Hurry up SW own brand foods!

That will be interesting then as neither of these qualify for a free food allowance so the syn values for these products won't be any lower than other brands.

Why 'rightly so'? If the person in question is losing weight by eating convenience foods, then that's entirely her business. If my consultant gave me a 'rough old ride' I'd soon tell her where to shove her Scanbran.

Because I don't agree with it - hence "rightly so". I don't think SW is about eating mugshots, pasta in sauce, savoury rice and supernoodles as your staple diet, in fact I have always said I don't think such foods should be syn free (or even low syn).

It's my opinion.

Because I don't agree with it - hence "rightly so". I don't think SW is about eating mugshots, pasta in sauce, savoury rice and supernoodles as your staple diet, in fact I have always said I don't think such foods should be syn free (or even low syn).

It's my opinion.
Yes, it is your opinion. But in my opinion, I don't think that consultants should be giving any of their members a 'rough old ride' for anything. A consultant's job is to encourage and support, not humiliate.

lardylady said:
Yes, it is your opinion. But in my opinion, I don't think that consultants should be giving any of their members a 'rough old ride' for anything. A consultant's job is to encourage and support, not humiliate.

Actually, part of their job is to educate members about making the best food choices. Over processed food is not the best food choice, regardless of whether you are slimming or not, so if a consultant feels someone is relying too much on these types of foods they are doing them a favour by giving them 'a rough old ride' to assist them in seeing this.

Most consultants know whom in their group responds to an arm around the shoulder & who responds to tough love & moderate their behaviour accordingly.

I don't think I said humiliate. I think you are reading what you choose into my text. A "rough old ride" means telling her she shouldn't be eating things like that as the norm and that SW don't really want their members eating such food as part of their staple diet. SW want their members to eat free, not syn free food. In fact there's an interesting thread on here relating to this.

And kingleds is quite right, our consultant does know what her members respond to.

Sw for me is about fresh foods and cooking BUT I wouldn't say no to a slimming world wholemeal naan bread as a HEB (garlic and corriander please). Because my search for wholemeal naan breads is leading me to a dead end. Yes I could make one but it would be big lol.

Mugshots and pasta and sauce have their place as a better option that other quick foods (ie microwave meals) but I couldn't live on them.

I have mugshots or pasta n sauce occasionally but to be honest i find them very bland and i always have to add something to it to give it some flavour, if i'm stuck for time and i haven't prepared anything for work or got something out of the freezee to defrost i take a mugshot and loads of fruit to work - very boring would much rather have my home made chilli or a nicecolourful salad, with pickles and probs chicken or tuna, yum x

I have mugshots or pasta n sauce occasionally but to be honest i find them very bland and i always have to add something to it to give it some flavour, if i'm stuck for time and i haven't prepared anything for work or got something out of the freezee to defrost i take a mugshot and loads of fruit to work - very boring would much rather have my home made chilli or a nicecolourful salad, with pickles and probs chicken or tuna, yum x
I like the pasta sauces, they make good bases for syn free quiches and if you had on with a huge salad you're getting your superfree ands making it more than just a quick snack. :eek:)

targetforever said:
I like the pasta sauces, they make good bases for syn free quiches and if you had on with a huge salad you're getting your superfree ands making it more than just a quick snack. :eek:)
I thought that SW considered using a pasta n sauce in this way was food abuse and you were supposed to syn it?

kingleds said:
I thought that SW considered using a pasta n sauce in this way was food abuse and you were supposed to syn it?

Why would they be food abuse? My c gave us a recipe in class to use them this way.

Hmmm...... do you think an SW packet of crisps would be any less syns than a packet of quavers, french fries, velvet crunch? I doubt it. Probably the same and more expensive to boot!

Curry sauces, garlic bread? Won't be any less syns than the WW or low fat brand in my opinion... bread is bread, approx 6 syns per 60g, not sure how SW could make it any less......

Biscuits.....same as any old biscuit, will be 1 syn per 20 calories.

Like others, I've heard this so many times for many years. It's not necessary, nor I think a good move for SW.

(oh and everyone will then moan about how expensive SW is and how much their food bills have gone up etc etc etc)

*gets off soap box*

brilliant post....couldnt have put it better myself!! would have rep'd you but apparently i got to share the love a little first,lol x

Why would they be food abuse? My c gave us a recipe in class to use them this way.
It is right that some foods used in a different way have to be synned, but a slice of quiche made with a pasta and sauce base ( with loads of syn free salad, jacket potato etc) isn't food abuse. Food abuse are things like lasagne crisps and chick pea cake etc. I too have learned this from my consultant.

Slimbysummer said:

Yeah, but there are consultants who still suggest lasagne crisps, cous cous cake etc, and those are definitely food abuse!

I thought that because you are using a free food in a way it was not designed to used ( like making a quiche out of pasta n sauce) then its considered food abuse.

Could be wrong though.

kingleds said:

Slimbysummer said:

targetforever said:
It is right that some foods used in a different way have to be synned, but a slice of quiche made with a pasta and sauce base ( with loads of syn free salad, jacket potato etc) isn't food abuse. Food abuse are things like lasagne crisps and chick pea cake etc. I too have learned this from my consultant.

It would actually be classed as food abuse, as there is the possibility you'd eat the whole quiche, but you'd struggle to eat a whole pack of pasta and sauce, PLUS a 3 egg omelette, plus a tub of cottage cheese. Basically it all comes down to how quickly you are going to consume the food-and how full you'd get-which is the whole principle of satiation that sw is based around :) just because one consultant agrees with it, doesn't mean it is correct, and as with most 'tweaks' what works for one member won't necessarily work for all. The crucial point here is that newbies don't get given incorrect info :)

I'm sure I've seen the pasta n sauce quiche recipe in an official book or mag, I've heard of a lot of food abuse items before but not this one, not saying you're wrong though, just the first time I've heard this one.

I have a bet on with a SW consultant friend of mine - she keeps hearing vague rumours and I say it will never happen! When WW started putting out their own foods they were owned by Heinz, who did the manufacturing for them. Heinz doesn't own WW any more, but they still have a relationship. If SW produced its own foods it would have to find a suitable manufacturer and product test recipes and go to a lot of trouble and expense and investment, and I don't think it is worth it. (Sorry, but this forum is not letting me divide my text up into paragraphs at the moment!)

Re the pasta in sauce quiche - the rules on this changed at least a year or so back, SW said they didn't want us using these as a base for a quiche. I did email SW to ask about this and got the usual vague response - that it's not advisable, but if you want to do it and your weight loss isn't suffering, then crack on and do so.

I always ask myself this - would a "normal" non-dieting person ever eat such a thing? Probably not. Same goes for cous cous cake, lasagne crisps, chick pea nuts etc etc.

Rules do change, polenta used to be free and you could make a lovely polenta bread, which was free. Not any more.

Re the pasta in sauce quiche - the rules on this changed at least a year or so back, SW said they didn't want us using these as a base for a quiche. I did email SW to ask about this and got the usual vague response - that it's not advisable, but if you want to do it and your weight loss isn't suffering, then crack on and do so.

I always ask myself this - would a "normal" non-dieting person ever eat such a thing? Probably not. Same goes for cous cous cake, lasagne crisps, chick pea nuts etc etc.

Rules do change, polenta used to be free and you could make a lovely polenta bread, which was free. Not any more.

I know what you mean, I just use the rule that if I'm eating these things as part of a meal they're free and if not they're synned, a happy compromise that works for me.

Back