is any1 else embarassed when someone mentions they look like theyve lost weight?

bluedress21

I know this is crazy! And don't get me wrong I'm so proud that I'm losing weight but I feel embarassed now people are noticing. When my b/f or close friend or family say it I'm really happy but my work colleagues and b/fs family have started mentioning it and although they are really kind positive comments I feel embarassed about it and would rather them not mention it! Does any1 else feel like this or is there something wrong with me?? ..
Also I have a christening in oct and I'm worried about going I don't want to feel uncomfortable with everybody saying to me!! X

I do actually know just what you mean. Although the comments are compliments and meant well they can embarrass. If you are the type of person who doen't like drawing attention to themselves then any comments, good or bad, can make you feel awkward. However, remember that once they have commented they wont again and will get used to the 'new you'! Well done on your losses so far.x

Yes suppose that's true! I'm glad u know what I mean! My b/f thinks I'm wierd! Because I keep saying to him I hope they don't say anything and "don't tell them I'm on a diet" lol so silly I know!

If it's silly then I'm a charter member of the club! I don't like it either, well from some people I don't mind but I hate it when they gush on and on and from others I just downright loathe it when they say something. And then the "how much have you lost" question nearly kills me every time!

On the other hand, the last 2 times I've seen her the bf's mother stares at me as though I've got a banana growing from my ear. Also rather annoying!

If it's silly then I'm a charter member of the club! I don't like it either, well from some people I don't mind but I hate it when they gush on and on and from others I just downright loathe it when they say something. And then the "how much have you lost" question nearly kills me every time!

On the other hand, the last 2 times I've seen her the bf's mother stares at me as though I've got a banana growing from my ear. Also rather annoying!

Hahahaha this made me laugh out loud! And I'm ment to be working lol! I hate the how much have u lost question because u can't not tell them really! And although I like it when I can say a big number I feel like soon they ill be able to judge how much I weigh! And I don't want any 1 to know that!

Precisely! I'd really rather not just blab all over the place that I once weighed 250 (gulp) lbs. I can usually get away with saying 'I've lost quite a bit', or sometimes I change the subject and say 'I would still like to lose a bit more'. It's just really a private thing for me. Maybe a few years down the road I'll feel comfortable telling people the numbers, but for now they just better climb down off my back! Hehe :)

And get back to work you!

Yes I might try saying that now! But I have to give a bloomin weekly update at work! I try and not mention anything about the diet but someone remembers

Im a very lively and loud person but when someone who doesnt know Im dieting tells me I have lost weight I go all quiet, get embaressed and say no!

I dont like too many people knowing Im on a diet, and it also annoys me when people who know Im doing it ask me about it all the time. Yesterday when I had my 2nd weigh in and only lost 2.86lb compared to 11.9lbs the 1st my mother in law asked me why and what went wrong! She's a sweetheart though and just doesnt understand water retention, metabolism etc!

I know its hard isn't it! ... I would say I'm a shy person but lost abit of confidence due to all the weight I've put on! I really really don't want to tell the ppl I work with how much ive lost each week but they constanly ask and ask if I'm still doing it and when I'm going to start eating and so on! My office is small so everyone hears conversations I'm 22 and the woman that asks is a lot older and quite intimidating lol (which is unusall for me I'm not intimidated easily) I don't feel like I could brush it off! On my bad weeks where I put on 2lb and lost 2lb I just lied to them! Which Is annoying because I shouldn't have to!
Also the cheeky cow asked what size I was which was awkward! .. I didn't say!

Oh an thankyouu :)

I dont mind sharing my progress with the girls in my dept, I even call them after my weigh ins, but they support me cos they have seen me go up and down and up again about 130lbs so they are really glad about my progress.

After my first weigh in I went to get a few bits and pieces for my office wardroe and the assistant asked me if I was pregnant and that was after 11.9lb loss!

I think Im going to just ignore everything and everyone, yeah I overweight, yeah Im on a diet, what it to you? is going to be my attitude!

Just reading this thread comforts me so much, its so nice to know you all feel my pain and experience all the awkward things I do. I cant handle the constant questions!

Totally know what you mean!!!!! I haven't told anyone at work (having learnt the hard way at my previous job-some people just lecture about how dangerous it is and how much damage you're doing yourself and how youre so lovely you shouldn't ever diet-stick thin ones with hyper thyroids who'll never need to diet!!) and I feel it's my personal life. If Any one at home mentions it I'm like yay and at work I really brush it off because I don't want to go into the ins and outs.

I'm hoping as I see them every day, they won't notice til I'm 4st down and leaving!!!!!

Just reading this thread comforts me so much, its so nice to know you all feel my pain and experience all the awkward things I do. I cant handle the constant questions!

Yeah its great the way writing and expressing our thought and readin comments makes us feel like we have support by people who know how we feel, who really know how we feel.

Lol, well 4st in a as and when thy happens ;) but yes blind, largely male and well you know how it is when you see someone day in day out, they would notice if I shaved my hair but not much else!! No one notice my 2.5st weight loss at my last job!!! Not even my pupils!!! Even tho my trousers/tights kept nearly falling down!!!!

Love job but contract ends at Xmas. So the stressful job hunting for a more permanent position begins :(

I look like I'm illiterate damn iPhone!!!

As and when the 4st happens is what it should say!!!!!

It is embarrassing!
I think it's because the weight comes off quite quickly but our minds don't catch up, when bigger the last thing we want is for people to look at us, so when they start noticing and commenting it makes you feel self-conscious.
Your brain needs time to adapt, the amount of times I have heard people who have lost a lot of weight say that they don't see it, or they still feel fat - well, it's a lot!
Suck up the positive comments, you'll get used to it :0) xx

Back