Johnson up day down day diet!

Thats great Ann, the more the merrier! It really helps keep up the enthusiasm knowing that other people are watching out progress with a view to joining. I have had 150 cals so far today and it is going really well. Just got back from work and ahd a lovely bowl of melon, cherries, starwberries and pineapple, all carefully weighed and very delicious. I do feel the DD cals need to be really healthy ones as they are so few. I mean you could just have a packet of biscuits and then nothing else ( hang on, that sounds a bloomin' good idea, joking, it doesn't really) but you need to feel well and able to cope and junk food just doesn't do that does it?

Love

Hy, JUDDDers!

I am one of those watching with great interest. When I was falling off SS a lot in the later stages I decided to swap to a 'Weight Watcher Wendies' approach. I ate between 1000-1200 calories for two straight days, followed by 600-800 calories on the other two days. I got very good results but was at that time still trying to keep carbs to a bare minimum.

WW do it by varying 'points' of course, but the principle of eating more calories on some days than on others has been with us since the late 1970's, at least.

It does work as long as you don't go totally wild on the higher cal days, nor allow the lower cal day totals to stealthily creep up.

You're all doing great so far on the Johnson plan. Better still, you're enjoying it!

I'm not expecting breath-taking losses skinnygirl ... but it would be nice to lose a couple of pounds at least.

As it was, because I was messing about on SS, I was getting impressive losses one week follwed by gains the next. Averaged out, I wasn't losing more than the equivelent of a couple of pounds a week anyway. So if I can lose that AND have food as well, I'll be well pleased :)

I'm also waiting to see the results, i'm off to disney in paris next week but when i get back i will check out your losses and consider giving it a go.

Good luck judders

2nd DD, 3lbs off 11,13 again this morning. Will try not to have a naughty up day & see if I can keep going down!

I'm reading all of these JUDDD posts with interest! Might have a go myself this week (My week starts on a Sunday!)
See how it goes!

Great Alipally, I am sure you will love it. I am 3.75lbs down today and feeling chuffed!

Hi

Finished my 3rd up day yesterday, about to start my 3rd down day. 1st week weigh & measure tomorrow morning as it's supposed to be the morning after a down day.

Have noticed that my morning after UDs are dropping - I wonder if that will continue...

12,1 start on UD
12,3 DD
11,13 UD
12,2 DD
11,13 UD
12,1 DD

So far I have maintained my weight perfectly despite eating about 3,000 cals on the UDs, (which I intend to tone down quite a lot) but my UD gains have been 12,3, 12,2 and then today 12,1 so it's dropping. The only way I'll get weight loss on this regime is when my UD gain weight is less than my starting point every week. It does seem slightly cheating to do the weigh & measure after a down day, the way they tell us to, as that will go up again the day after. Will probably stick with this at least until my parents go on holiday on Friday, depends if my weightloss is real and continues down... If not I'm back tentatively to Slimfast. Although I will try & tone down my up days a bit so that they're closer to 2,000 cals.

I think with going so overboard my cals aren't 40% down for the week the way they should be. Oh dear!

Hi Anja, Maybe on your up-days you could try to think more like Paul Mckenna and only eat when hungry, eat slowly, and stop as soon as your stomach is satisfied? That way you can still have anything you fancy but naturally limit the calories?? What d'you think?

p.s. like many others I'm watching with interest how everyone's getting on with this. Still not allowed back to CD for another week... wondering whether to try JUDDDD by combining the Pmk I'm doing now with CD? BUT will my CDC supply me if I'm honest about it?

this is a very interesting thread but I can't help feeling that it can't be healthy to effectively binge one day and starve the next... just my take on it but if its what works for some folks then fair dos, I shall keep watching with interest.. my fear would be that the UD begin to encourage old bad eating habits back into life (albeit on an every other day basis) and that they would ultimately slide into the DDs too.

I think that in time (say 2 or 3 months) those who trying it will either continue to sing the JUDDDs praises or, as is often the case with 'new' diets, be back where they started or worse.. :( I hope it's the former!!

Good luck to all of you who are doing the JUDDD diet. I hope it is the answer for you :D

The only way I'll get weight loss on this regime is when my UD gain weight is less than my starting point every week. It does seem slightly cheating to do the weigh & measure after a down day, the way they tell us to, as that will go up again the day after.

I've often thought of that bit as slightly cheating too:D I think it's because the down day is more reliable in terms of water retention. I don't think it's a reliable final weight though. I would definitely go for comparing the UDs.

Hi Anja, Maybe on your up-days you could try to think more like Paul Mckenna

Yes. I often think of this diet as part VLCD and part non-dieting method (PMcK etc). Not sure I'd go with the stopping when satisfied though. That would never have worked for me:rolleyes:.

They say you can just about get away with 80% more than your maintenance calories on the UDs and still get a loss, but I reckon it would be very slow for most or for it to register on the scales from week to week. You would possibly notice a difference from month to month if you were very patient:rolleyes:

Sometimes you just have to go a bit wild if you have been dieting for a long time to get it out of your system :D Then you need to settle it down a bit;)

Please Please someone..... anyone.... If you're doing CD for DD's are you honest with CDC or not? If not, what are you saying you're doing? Is there a CD plan that would substitute as an explanation for how many shakes you need? And that you'd be happy to pretend to be doing? If I decide to go with JUDDDD I'll need to buy CD, but just don't know what to say?

You don't have to use CD though. Okay...CD has 'staying powers' but there are other things you can use.

A protein shake from a health food shop? That would be similar. The sero bars are yummy. I use them sometimes for a quick lunch. The 'chewy' ones are really nice and packed with vits and minerals.

1/2 a bar is something like 105 calories.

Or you could do normal food;)

So, just an alternative way if it's not so easy to get to a CDC

Hi Lesley
I have three CD packs on my DDs with the full knowledge of my CDC. She is fine with it as it's no different from, say, using CD as a 'tool' to maintain once your each your goal. Or even doing the CD 1000 route and using fewer packs. It sort of works out the same.

I just find it easier to DD on CD as the 'thinking' element is removed: I have three packs - it's a tad over 500 cals and that's it.

I know RussianDoll is getting her CD from her CDC with no problems, she explained what she was doing and her CDC was fine with it. Presumably as it is a business she would rather sell her goods than not?

I hear what you are saying Anja and I too see a slight up after an up day but it is only .5lb and so that does not trouble me. Over all at this point having done 3 downs and 3 ups I am 3.25lbs down on my start. However I have not gone mad on my UD, probably having around 2000 -2200 cals. I think this is the key, you can enjoy but you mustn't have a blow out or you are binging and starving and that is not good, as FFNF points out very wisely!

My other thing is that I eat on my 500 cal day - I am absolutely accurate and literally weigh every lettuce leaf but I do have 500. It has become quite interesting to see how far i can make that 500 stretch, in a way I think that keeps the interest going on a DD.

I am loving this plan, it is liberating me from the feeling of deprivation and monotony that I normally feel with an ordinary 'diet'. For the first time I can see myself following a plan from beginning to end - thats a whole new perspective!

We've done it again RD!

I'm doing supermarket Slimfast along with the occasional CD pack leftover. I only have about 4 tetras left before I run out... Slimfast peach & mango smoothies are divine but I'm only doing 2 a day on the down day.

Jenny - when you get to a certain point near the end it becomes more & more hard to SS. It happens to everyone, you'll find it out soon enough. I tried again recently to SS and found that I was pretty much on 1 week & off the next. The staying power for SS is hard BUT if you do 1 day as a fast day & the next day as an eat day it's easy. You only have to think 1 day at a time, even I can do that. The idea ISN'T to binge every UD but to eat satisfying food & what you like. If you stuff rubbish every UD then you won't lose weight & you'll tire & move onto something else. If you do it all week properly you've cut your calories by 40% ASSUMING that you don't go to overboard on the up days which is the problem I'm having this week. Down days are no cheating, I'd think myself pathetic if I couldn't even do one day with the knowledge that I can eat again tomorrow but at the moment the majority of the overkill going on was tonnes of birthday celebrations in our house. My mum goes on hols for 2 months on Friday & we were celebrating her 65th, my dad's 60th & my brother's fiancée's birthday all at once. Monday onwards should be much calmer with no party food or meals out. Next week will be better...

Starving & fasting was our way of eating in caveman times. It can't hurt us in the longterm as if it did humans would never have survived to this day.

The other improtant thing to remember with this diet is the health bonuses, a major reason that I have decided to do it. The unlocking of the gene SIRT1 will have a big effect on my allergies and asthma and as far as I am concerned that's reason enough without the weight loss, with the weight loss it is far to good to miss!

I think it is like any other plan, if you stick to the rules you will lose, if you don't, you won't! The difference, as Anja says, is it really is just one day at a time, it is not a life sentance of never eating what you fancy again!

I am totally convinced by the science behind it and the practicality of doing it. As far as I am concerned it is a plan for life with a very do-able maintenance phase.

Back