Insane Ramblings on Route to being Fit & Fabulous Forever

I also wonder why when we're feeling down we need to eat these foods?
I'm wondering wether it stems back to childhood somehow...don't know bout you, but when i wasn't well or upset my mum would give me sweets or a cake?
and if i did well at school or a job for her , same again..
It does seem for a lot of us that we 'need' these food treats for various things?
Like me...I said to my OH when i reach target i want to go out to Dinner and have a huge slice of chocolate fudge cake with cream/ice cream(not bothered about the meal exactly!:D!
Why??
why not a new outfit??
Maybe it's because we ate a lot of these high calorie ''tasty'' foods, and feel somewhat like its a ''Sin'' (not syn! :D) to have these now still...even though we ''can'' as such but not in the proportions we were used to?

I LOVE chocolate(or anything 'sweet'!), and if my weight didn't matter i would prob have it for all meals!:D

But I know that was one of the reasons why my weight went on, and even now , although i still have it , it is such a 'small' amount in comparison, and i still have to try and 'control' the urge not to have the whole packet of something!

And it is getting your head round the thought that if you do have too much say chocolate the satisfaction is only temporary....so now i do try to take my time eating it slowly and really 'savouring' it, even though to me it's not enough:D

Think you're onto something there Zafira, I grew up in a very poor household but with loads of veg and fruit tress - but they weren't special - chocolate was the special treat, we'd sit around the tellie on a Sunday night (for Disneyland lol) and share a bar of Cadburys.

I'm also wanting to get rid of the "reward" or "I deserve..." thing that goes with food, etc - but have absolutely no answers as to how... :eek:

Big hugs Shelley love, you get a good night's rest and hopefully kick that mean cold into touch tomorrow xxx

I can relate completely to what you've written about emotional eating Shelley, could have written that myself and it's something I struggle a lot with at times so I can't offer an answer sadly. Even if I'm just feeling tired one day my thoughts keep drifting to food that will make me feel good but yes, unfortunately that only works for a short time. Well done on not giving in to the tempting cakes at work!

Hope you're feeling a bit better today x

Last edited:
I also wonder why when we're feeling down we need to eat these foods?
I'm wondering wether it stems back to childhood somehow...don't know bout you, but when i wasn't well or upset my mum would give me sweets or a cake?
and if i did well at school or a job for her , same again..
It does seem for a lot of us that we 'need' these food treats for various things?
Like me...I said to my OH when i reach target i want to go out to Dinner and have a huge slice of chocolate fudge cake with cream/ice cream(not bothered about the meal exactly!:D!
Why??
why not a new outfit??
Maybe it's because we ate a lot of these high calorie ''tasty'' foods, and feel somewhat like its a ''Sin'' (not syn! :D) to have these now still...even though we ''can'' as such but not in the proportions we were used to?

I LOVE chocolate(or anything 'sweet'!), and if my weight didn't matter i would prob have it for all meals!:D

But I know that was one of the reasons why my weight went on, and even now , although i still have it , it is such a 'small' amount in comparison, and i still have to try and 'control' the urge not to have the whole packet of something!

And it is getting your head round the thought that if you do have too much say chocolate the satisfaction is only temporary....so now i do try to take my time eating it slowly and really 'savouring' it, even though to me it's not enough:D

Totally agree with you on this one. My mum always bought me a can of full fat pepsi and a mars bar when i came home from school plus two cooked meals a day xx as i got older my mum would cheer me up with paatries or takeaways so definitely think thats why im like i am with food now xx

I agree totally :) When poorly you were "Treated" and "looked after" which for pretty much all of us here stemmed down to food :) It manifests in other ways too, when I get headache I sit and rub my head where my mum would - it's funny how you remember things :)

Doesn't help us now though ;) Hope you feel better soon love x

My mum still tries to push sweet "treats" on us. We used to get food for being good, or when sad and if I didn't finish something I had to sit there until I had. Sneaky eating began as young as 8. I weighed ten stone at aged ten and put on my first diet. Weight watchers at twelve. No wonder Ive always been overweight.

Im pretty sure sorting all this out in our heads is part of a successful journey we are all going to make!

hows your day been ?

edited to say I've just seen "what's the right diet for you" on iplayer. It's one to watch! Especially considering we've been talking about why we overeat.

Last edited:
Evening all,

Thank you for your lovely comments & thoughts. Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles. I agree lots of it is to do with lifelong association of food as a reward. Will have to try and work out best way to combat it though. Denise your post made me chuckle with reward for target being fabulous meal out cause my weight loss buddy & I had said the same then cracked up! We decided maybe nice shopping trip with healthy exotic lunch out but vaguely within plan?!

So bizarre last night about 10 minutes after I wrote my post last night a friend sent me a link to the "Which Diet is Right for You?" Test. Amazingly it showed I was 60+% emotional eater! Luckily the best plan for me is a group diet program :D

Feeling bit better & managed some exercise this morning which really helps boost my mood. It made me wonder if I could employ similar tactics to food as I do exercise? When running if I'm thinking I need to stop I have a mental checklist - do my legs hurt / am I breathless / do I feel light headed & then pick a point a little way ahead and aim to keep going until that landmark then if I still feel bad I can walk. Amazingly I never end up walking.

So when I want to eat naughty food try a checklist - am I hungry / why do I want to eat this / what else could I eat thats on plan then do something else (read a thread on here when possible!) and recheck in 10 minutes do I still want to eat naughty thing?

Worth a go I guess!

Its weigh in tomorrow. Have been good food wise but lots of tablets & not as much exercise. Hoping for a loss but wont be too unhappy if I don't get one (thats such a fib I'll be gutted but understand :p)

Off to catch up with all your news x

Great ideas about the checklists, I'm off to try the diet quiz now I've time. Good luck tomorrow. X

Great ideas about the checklists, I'm off to try the diet quiz now I've time. Good luck tomorrow. X

Whats this diet quiz

Hello Shelley :), hope your feeling much better lovely. Sorry I've not been around much, but have missed you ;). Good luck for tomorrow hun, I know your going to do smashing ! :D

Kay xx

:bighug:

I really think mantras might work too - I used to poo poo the whole idea of retraining your brain - but years ago, when I was working in a really demanding job with lots of travel, I told a friend i was terrified of forgetting to order a wake up call and sleeping in, and she said: "Before you go to sleep, say to yourself out loud - 6 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 6 o'clock" - and blow me down but it worked every time. I still do it now occasionally.

So maybe we could work out some quick lines to say before we go to sleep to see if it sinks in? A bit like Paul McKenna?

So maybe we could work out some quick lines to say before we go to sleep to see if it sinks in? A bit like Paul McKenna?

Liking this idea will work on my Mantra later! Its was on QI one week about the waking yourself by repeat the time before sleep or something like that?

I think if we can harness our brain it can do amazing things but can also be a pain in the bottom if it plays silly b*ggers!

So I went to class tonight - which was heaving again another 13 newbies. Whole group lost an amazing 11 and a bit stone :eek: I lost 2.5 which is fabulous but left me a mere teeny tiny 0.5 of a pound away from my lovely 9 stone loss. That shiny sticker will be mine next week. Even if I have to chop off a few toes!

Feeling much better but voice still patchy! Skipped run this morning as it was very windy & wet. I was trying to be sensible thinking if I go out in this likely to be sicker for longer but really hope to be back out there at the weekend :rolleyes:

Made a daft error today as hadn't had time to do my meal plan and shopping list so winged it at the supermarket. Be prepared for some slightly odd meal combos over the next week :8855:

I lost 2.5 which is fabulous but left me a mere teeny tiny 0.5 of a pound away from my lovely 9 stone loss. That shiny sticker will be mine next week. Even if I have to chop off a few toes!...................Made a daft error today as hadn't had time to do my meal plan and shopping list so winged it at the supermarket. Be prepared for some slightly odd meal combos over the next week :8855:

Noooo not the toes! :) That sticker will definitely be yours hun - and oh my what an incredible achievement it will be!!!!!!

Looking forward to the food combos :D

Not having much joy with the Muller ice cream idea - can't seem to catch it between being all icy and all watery...sigh...

that sticker will be yours and what an achievement lovely and you deserve it hun looking forward to see the combo meals mine seem to be getting really weird but heyho least its healthy lol

I really think mantras might work too - I used to poo poo the whole idea of retraining your brain - but years ago, when I was working in a really demanding job with lots of travel, I told a friend i was terrified of forgetting to order a wake up call and sleeping in, and she said: "Before you go to sleep, say to yourself out loud - 6 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 6 o'clock" - and blow me down but it worked every time. I still do it now occasionally.

It really does work well doesn't it :) I do that too - banging my head on the pillow as many times as I want (ie -7 times for 7am) as was told to me - look a bit daft but it works ;)

Back