're not following the principles of WW. It's like someone on SW only eating pasta and sauce, super noodles and mullets. Yes it's sticking to the plan in a way but it's not how SW recommend their diet is followed

This constant misconception about WW drives me nuts

Welshtigger said:
Ww isn't just about ready meals and stuff tho, they encourage people to cook from scratch, in the same way sw do. They offer their range of food to compliment the good plan but it by no means is the main focus.

Great minds eh ;)

It's like someone on SW only eating pasta and sauce, super noodles and mullets. Yes it's sticking to the plan in a way but it's not how SW recommend their diet is followed

someone in my group does exactly this and gets a rough old ride from the consultant - and rightly so. I actually think it's time SW made this not free any more, but that's another story.....

My brief stint with WW taught me that my portions on SW were far too big, but their recipes were fab. I think in the 4 weeks I followed it, I had one ready meal!

going off topic now, sorry!

someone in my group does exactly this and gets a rough old ride from the consultant - and rightly so. I actually think it's time SW made this not free any more, but that's another story.....

My brief stint with WW taught me that my portions on SW were far too big, but their recipes were fab. I think in the 4 weeks I followed it, I had one ready meal!

No your not youre reinforcing that WW done properly is as healthy as SW is :)

jaylou said:

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who thinks that SW don't promote the use of processed needs to consider how many times their consultant has suggested the below as quick & easy meals
Mugshots
Mullerlights
Savoury rice
Pasta n sauce

When in the same amount of time as these take you could knock up a veg stir fry & noodles from scratch.

Then quite honestly you WERENT following WW properly if thats what you were doing.

I didn't say I did that, just that I had learned that if I wanted to, I could. As long as you were to stick within your points allowance, then you're technically not breaking the plan. I know this can go the other way against SW too, as mentioned, with MugShots, SuperNoodles, etc. but for some reason, it seems easier for me not to snack on those kind of foods when I'm on SW.

I understand WW has changed since I left though, and have heard that fruit etc. are now free - if these had been free at the time I was following it, and I had a better understanding of that new plan, my opinion now would probably be very different.

I'm not slating WW, I know it works for hundreds of thousands of people - it just didn't work for me.

You know WW promote the very same principles as SW. Healthy eating and cooking from scratch. Their ready meals like all the other branded ready meals are there for CONVENIENCE. They're not a recommended part of the diet. They're an option they're not what most people who successfully do WW have

Weight watchers is not about processed food and constant snacks the way so many people think. WW actively encourages members to cook just as SW does

If people choose to use their points on Ready meals and junk food then they're not following the principles of WW. It's like someone on SW only eating pasta and sauce, super noodles and mullets. Yes it's sticking to the plan in a way but it's not how SW recommend their diet is followed

You must have had a great leader when you did WW. I'm sad to say that I didn't have the same experience as you - I must have done WW four or five times and often felt that the classes were very much geared to promoting the products. In fact, the leaders almost always brought in WW things for us to try; last time I joined, they'd even graduated to making teeny trial versions of their bars that we got given each week to encourage us to buy!

I did really like that WW had a focus on the 'emotional' side of losing weight, but I never felt encouraged to cook fresh or snack on fruit - one leader told us not to eat bananas ever as we'd gain weight!

As I say though, just my experience.

Starlight said:
It's like someone on SW only eating pasta and sauce, super noodles and mullets.

Sorry but this made me laugh so much!! No wonder people are struggling with sw if they are living off dogdy 1980's footballers hair-do's!!

Seriously, on the issue of ww bashing, I don't necesaarily believe ww promotes unhealthy eating etc. What I think it does do is cash in on the fact that its members may well choose to eat prepackaged foods and the convienience of the points being on the packet. So while the members are all there in the supermarket they'll say "oh i really fancy some chocolate or crisps, but which are best for my diet?" They can easily see the ww branded ones that say five points or whatever on the packet and it goes in the trolley cos its quicker than working out the points for five different things.

I dont think ww do any more of a hard sell on their products that sw do in classes - Im convinced they are on commission from scan bran its the only reason why anyone in their right mind would eat it!!

I think i must be the only person who likes scan bran lol ;)

I don't know what it was like before the changes (simply filling/fruit point free etc) but having done sw for about 2.5 years and changed over to ww for a change I think theres a lot more similarities than I thought from preconceptions I had of ww.
I like the flexibility of the points being able to be used as I wish sometimes and do like the convenience of being able to buy the ww products that are pointed up already for me so am sure some people could benefit from them being available from sw too and have no reason to be embarrassed about the fact. Following a weightloss plan is hard and if something like that would make it easier sometimes then why not!
I am really glad of the time on sw teaching me that I can cook things from scratch though and still use the recipes etc on ww especially if I want a filling meal ;) I have bought a few ww ready meals for standby but find these actually take ages to cook so if want a meal say to heat up at work and can't hog the microwave up for ages I am better off taking a portion of something Id made myself

someone in my group does exactly this and gets a rough old ride from the consultant - and rightly so.
Why 'rightly so'? If the person in question is losing weight by eating convenience foods, then that's entirely her business. If my consultant gave me a 'rough old ride' I'd soon tell her where to shove her Scanbran.

Someone mention this last week at our group and our C said they had done a consumer test in Pontefract I think at Waitrose (could have got that completely wrong lol!) Apparently the meals and SW chips didn't sell so they kicked the idea in the head. Our C is an area manager and a very nice lady, I don't think I've ever laughed as much at any group and I've done both SW and WW.

I found with the WW groups I joined, they did push the products quite a lot. To the point where I got fed up of staying because that was all they were on about. I think a lot of it depends on you C, I've had some really fab ones and some I've hated and left after a few weeks.

I did mention something in group about the muller yogurts yesterday as we were discussing free yogurts, our C said she could eat 10 mullers a day and said if you wanted you could, so I pulled her on this and said I only have 1 a day because I'm diabetic and they are really high in sugar, to which she agreed. I would never have done that at any of the other groups I've been to. I think a lot of it is common sense, there's no way I would eat 10 muller yogurts a day, diabetic or not, if you eat that many you will not lose weight.

Our C is very good at getting you to join in and discuss things, if one member is struggling she gets the whole group to help them, this is something I've not really come across in other groups and it's very motivating, and another thing about her is that she always says she doesn't know everything, she is honest and I really like that, if she is having a rubbish week she is not afraid to say and it makes her feel more human to me and less like a school teacher or judge.

I'm not knocking WW as I have had some good losses on their old plan but since it went to Propoints I just couldn't get the hang of it and being diabetic I always struggled with not having enough carbs. And I loving SW at the mo, I am getting my love of cooking back because I don't feel restricted with my food choices, which I always felt on WW.

My consultant confirmed this tonight, and rather than ready meals etc like WW it will be more along the lines of pasta sauces and soups etc xx

Back