In the news - Woman dies from drinking too much water

Such a shame :-(

Little and often is much safer and I do remember on my Lighterlife induction the lady saying split the day into 4 segments and drink 1/4 in each of them!

M.

I saw the article on Yahoo last night (was too tired to post it).

What annoyed me about the article was the last line .. which said something along the lines of "the recommended daily allowance for a woman is 2.25 litres) which totally ignored the uniqueness of a VLCD.

I drink about 8 pints of water a day, have done ever since I started Atkins. It doesn't say how much she drank.

and Yes, poor woman.

hey jim-it says she drank seven pints in under 2 hours. I dont think it was the quantity she drank, but the short time in what she drank it that killed her.

Indeed it isn't the amout you drink, as the kidneys can recycle (or whatever it is called) 15 litres of water per day...that is what they are made to do...but it is the rate at which you consume the water...too fast and your cells have to get rid of the salts and then they swell (as they take up even more water because of the electrolyte/isotonic imbalance) and this causes tissue swelling which can be fatal if not caught in time (early signs of water toxicity in athletes for example can allow treatment with saline drip)

Such a shame :-(

Little and often is much safer and I do remember on my Lighterlife induction the lady saying split the day into 4 segments and drink 1/4 in each of them!

M.

Thant means one would only get 1 litre per day. I thought LighterLife recommend much more than that?

i think he probably means that the day is split into 4 segments (and also the 4 litres of water) and 1 segment = 1 litre.
at least thats what i think he means!

Or, 4 bottles of water and so.... 1 bottle = 1/4.

ooh, now im confused! lol

Last edited:
i think he probably means that the day is split into 4 segments (and also the 4 litres of water) and 1 segment = 1 litre.
at least thats what i think he means!

Or, 4 bottles of water and so.... 1 bottle = 1/4.

ooh, now im confused! lol

Confused? So am I :confused: :8855:

oh dear, we're not gettin very far are we! :8855::beam: :giggle:

Oh another very sad story from someone who is desperate to loose weight.

I have never tried all these other diets ..like CD or LL what ever they are and I am sure they work for many... but how are they when it comes back to normal eating..

So sad for her family and children she has left behind.

An aside, sorry folks just noticed something - Keeliewheeliebin, I love LP too...apart from their latest album which mostly sucks huge big toes...heh! Chester rawks my boat big time...

Minutes to Midnight? i love that album! (its the album that got me through dad being ill and dying. it was a comfort, my escape and also uplifted me. But it IS very different from their other stuff so in know where you are coming from!) lol. went to see LP this year at Milton Keynes. they rocked big time!!!

Last edited:
Saddia said:
ey jim-it says she drank seven pints in under 2 hours. I dont think it was the quantity she drank, but the short time in what she drank it that killed her.

That doesn't seem a lot to me really, still I suppose it depends on body mass and stuff.

Oh another very sad story from someone who is desperate to loose weight.

I have never tried all these other diets ..like CD or LL what ever they are and I am sure they work for many... but how are they when it comes back to normal eating..

So sad for her family and children she has left behind.

The same way it works for you when you finish your diet....... or else you'd just put the weight back on ...:rolleyes:

Saddia said:

That doesn't seem a lot to me really, still I suppose it depends on body mass and stuff.

7 pints is [give or take] 3.5 litres in under 2 hours, thats an awful lot. My opinion anyway.:eek:

Me mum was going on about this article the other night. "These funny diets are just dangerous and shouldn't be allowed". Aarrgh! No they are not, if you follow the guidelines properly.

It is a terrible shame for the woman and her family though.

AJ

Still love that pic AJ.

Still love that pic AJ.

I can't seem to send that copy anywhere and the original is on my computer which
I can't access at the moment because it is sick:(. I have borrowed my daughter's for the time being.

Are we all set for the New Year? Getting to grips with the food monster? Kicking it's A**E? Sticking it where the sun don't shine, etc?;)

AJ

Back